World Handicap System (WHS)

Swango1980

Visit site
There won't be any categories in the WHS.
There is no limit on the number of scores that may be returned in a day
At the moment there is a limit on supplementary cards for Cat 1 players. Is that because Cat 1 players are effectively the elite at club level, and are pushing to represent the County, so there are tighter restrictions (like others such as, at annual review, not being allowed to reduce a handicap into Cat 1)

If so, will these same players have any tighter restrictions under WHS?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the moment there is a limit on supplementary cards for Cat 1 players. Is that because Cat 1 players are effectively the elite at club level, and are pushing to represent the County, so there are tighter restrictions (like others such as, at annual review, not being allowed to reduce a handicap into Cat 1)

1) Yes
2) No. Nothing in WHS but that doesn't mean that the counties or England Golf won't require a beadier eye to be kept on them outside the system. But I think it unlikely as they are putting their trust in the WHS system being more rigorous.
At present counties do an audit of cat 1 players and I don't see that being dropped but perhaps being concentrated on 2 or better (say)

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Another question on rounding issues.

On the presentation slides the Course handicap calculation is shown as:

15.6 (HI) x 1.05(Slope) =16.4(Course Hcap) Using those multipliers the Course Handicap = 16.38 so the handicap has logically been rounded up.

The figure of 16.4 is used on Playing Handicap Calculation slide as follows:

16.4 (CH) x 95% (Allowance) = 15.5 (Playing Handicap) Using those multipliers the Playing Handicap = 15.58 so the handicap has been rounded down.

This is rather confusing unless I am missing something.

Can anyone explain.

Swango1980

Visit site

15.6 (HI) x 1.05(Slope) =16.4(Course Hcap) Using those multipliers the Course Handicap = 16.38 so the handicap has logically been rounded up.

16.4 (CH) x 95% (Allowance) = 15.5 (Playing Handicap) Using those multipliers the Playing Handicap = 15.58 so the handicap has been rounded down.

Can anyone explain.
It's a good question. The intention may be blindingly obvious to those that develop the WHS, but no doubt golfers around the country at every club will be trying to figure out the same thing when they come to working out their course and playing handicaps.

It is my expectation that the course handicap will simply be displayed on a chart at the club, so ultimately the golfer will not need to work it out.

However, I'm not sure about playing handicap. Given that players currently only use their whole number handicap when working out 90% the difference in fourball match play, I assume their expectation would be to take 95% of their whole number Course Handicap. However, given your comment, I would be wrong in this, and it will be based on the decimal course handicap. I'm not sure if playing handicap will also be displayed on these charts, but if not, I will enjoy watching some members trying to work out 95% of a non whole number. I could just tell them, don't worry, all you need to do is divide 16.4 by 10 to get 1.64 (10%), then divide it by 2 to get 0.82, and that will be 5%. Then, take the 0.82 (5%) off your 16.4 (100%) to get your playing handicap of 15.58 (95%). I think the easier response would be "does your phone have a calculator?"

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can anyone explain.
The calculation is always done to 1 dec place rounded conventionally.
The resultant figure is rounded conventionally to a whole number.

So the slides I presented a couple of weeks at one of the county seminars ago show:

(Handicap Index) * (Slope / 113) = (Course Handicap)
.........15.6.....................1.05..................16.4 (16)

(Course Handicap) * (Allowance) = (Playing Handicap)
..........16.4.....................95%.................15.5 (16)

When I presented this, I was immediately asked 'How do we know our 1 dec place CH as the charts only show whole numbers'. The EG representative didn't know the answer and my briefing notes gave no clue. I am now awaiting a clear answer from Woodhall Spa.
My guess is they expect the software to sort it out and display it on entry to a comp or pre-registration for a 'casual' score.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There will be no Categories under the WHS

The only 'restrictions' will apply to males with a handicap of zero or better or ladies with a handicap of 2 or better (from today's Area Authority briefing)

Swango1980

Visit site

So the slides I presented a couple of weeks at one of the county seminars ago show:

When I presented this, I was immediately asked 'How do we know our 1 dec place CH as the charts only show whole numbers'. The EG representative didn't know the answer and my briefing notes gave no clue. I am now awaiting a clear answer from Woodhall Spa.
My guess is they expect the software to sort it out and display it on entry to a comp or pre-registration for a 'casual' score.
I shall be attending the meeting at Woodhall next week. Will be interesting

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I shall be attending the meeting at Woodhall next week. Will be interesting

Went to mine today.

