World Handicap System (WHS)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
what will happen then when my 20th score off 73(CSS of 73) is replaced by a score or 6 higher?

If a 73 is replaced by a 79, then that 79 forms part of the 8 scores which are averaged, so the handicap goes up 0.75 (6/8), i.e. 0.8. But then next time you go out and shoot a 72, that 79 falls out again and your handicap drops 7/8, i.e. 0.9. So the handicap will swing around a bit more then the old system.

Swango1980

Visit site
OK, but the WHS equivalent of an ESR is not targeted at people who essentially cheat their handicap. The basic statistics handling of the WHS should avoid the old problem where someone has a low handicap they can't play to anymore but their move to a more suitable handicap is slowed by the 0.1 limit on increases per round. WHS reflects recent play much more strongly.
True, but I was only making the point that Reviews are not binned into history.

Swango1980

Visit site
how so? my best score is my 20th and my next best outside the best 8 is 6 over the css, so that score will replace the best, if i'd had another poor score this year my best would not be counted so the average would have been higher.

how do they work that out that its 0.8?
I was just doing the calculation quickly in my head. My assumption was your best score would be wiped out by a score 6 shots higher. As Index is an average of 8, then that broadly is an increase in 6/8, which is 0.75. But, this would be desloped also, so probably around an increase of 0.7ish

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was just doing the calculation quickly in my head. My assumption was your best score would be wiped out by a score 6 shots higher. As Index is an average of 8, then that broadly is an increase in 6/8, which is 0.75. But, this would be desloped also, so probably around an increase of 0.7ish
where does the cap come from? the best score diff is 6 shots so the way i was told to work it out the 6 replaces the 0, thats how i got the 6 shot increase, so can you only got up by X once the initial handicap is workd out??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
where does the cap come from? the best score diff is 6 shots so the way i was told to work it out the 6 replaces the 0, thats how i got the 6 shot increase, so can you only got up by X once the initial handicap is workd out??

The Handicap Index comes form 8 scores averaged, so replacing one of the 8 with a score 1 shot worse adds 1/8 to the Handicap Index, so replacing a 73 with a 79 adds 6 x 1/8 which rounds to 0.8 in new money.

If you are a handicap watcher, then it is worth knowing what your next score to expire is and whether it is one of the best 8. If it is one of the best 8, then once you submit another score, that 8th best will be replaced by the current 9th best or the score you have just submitted, whichever is better.

My next 3 scores to be replaced are crap scores, so I can't do my handicap any harm, but the 4th one is one of the 8, albeit towards the bottom end of the 8, so I need to replace or better it to keep my handicap. Of course, I can do that in the next 3.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Handicap Index comes form 8 scores averaged, so replacing one of the 8 with a score 1 shot worse adds 1/8 to the Handicap Index, so replacing a 73 with a 79 adds 6 x 1/8 which rounds to 0.8 in new money.

If you are a handicap watcher, then it is worth knowing what your next score to expire is and whether it is one of the best 8. If it is one of the best 8, then once you submit another score, that 8th best will be replaced by the current 9th best or the score you have just submitted, whichever is better.

My next 3 scores to be replaced are crap scores, so I can't do my handicap any harm, but the 4th one is one of the 8, albeit towards the bottom end of the 8, so I need to replace or better it to keep my handicap. Of course, I can do that in the next 3.
thanks looks like i won't be getting 11 then...:cry:, is there any cap on how much you can increase?

we have guy who lives in the states, when he comes over for the summer, he always has a vastly diff handicap than when he was over the year before

Swango1980

Visit site
thanks looks like i won't be getting 11 then...:cry:, is there any cap on how much you can increase?

we have guy who lives in the states, when he comes over for the summer, he always has a vastly diff handicap than when he was over the year before
Maximum of 5 higher than lowest Index in last year. But, once it increases above 3.0, any other increase is halved, until it is hard capped at 5

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
With WHS they will know early in the following morning. Under CONGU they will know some time after the comp has been closed. Which might be after the weekend.

