Winter Golf and Handicap

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't play in any stroke play competitions in winter so I wouldn't ever put in a card but our course isn't measured in winter anyway.
I love going out and having a knock but can't take the score seriously when you're either on a mat or playing hit and splash.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not golf in the winter on a parkland course - it’s cleaning.
Clean the ball, hit the ball, clean your club, clean the ball, hit the ball, clean your club, clean the ball rinse and repeat on every shot then at the end clean your shoes, trolley etc
Bold of you to assume everyone cleans their clubs, shoes and trolley. 👀

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clean the ball, hit the ball, clean your club, clean the ball, hit the ball, clean your club, clean the ball rinse and repeat on every shot then at the end clean your shoes, trolley etc
Yes just spent the afternoon doing just that.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
None of that applies to my mate, he's not lazy, but he won't do anything that he deems not necessary and none of that is necessary. He may clean a large dollop of mud off his ball but it's a cursory wipe not an actual clean. Shoes, clubs, trolley, all go into the back of his car and won't be taken out until the next round.

It is actually quite amusing to watch him occasionally try to scrape the dry mud out of the groves of a wedge because he has a lob shot requiring spin.

D-S

Visit site
None of that applies to my mate, he's not lazy, but he won't do anything that he deems not necessary and none of that is necessary. He may clean a large dollop of mud off his ball but it's a cursory wipe not an actual clean. Shoes, clubs, trolley, all go into the back of his car and won't be taken out until the next round.

It is actually quite amusing to watch him occasionally try to scrape the dry mud out of the groves of a wedge because he has a lob shot requiring spin.
If he puts cards in using encrusted clubs and muddy golf balls does this constitute handicap manipulation?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Back in the U.K., in the northeast of England, I played comps all year. Why? Because I loved playing golf, especially with mates. The handicap takes care of itself. It might go up and it might go down but that’s way down the list after playing golf with friends. And pretty much everyone else’s handicap does the same. There’s no loss of competitiveness. So why not just play?

If it’s the grotty weather, fine, don’t play. But not playing to protect a handicap… that’s just bizarre.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back in the U.K., in the northeast of England, I played comps all year. Why? Because I loved playing golf, especially with mates. The handicap takes care of itself. It might go up and it might go down but that’s way down the list after playing golf with friends. And pretty much everyone else’s handicap does the same. There’s no loss of competitiveness. So why not just play?

If it’s the grotty weather, fine, don’t play. But not playing to protect a handicap… that’s just bizarre.
Is that based on playing at Cleveland though? By crikey it gets colder but you would still have run on the ball there, greens will still be excellent. I've been a member at a links course before and there is minimal difference between the seasons there in terms of playing. Parkland is a whole different ball game. It's all carry, no run, greens are often bobbly. Trashes the card for many golfers. Those golfers it doesn't impact, the good ones / bigger hitters, will certainly be mighty hacked off when the rest of us start the new season much higher, but score better as the ball starts to roll again.

My current course runs no qualifying comps until April now. If it did, I would still play, just not enter. It's a lottery on parkland in winter and scores should be treated accordingly.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is that based on playing at Cleveland though? By crikey it gets colder but you would still have run on the ball there, greens will still be excellent. I've been a member at a links course before and there is minimal difference between the seasons there in terms of playing. Parkland is a whole different ball game. It's all carry, no run, greens are often bobbly. Trashes the card for many golfers. Those golfers it doesn't impact, the good ones / bigger hitters, will certainly be mighty hacked off when the rest of us start the new season much higher, but score better as the ball starts to roll again.

My current course runs no qualifying comps until April now. If it did, I would still play, just not enter. It's a lottery on parkland in winter and scores should be treated accordingly.
I'm still not sure those really boggy type conditions have as big of an impact on handicaps as you think. They may contribute to your really bad scores, and certainly help a player make their excuses for their bad day (in over 50% of their rounds). But I also think that on their good days in the winter, they can score pretty much just as well as the good days in the summer. That is only my own perception, from playing in one of the boggiest courses in the county since 2005 to 2021, and playing at a course now that doesn't drain at all well in winter, thus getting wet and no roll.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm still not sure those really boggy type conditions have as big of an impact on handicaps as you think. They may contribute to your really bad scores, and certainly help a player make their excuses for their bad day (in over 50% of their rounds). But I also think that on their good days in the winter, they can score pretty much just as well as the good days in the summer. That is only my own perception, from playing in one of the boggiest courses in the county since 2005 to 2021, and playing at a course now that doesn't drain at all well in winter, thus getting wet and no roll.
Every good score I've got this year is during the good weather, dry weather when the ball was running. Every high score is when the course is wet, no question. I can look back and tell you how wet Northumberland was this past year by looking at the EG app and seeing my competition rounds 😄

Swango1980

Visit site
Every good score I've got this year is during the good weather, dry weather when the ball was running. Every high score is when the course is wet, no question. I can look back and tell you how wet Northumberland was this past year by looking at the EG app and seeing my competition rounds 😄
I guess it is difficult to judge anything from individual experiences. Last week we had 3 holes closed, as the course was so wet, and I finished with 39 points :)