Men playing from the Red Tee's

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure we have a mens rating off the reds which seems a shame as it would be fun to play that once in a while

I agree! Never played the reds at my club - I plan to do so now on a quiet evening in summer. Would be good to have one competition a year off the reds.

I think the biggest difference on my course would be the par threes:
3rd is 205 off the whites, 140 reds
10th is 195 whites, 125 reds
17th is 175 whites, 120 reds
That's the difference between a long iron and a pitching wedge for me.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the winter the forward tees can present a very enjoyable challenge as our Reds have turned out to be. With 39pts being 'playing to your H/cap' we have been getting just 42pts winning the Stablefords & 45pts the Pairs. Quite unexpected.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ive posted about it before....some of our Red tee drives, for the average to decent male distance, makes some our holes more difficult as many hazards not normally in reach are now very much in play.
Some tees are off to one side and bring slopes into play thar we don't normally have to deal with.
That change of angle often means I would hit a shorter shot than I would from the whites..leaving me in a similar place with a similar 2nd shot.
The Scratch players, with their extra length would kill it but average guys would struggle.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play from the red tees all winter when I go in my own for a practice.
The mens tees are all on mats whilst the ladies are mainly on grass. I'm using driver most holes so not like I am taking divots out of them
And the holes you don't take a driver?

Are all men allowed to do what you do?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just seen this in the notes from the AGM from the society I used to play with.
Looks like the Soanish Golf Federacion allow players to use the blue tees if they are over the age of 70.
Most courses do have blue tees between the reds and yellows, so might be suitable for the OP when he’s out there.
IMG_3347.jpeg

D-S

Visit site
Looks like the Soanish Golf Federacion allow players to use the blue tees if they are over the age of 70.
Most courses do have blue tees between the reds and yellows, so might be suitable for the OP when he’s out there.
View attachment 51538
Why can't societies/roll up groups just follow the rules of handicapping instead of just making it up as they go on? Much easier and more consistent in the long run, to say nothing of being fairer.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why can't societies/roll up groups just follow the rules of handicapping instead of just making it up as they go on? Much easier and more consistent in the long run, to say nothing of being fairer.

No idea, nobody seemed to mind our handicapping system to be fair, I’d imagine they wanted something simple to calculate for when new people joined, which naturally happens a lot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 51538
Any idea what "without losing any shots" is all about?

D

Deleted member 15344

All the swindles I play in use a different HC system and it’s helped to ensure it’s not the same winning each week - one group use the old system and the other uses a system that includes a standard scratch and everyone is cut who is above it - works well

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Would they normally be playing the reds? Are the blues longer than the reds?

Normally they'd be playing the yellows. The blues are between the reds and yellows, and would have probably been originally designed as the ladies competition tees - when the lad played in comps over there, they'd often use the blue tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our Saturday roll up cuts the winner 2 shots for the next three Saturdays they play in and second gets cut 1 for the same period. Makes it more enjoyable with money being spread more evenly. I think last year we had 28 people picking up cash as some time or another out of a total of something like 45 who played (some of those only played once or twice) so almost 2/3 of the group won something

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
End of last year our Red Tees (previously only Ladies Back Tees) were rated for Men with CR of four under par. Would be interesting to see how I got on playing from them so might occasionally give it a go when out by myself.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Saturday roll up cuts the winner 2 shots for the next three Saturdays they play in and second gets cut 1 for the same period. Makes it more enjoyable with money being spread more evenly. I think last year we had 28 people picking up cash as some time or another out of a total of something like 45 who played (some of those only played once or twice) so almost 2/3 of the group won something
Do they not submit GP cards or enter the Comp when course is Q?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do they not submit GP cards or enter the Comp when course is Q?
We all submit general play cards but the roll-up is run with its own handicapping scheme with cuts for winners. The shots simply come off that persons PH given their handicap on that day. It is a separate thing from any Q comp the club runs and we all play in most of these (weekends for me as I work) co handicaps as up to date as possible

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We all submit general play cards but the roll-up is run with its own handicapping scheme with cuts for winners. The shots simply come off that persons PH given their handicap on that day. It is a separate thing from any Q comp the club runs and we all play in most of these (weekends for me as I work) co handicaps as up to date as possible
It sounds like their score from the roll-up is not submitted to their WHS record which seems rather odd or do you have gimmies etc?