World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
8.4 now
8.4 if playing a medal off WHS
What was the point in that lol

The point being that one bad round now may increase your CONGU UHS handicap to 8.5 one bad round under the WHS and it could go over 9 similarly one good round UHS may produce a fairly minor alteration and WHS a much larger one.

PS when you say WHS 8.4 is that the Handicap Index?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Further to previous posts, somewhere, I have it in writing from WHS support at England Golf, there is no function for Cat 1s to put in supplementaries outside the normal rules.

Looking at his under another thread, without a thorough read of the UHS to understand it fully there are different rules for CAT1 gofers in Scotland. I cannot remember who posted the original comment about a CAT 1 playing posting SSs but maybe they are in Scotland.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s happening in regards to playing at a different course say just a knock at new place?
The original stance on WHS was “every round counts” several years a go and it’s a something I firmly believe in. Can I submit that card?
Apologies if this has been answered as I’ve had a year off from golf.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s happening in regards to playing at a different course say just a knock at new place?
The original stance on WHS was “every round counts” several years a go and it’s a something I firmly believe in. Can I submit that card?
Apologies if this has been answered as I’ve had a year off from golf.

You can if you pre register at the course but it’s not compulsory however I think as things move on more people will start doing this just to see how they play against different courses.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I read a lot of informative posts from "those in the know" - you know who you are, thanks. I bought into the "slope isn't an absolute measure of difficulty" and have passed this on to others. In the UK, as we are not doing the "course rating minus par" thing, people may point to "but I only key in slope".

Below are a couple of courses near me:

A) Par 72 CR 71 Slope 133

B) Par 72 CR 73.7 Slope 127

Someone with a HI of 11 would be granted:
13 shots at course A
12 shots at course B

If I'm correct so far, I think this feeds the "slope is difficultly" conversation as this player 'gains more shots".

But, am I correct is saying to "match the course" the player would need to shoot
84 at course A
86 at course B

Am I on the right track? ??

NB, the above are Course Handicaps. Applying the Playing Handicap adjustment for format would reduce accordingly. So using 95%
12 shots at course A
11 shots at course B

to "match the course" the player would need to shoot
83 at course A
85 at course B

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read a lot of informative posts from "those in the know" - you know who you are, thanks. I bought into the "slope isn't an absolute measure of difficulty" and have passed this on to others. In the UK, as we are not doing the "course rating minus par" thing, people may point to "but I only key in slope".

Below are a couple of courses near me:

A) Par 72 CR 71 Slope 133

B) Par 72 CR 73.7 Slope 127

Someone with a HI of 11 would be granted:
13 shots at course A
12 shots at course B

If I'm correct so far, I think this feeds the "slope is difficultly" conversation as this player 'gains more shots".

But, am I correct is saying to "match the course" the player would need to shoot
84 at course A
86 at course B

Am I on the right track? ??
Yes(y)

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have read so many posts - forgive me if this has been mentioned. All of the rounds at my home course for me and my mates seem to have been loaded off the yellow tees/. Is that common? Assuming it will be fixed like CSS impact, but seems strange given the source data had the relevant tees flagged...

Swango1980

Visit site
I have read so many posts - forgive me if this has been mentioned. All of the rounds at my home course for me and my mates seem to have been loaded off the yellow tees/. Is that common? Assuming it will be fixed like CSS impact, but seems strange given the source data had the relevant tees flagged...
Doesn't sound normal. The correct tees should have been set already.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This seems to have happened at a number of clubs. Our ladies are showing as playing all rounds on their winter course. EG are dealing with it but I worry they can only do it if they have been advised by the club.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Something similar at our club. We have 2 courses but all results are shown as being played on just one course although it's clear from the system at our end that some were played on the other course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just been looking at my numbers..
It seems I've got a supplementary card still to be used in the calculation
It was a good one - nett 4 under - and got me cut so that's going to drop my number when the last data dump happens.
But it also triggered an ESR..
Will the new system take that into account as well..?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just been looking at my numbers..
It seems I've got a supplementary card still to be used in the calculation
It was a good one - nett 4 under - and got me cut so that's going to drop my number when the last data dump happens.
But it also triggered an ESR..
Will the new system take that into account as well..?

Cut him and cut him hard ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stroke Indexes are and continue to be decided by your club, and there is no need for them to change as a result of the WHS
But the WHS does make a new recommendation re the allocation in Appendix E.
It would seem to be a compromise between the 'difficulty' and 'matchplay' concepts.

IanMcC

Visit site
But the WHS does make a new recommendation re the allocation in Appendix E.
It would seem to be a compromise between the 'difficulty' and 'matchplay' concepts.
That is very interesting, rulefan. Im sure there used to be a recommendation that the first and 10th holes were no harder than stroke 8, and preferably around stroke 12.
I dont see that in Appendix E anywhere. Is this still a recommendation? Our first hole at Rhuddlan is quite hard, being the 3rd hardest hole in the historical statistics. It is currently SI 12, but under Appendix E it comes out as SI 4.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A new question, apologies if this has already been answered. We have a player who has just returned from working in Dubai, and has been a member here for the last five years, the last two being as an Country member. The majority of his last 20 scores, all this year, have been on courses in Dubai under competition conditions. He has forwarded all the details including slopes, CR etc for each round, and his handicap index of 1.1. Since returning he has played a few rounds at our Club. He is no longer a member of a club in Dubai.

Do the foreign scores have to be submitted to the people implementing the new system here for his handicap index to be created before 2nd November?