Lots of stuff I had not heard before too much to really take in and remember but enough to clear out a lot of the what ifs and maybes. Looking forward to seeing it all in writing.

Dorset Golf Union has a really good FAQS (downloadable PDF) via the WHS2020 tab

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I asked this specifically of England Golf when I saw the slides.

Their answer was the slides were correct!

The Course Handicap calculation – which will be used for social golf and rounded. It will normally be read from a table in the clubhouse and give an integer number.

The Playing Handicap calculation is a competition handicap and has the decimal point from the Course Handicap calculation carried into the 95% calculation, which is then rounded at the end. It is expected that when you sign into the competition on the computer this calculation will be done for you.

Simples ....................... (or not)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) Their answer was the slides were correct!

2) It is expected that when you sign into the competition on the computer this calculation will be done for you.
1) Odd. The version I presented were that sent to me by EG. I wonder where yours showing a second decimal came from.
2) As I thought.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
This is sounding more and more like a minefield in a quagmire.

Suppose two players turn up to play a match and don't have any access to a computer terminal to determine their exact (to one decimal place) Course Handicaps?

Half of our members struggle with 90% of an integer. Its going to send a load of them to the great golf course in the sky if they have to try to do 95% of a decimal number!!!

and a fourball scramble??? 25% of 6.3 + 20% of 11.8 + 15% of 18.4 + 10% of 37.1.... yeah I can see that going down a storm!!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once upon a time score cards had % conversions on the back. But that was for whole numbers. There won't be room for decimals

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Dorset Golf Union has a really good FAQS (downloadable PDF) via the WHS2020 tab

Indeed it does, and one of the FAQ's is...

Q:If my handicap index is calculated to one decimal point, what will be my exact handicap?
A: A player’s handicap index is calculated to one decimal place. When the course handicap is calculated it will be rounded to the nearest integer.

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed it does, and one of the FAQ's is...

Q:If my handicap index is calculated to one decimal point, what will be my exact handicap?
A: A player’s handicap index is calculated to one decimal place. When the course handicap is calculated it will be rounded to the nearest integer.
So, from what I am reading, are we saying players will need to work out their own playing handicap? The answer seems to be, we are not sure if it is worked out using the course handicap ro a decimal place or an integer? But, we do not need to worry as the computer will just work it out. So, does that mean we are 100% reliant on the computer?

Just wondering what we'll do when we go and play a social weekend away with a mate or 2 (or something like our Captains weekend which 27 of us are playing). We'll not have a computer to help us there. I know it's only social, so we're not getting a DQ if everyone thinks it's been done correctly. But, it would be nice to be sure we had done the calculation correctly. Although, I bet it will still annoy some that they need to figure out 95% of a number, even if they knew it was a decimal or integer they were starting from

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So, from what I am reading, are we saying players will need to work out their own playing handicap? The answer seems to be, we are not sure if it is worked out using the course handicap ro a decimal place or an integer? But, we do not need to worry as the computer will just work it out. So, does that mean we are 100% reliant on the computer?

Just wondering what we'll do when we go and play a social weekend away with a mate or 2 (or something like our Captains weekend which 27 of us are playing). We'll not have a computer to help us there. I know it's only social, so we're not getting a DQ if everyone thinks it's been done correctly. But, it would be nice to be sure we had done the calculation correctly. Although, I bet it will still annoy some that they need to figure out 95% of a number, even if they knew it was a decimal or integer they were starting from
You will be able to log on to your account via the PSI of the course you are visiting, or use an app on your smart phone if your ir anyone in the party has one.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This from the fully published USGA manual.

Course Handicap
Note:
The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
> Applying adjustments for maximum hole score (see Rule 3.1) and when a hole is not played (see Rule 3.2).
> Where applicable, calculating a Score Differential.
Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is sounding more and more like a minefield in a quagmire.

Suppose two players turn up to play a match and don't have any access to a computer terminal to determine their exact (to one decimal place) Course Handicaps?

Half of our members struggle with 90% of an integer. Its going to send a load of them to the great golf course in the sky if they have to try to do 95% of a decimal number!!!

and a fourball scramble??? 25% of 6.3 + 20% of 11.8 + 15% of 18.4 + 10% of 37.1.... yeah I can see that going down a storm!!!
yes, thats def easier that what we have now........ not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You will be able to log on to your account via the PSI of the course you are visiting, or use an app on your smart phone if your ir anyone in the party has one.

and what do you do if you don't have access to the PSI.....if there ISNT a PSI????

What is this mythical App than folks keep talking about....as yet it does not exist so you cannot rely on it being available.