World Handicap System (WHS)

Swango1980

Visit site
Would a Suffolk player do (especially as we are the 2nd driest county in the country!!) ???

Since 2011, dividng the year up into quarters our CSS has moved on average...

DEC-FEB : +1.27 (taking out a couple of statistical outliers this actually comes down to 0.95)
MAR-MAY: +0.52
JUN-AUG: +0.05
SEP-NOV: +0.34

(there were no obvious statistical outliers in the other 3 quarters)
Interesting. The following is for my course, in Lincolnshire over the last 3 years

DEC-FEB : -0.38
MAR-MAY: +0.60
JUN-AUG: -0.11
SEP-NOV: -0.05

March - May is obviously a very tough time, not once has CSS been under SSS. Whereas, Dec - Feb only once has CSS been 1 higher than SSS, but half the comps it was 1 under

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting. The following is for my course, in Lincolnshire over the last 3 years

DEC-FEB : -0.38
MAR-MAY: +0.60
JUN-AUG: -0.11
SEP-NOV: -0.05

March - May is obviously a very tough time, not once has CSS been under SSS. Whereas, Dec - Feb only once has CSS been 1 higher than SSS, but half the comps it was 1 under
Gosh. I thought it had been pretty wet south of Yorkshire. What sort of ground are you on? Similar to Woodhall Spa?

Swango1980

Visit site
Gosh. I thought it had been pretty wet south of Yorkshire. What sort of ground are you on? Similar to Woodhall Spa?
Not at all. It is clay. Still, we do tend to stay open all year, and usually just have to put up with 2-3 very boggy holes. This year, however, only got 1 winter qualifier in, as been on more than 2 temps, and 17th tee box had to be moved so far forward that it becomes a 100 yard par 3 instead of a 170 yard par 4

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, from a Kent perspective, we tend to ease the teeing area strain by using more forward tees in the winter (within the permitted scope obviously) and I've noticed many other courses in the area do the same thing.
We have year round Q

Due to the size of our teeing areas we dont really have this option except on maybe 1 or 2 holes.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Who did the presentation? The County or a club member? They must have been using the wrong slideshow. I did a County presentation last Friday and am looking at the England Golf powerpoint show now. (CR-Par) is not in the formula.

Finally got hold of a copy of the presentation and can confirm that it was my memory that failed me.

Heres a question though about the mechanics of the calculation of the course handicap...

Do you do the Handicap Index*Slope Rating/133 calculation and then round to a whole number to get the course handicap? or...

Do you do Slope/133, round this answer to 2 decimal places and then multiply by the handicap index, and then round that result to a whole number?

Consider a slope rating of 124 and a handicap index of 5.

Using the first method...5*124/113 = 5.4867*.....rounding this to a whole number gives a course handicap of 5

Using the second way...124/113 = 1.0973*....round this to 2 decimal places gives 1.10. 5*1.10 = 5.5 which rounds to a course handicap of 6.

(If you use indexes of 4.9 or 5.1 in the calculation this error does not occur)

*I arbitrarily chose to show the resulting calculation to 4 decimal places)

This question is prompted by the example given in the presentation, where the slope/113 part of the calculation is shown as a separate step, to 2 decimal places. If you were doing the calculation on a calculator or in a spreadsheet you would simply do index * slope / 113 and then do the rounding.

This is a subtle difference but could be important for those clubs who want to calculate and produce their own Course Handicap Tables rather than fork out £150 to have Eagle do it for them.

Swango1980

Visit site
Finally got hold of a copy of the presentation and can confirm that it was my memory that failed me.

Heres a question though about the mechanics of the calculation of the course handicap...

Do you do the Handicap Index*Slope Rating/133 calculation and then round to a whole number to get the course handicap? or...

Do you do Slope/133, round this answer to 2 decimal places and then multiply by the handicap index, and then round that result to a whole number?

Consider a slope rating of 124 and a handicap index of 5.

Using the first method...5*124/113 = 5.4867*.....rounding this to a whole number gives a course handicap of 5

Using the second way...124/113 = 1.0973*....round this to 2 decimal places gives 1.10. 5*1.10 = 5.5 which rounds to a course handicap of 6.

(If you use indexes of 4.9 or 5.1 in the calculation this error does not occur)

*I arbitrarily chose to show the resulting calculation to 4 decimal places)

This question is prompted by the example given in the presentation, where the slope/113 part of the calculation is shown as a separate step, to 2 decimal places. If you were doing the calculation on a calculator or in a spreadsheet you would simply do index * slope / 113 and then do the rounding.

This is a subtle difference but could be important for those clubs who want to calculate and produce their own Course Handicap Tables rather than fork out £150 to have Eagle do it for them.
Surely you do the full calculation in one go (i.e. your first method). Otherwise, if you break any calculation into several part, you will always introduce rounding errors along the way, and it would also depend on how many decimal places you decide to round to. (PS I just saw rulefan also answered as I was posting)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That is my understanding, all clubs are to be supplied with the correct Course Handicap Tables by their governing body in electronic format, so you would use that to purchase your board, whoever you purchase from.

Ahhh….we asked the question as to where we get the tables from and the clarity of answer was somewhat lacking, merely directing us in the costly direction of Eagle.

When we said that we'd knock something up in Excel in about 10 minutes, rather than pay someone to do a task a ten year old could manage, no one mentioned that the Course Handicap tables would be issued "officialy".

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely you do the full calculation in one go (i.e. your first method). Otherwise, if you break any calculation into several part, you will always introduce rounding errors along the way, and it would also depend on how many decimal places you decide to round to. (PS I just saw rulefan also answered as I was posting)

Indeed that was my thought....but the way the calculation was shown in the presentation suggested the possibility of doing it in the 2nd, not quite logical manner.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed that was my thought....but the way the calculation was shown in the presentation suggested the possibility of doing it in the 2nd, not quite logical manner.
The draft manual shows it as
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating / 113)

Swango1980

Visit site
You always perform the task inside the brackets first, in mathematics.
That is true (BODMAS). However, that does not imply you do the bit in brackets separately, round it to a value, then do the next bit of the calculation separately. All it does is tell you the order in which you do the calculation. You will eliminate rounding errors if you do the full calculation in one go.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just followed the link for the USGA slope rating page and looked up my club:

Blues 151
Whites 148

:oops:
You'll get that at most courses. It is because Slope does not represent difficulty, it only represents the relative difficulty between scratch and bogey players. Course Rating (like SSS now) still a better indicator on course difficulty, so on the same website you will probably see a difference in CR for both sets of tees?

At my course, whites are much harder than yellows (SSS 69 compared to 67 off yellows), but the Slope rating for yellows is 130 and for whites only 133. So, most players will have the same course handicap regardless of which tees they play off, a few might be lucky enough to get an extra shot off whites depending on the decimal point.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't seen it mentioned, it says Cat 1 players can enter cards daily, is there a limit on this like there currently is?
There won't be any categories in the WHS.
There is no limit on the number of scores that may be returned in a day

Last edited: