Newmachar hawkshill

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played here yesterday with Adasko.
I had played here before about 17 year ago when I'd first started playing and to put it bluntly, it took me to the cleaners so always wanted to have another crack at it.
Beautiful day with a slight breeze. Warned before play by the guy in the shop the course was very dry and firm at present. It's a Dave Thomas design, I'd only ever played a couple of his courses before, Spey Valley and one in the Borders, which slips my mind.
The course has some great short par 4s and a couple of great risk reward par 5s. It only has three par 3s one over water one very similar to the 6th at SV. Interestingly it is slope rated 141 and CR 73.3 off the white at 6573.
Every hole is tree lines some with mature pine,plenty of dogleg too. Some really great short holes, some quite reminded me of the wee course at Blairgowrie. Played OK and was 1 under through 7 but bogey Ed the last two on the front 9 and a few bogeys on the start of the front, mostly down to putting really, wasn't as aggressive and left a few short. But finished strong with two easy pars.
A greatly under rated course, very enjoyable. Greens were good and firm, but everywhere else was rock hard so if you were short of the green you got a firm bounce off a slope and it was hard to get up and down, also if you didn't hit the middle of the fairway and caught the edge you got a firm bounce in to the trees.
If you are in the area and want a break from links golf I'd highly recommend here.
A big thanks to Adasko, hope you get your new irons soon and get your confidence back👍