World Handicap System (WHS)

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m assuming that under WHS we have no need for annual reviews or exceptional increases/decreases. We just need everyone to encourage cards being submit more regularly?

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m assuming that under WHS we have no need for annual reviews or exceptional increases/decreases. We just need everyone to encourage cards being submit more regularly?
Annual Reviews will still be very much of the process. After all, some players may still play a lot of match play golf, and rarely submit an acceptable score.

There will still be Exceptional Decreases as well, from memory if a player shoots 7-10 under their Handicap Index, they get an extra -1.0, if they shoot even better than that, they get 2.0 extra cut

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Annual Reviews will still be very much of the process. After all, some players may still play a lot of match play golf, and rarely submit an acceptable score.

There will still be Exceptional Decreases as well, from memory if a player shoots 7-10 under their Handicap Index, they get an extra -1.0, if they shoot even better than that, they get 2.0 extra cut

This is a more dynamic faster responding handicap system. I don't think the extra cuts are therefore necessary or fit well with that.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is a more dynamic faster responding handicap system. I don't think the extra cuts are therefore necessary or fit well with that.
The review may not need to be as rigorous, but it will still need to deal with culprits who avoid posting acceptable rounds, and do well in other formats.

Also, if a player posts 15-20 scores in 2 or 3 months, resulting in their Index going up 5 shots (and course handicap 6 or so shots), a review can result in a safety net for any areas of concern like that

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Staying with the annual review theme, would it be advisable to do this years before or after the switchover?

If this years review is done prior to the switchover will it get taken into account or will the system just use submitted scores?

If its done after how would the adjustment be made, are we going down the line of -1 off each score or whatever?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
we already have this though in comps, its called the CSS and Visitor CSS. i play plenty of opens and have never felt hard done by or i should get extra shots because the CSS takes care of that. also if im visiting another course for a bounce game i go by the SSS to see if i play to handicap... simples. as for club matches the same, its a challenge to beat someone else on their home course.

on the plus side i'm looking forward to playing off 11 by the 2nd week of April, it will be a shock to my oppo at Dornoch next match:ROFLMAO:

Surely someone has told you by now that you are MASSIVELY wrong on this?

Swango1980

Visit site
Guys,

I've looked but can't find the posts, but in one of many WHS threads, there was chat recently that Cat 1s are currently allowed to submit Supplementary scores outside of the normal restrictions (which previously only allowed Supps for the purpose of retaining "C" status). This is relevant to me as I have less than 20 scores in.

Having raised this with my GM, and in turn the County Sec and his colleagues, nobody is aware of any temporary change, so could anyone who thinks there's a rule currently in place please advise on the specifics??

Many thanks in advance ?.
Under WHS, Category 1 means nothing, there are no categories. So, that restriction in regards to supplementary scores (or acceptable scores from social golf) will not apply.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys,

I've looked but can't find the posts, but in one of many WHS threads, there was chat recently that Cat 1s are currently allowed to submit Supplementary scores outside of the normal restrictions (which previously only allowed Supps for the purpose of retaining "C" status). This is relevant to me as I have less than 20 scores in.

Having raised this with my GM, and in turn the County Sec and his colleagues, nobody is aware of any temporary change, so could anyone who thinks there's a rule currently in place please advise on the specifics??

Accepting the comment above about Cat 1 going under WHS, I assume you mean before November. If so at our club we are allowing Cat 1 golfers to submit supplementaries in the same way as the rest of us, until WHS comes in. One of my playing partners is in the same position as you, which is why I know this (as it doesn't affect me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:),

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guys,

From other posts it would be too late now anyway. CONGU scores are already being converted to WHS scores and all scores during next 12 days will be held over.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your index will increase by 0.8
how so? my best score is my 20th and my next best outside the best 8 is 6 over the css, so that score will replace the best, if i'd had another poor score this year my best would not be counted so the average would have been higher.

how do they work that out that its 0.8?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The review may not need to be as rigorous, but it will still need to deal with culprits who avoid posting acceptable rounds, and do well in other formats.

Also, if a player posts 15-20 scores in 2 or 3 months, resulting in their Index going up 5 shots (and course handicap 6 or so shots), a review can result in a safety net for any areas of concern like that

OK, but the WHS equivalent of an ESR is not targeted at people who essentially cheat their handicap. The basic statistics handling of the WHS should avoid the old problem where someone has a low handicap they can't play to anymore but their move to a more suitable handicap is slowed by the 0.1 limit on increases per round. WHS reflects recent play much more strongly.