Absolutely, but I mean that people are used to being able to work out their adjustment after holing out... albeit making assumptions about CSS. While you'll still be able to do this, it will be slightly harder to work out than with the current system.

Chinny

Visit site
First Post on Forum... Here Goes... Generally looking forward to WHS and enjoying most of the comments on the forum but let my throw this spanner into the works.
Imagine Course Handicap is 12 so in a singles Comp players Playing Handicap would be 11 (12 x 95% = 11.4 rounded to 11)
In a Stableford Comp player would lose their shot on Stroke Index 12 (Let’s say the hole is a par 4)
In the Comp the player would score 1point for a bogey and zero points for a double bogey.
However, for handicap purposes only the player still retains their full 12 shots whilst calculating the Score Differential for this round of golf so in this case its very important to hole out on stroke index 12 if you can achieve at least a double bogey for zero points ( if you can’t get at least a 6 then pick up and move on)
In summary if you Hole out on stroke index 12 for a six you will get zero points in Comp but you will get a net bogey for handicap purposes rather than a net double bogey for not completing the hole.
If you tap in that 6 inch putt for a 6 even though you can’t score it will be recorded as a six
If you pick up that 6 inch putt your score for handicap purposes will be recorded as a net double bogie ie SEVEN
Sorry for going on but needed explaining.
Stay Safe

Swango1980

Visit site
First Post on Forum... Here Goes... Generally looking forward to WHS and enjoying most of the comments on the forum but let my throw this spanner into the works.
Imagine Course Handicap is 12 so in a singles Comp players Playing Handicap would be 11 (12 x 95% = 11.4 rounded to 11)
In a Stableford Comp player would lose their shot on Stroke Index 12 (Let’s say the hole is a par 4)
In the Comp the player would score 1point for a bogey and zero points for a double bogey.
However, for handicap purposes only the player still retains their full 12 shots whilst calculating the Score Differential for this round of golf so in this case its very important to hole out on stroke index 12 if you can achieve at least a double bogey for zero points ( if you can’t get at least a 6 then pick up and move on)
In summary if you Hole out on stroke index 12 for a six you will get zero points in Comp but you will get a net bogey for handicap purposes rather than a net double bogey for not completing the hole.
If you tap in that 6 inch putt for a 6 even though you can’t score it will be recorded as a six
If you pick up that 6 inch putt your score for handicap purposes will be recorded as a net double bogie ie SEVEN
Stay Safe
All very true. And, as much as members need to be very aware of this, I did not include that in my bullet point list to all members to give them the run down of it. It was complicated enough giving them the basics without frying their brains, so adding in those details just seemed a step too far at this stage :(

IanMcC

Visit site
Stay Safe
Good first post, as stated earlier. Our members are used to this already, somewhat. We run midweek stablefords, where men and women can both enter. Because of the differences between Par and SSS on the ladies and gents courses, the men get 2 shots added to their handicap to give them a Competition Handicap of 2 greater than their normal Handicap. Interestingly, in a strokeplay event, because par is not an issue, it is the Ladies who receive shots over the men. Moral of the story, hole out unless you are greater than nett double bogey on any hole, or at least know where you are with the Competition Handicap, soon to become Playing Handicap.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Guess there may be a risk that a number of members take the position I can't be doing remembering all this, I'll just putt out everything....and a stableford becomes a medal.
Be interesting to see how it pans out.

But then, surely, using the above example you just check course handicap, and putt out to there. SI 13+ don't bother. So a sort of yes and no!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely, but I mean that people are used to being able to work out their adjustment after holing out... albeit making assumptions about CSS. While you'll still be able to do this, it will be slightly harder to work out than with the current system.

If you are the sort of person who keeps a note of their last 20, what falls off and what it is replaced by and your best 8 you would know if the score you just had is likely to affect the calculation.

If you know it does - quick check to see which score it replaced (if appropriate) work out the difference between the two divide by 8 and that is the HI change. Slightly more than the current system but not arduous.

Lets face it you do not really need to know the information until next time you play (another game on the day is played with the same HI).