World Handicap System (WHS)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are the sort of person who keeps a note of their last 20, what falls off and what it is replaced by and your best 8 you would know if the score you just had is likely to affect the calculation.

From what I hear listening to podcasts and picking up on the golf culture in the US, a lot of people do this. They know their 20th score that's dropping off (if it's a counter or not) they know the highest score that's counting towards their average.

Obviously golf culture is different there as there is much less in the way of club and competition golf. So most weekly golfers are simply playing against themselves every week to try and get their handicap down.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are the sort of person who keeps a note of their last 20, what falls off and what it is replaced by and your best 8 you would know if the score you just had is likely to affect the calculation.

If you know it does - quick check to see which score it replaced (if appropriate) work out the difference between the two divide by 8 and that is the HI change. Slightly more than the current system but not arduous.

Lets face it you do not really need to know the information until next time you play (another game on the day is played with the same HI).
That was me in NZ, always knew exactly where I was re handicap, although the slight difference was it only changed every 2 weeks

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
First Post on Forum... Here Goes... Generally looking forward to WHS and enjoying most of the comments on the forum but let my throw this spanner into the works.
Imagine Course Handicap is 12 so in a singles Comp players Playing Handicap would be 11 (12 x 95% = 11.4 rounded to 11)
In a Stableford Comp player would lose their shot on Stroke Index 12 (Let’s say the hole is a par 4)
In the Comp the player would score 1point for a bogey and zero points for a double bogey.
However, for handicap purposes only the player still retains their full 12 shots whilst calculating the Score Differential for this round of golf so in this case its very important to hole out on stroke index 12 if you can achieve at least a double bogey for zero points ( if you can’t get at least a 6 then pick up and move on)
In summary if you Hole out on stroke index 12 for a six you will get zero points in Comp but you will get a net bogey for handicap purposes rather than a net double bogey for not completing the hole.
If you tap in that 6 inch putt for a 6 even though you can’t score it will be recorded as a six
If you pick up that 6 inch putt your score for handicap purposes will be recorded as a net double bogie ie SEVEN
Sorry for going on but needed explaining.
Stay Safe

Excellent post.

Further proof If needed) that this was devised by folk who don't really like playing golf but love "lording" it over others with the knowledge of the rules. Why have a process where a player has to take something like that into consideration. Most players won't realise it, then when they do, they'll stop picking up "in case" they mess something up.

Tommy10

Visit site
Here are my 8 best from 22 this season off the whites, can someone help me work out what my HI should be?

Course rating is 71.9 and slope is 132. I used an online calculator and got it to work out as HI of 19.2 with course handicap of 24. Any help appreciated.

CSS was 72 on the days I scored all of above. Current handicap is 21.9

Swango1980

Visit site
Here are my 8 best from 22 this season off the whites, can someone help me work out what my HI should be?

Course rating is 71.9 and slope is 132. I used an online calculator and got it to work out as HI of 19.2 with course handicap of 24. Any help appreciated.

Index looks correct. However, Course Handicap = 19.2 x 132/113 = 22

IanMcC

Visit site

I make your index to be 26.2. But that is dependant on a couple of factors. You didnt say if you scored over a nett double bogey on any of the days. That would bring the score down slightly. Also, the calculation was using Course Rating only. I believe the software people are trying to incorporate CSS also. Phew!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As others have posted above, assuming you have corrected any 'disaster' holes to Nett double bogey and those 8 scores are in your last 20 (you put "8 from 22").

Swango1980

Visit site
I make your index to be 26.2. But that is dependant on a couple of factors. You didnt say if you scored over a nett double bogey on any of the days. That would bring the score down slightly. Also, the calculation was using Course Rating only. I believe the software people are trying to incorporate CSS also. Phew!
26.2 is extremely generous!?

Correct about nett double bogey adjustment, had that applied, Index could be a bit lower. He said CSS was 72 on all his rounds (I assume SSS=72 given the CR), so I wouldn't expect any additional adjustments once they finally factor in CSS

Swango1980

Visit site
Question: Are any handicap committees conducting Annual Reviews of CONGU Handicaps now?

The reason I ask is that as away member has just forwarded me a letter, showing his Home Club have increased his handicap following their annual review on 21st October 2020. I'm wondering what the benefit of this is, given we are switching to WHS in less than 2 weeks. Unless they are anticipating WHS will never happen.

Tommy10

Visit site
As others have posted above, assuming you have corrected any 'disaster' holes to Nett double bogey and those 8 scores are in your last 20 (you put "8 from 22").

22 is the number of comp rounds I've played off the whites this season buy like you say it'll be the last 20.

Not sure how it could be 26.2 but I'll find on 2nd November like everyone else (if the system hasn't crashed that morning).

There's probably a few treble bogeys scattered through those 8 rounds but less than 5 I think so won't make too much difference.

Swango1980

Visit site
22 is the number of comp rounds I've played off the whites this season buy like you say it'll be the last 20.

Not sure how it could be 26.2 but I'll find on 2nd November like everyone else (if the system hasn't crashed that morning).

There's probably a few treble bogeys scattered through those 8 rounds but less than 5 I think so won't make too much difference.
Don't worry, it is definitely not 26.2. I think there was a mishap in the calculator

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Now we have our indicative index numbers, does this give us more scope to say that course A is harder than course B?
For example my 7.2 gives me 8 shots on my home course but would only give me 7 on my previous one.
Can I now say with some degree of certainty that my current course is harder than my previous?