Winter Golf and Handicap

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've no idea.
But for as long as I can remember Captains Day & Senior Captains Day (2x separate comps on different days) have always been non qualifiers + a couple of other comps that I can't remember, but all are held between April & Oct.
These guys showing a fine example then!!!

wjemather

Visit site
I've no idea.
But for as long as I can remember Captains Day & Senior Captains Day (2x separate comps on different days) have always been non qualifiers + a couple of other comps that I can't remember, but all are held between April & Oct.
Do you know what formats they were played in and whether there were any additional 'rules' or side-games? Captain's days in particular, even if individual strokeplay, often incorporate something extra (usually for charity) that would make scores unacceptable for handicapping.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At captain's day at my previous club the captain could assemble the course from the different tees. One year the guy mixed white and blue (back, back tees). Apart from making him very unpopular it would also make it a non q, as per @wjemather post above.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Do you know what formats they were played in and whether there were any additional 'rules' or side-games? Captain's days in particular, even if individual strokeplay, often incorporate something extra (usually for charity) that would make scores unacceptable for handicapping.
Format is always a straight Stableford
It's always been that way as long as I can remember, nobody has ever questioned it or complained as far as I know.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ours is the same captains day non qualifying comp off the yellows. It always has been.
Which is good in that it means absolutely everybody in the field can have a full-on go to win it without worrying about getting cut. Everyone can enjoy the day and play, uninhibted, as it were.

Swango1980

Visit site
How did he manage that?
He must have been scoring exceedingly well previously
I think you've let the light hearted point go over your head.

I was simply saying I'm sure players will be "delighted" if ANY player scores a HIGH score and they don't get a cut because it's not acceptable for handicap, for no apparent reason

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Format is always a straight Stableford
It's always been that way as long as I can remember, nobody has ever questioned it or complained as far as I know.
Then your club/committee need reminding that such scores must be submitted for handicapping.
Surely it's a basic responsibility as Club Captain to ensure that the Match & H/cap Sec are fulfilling their roles correctly? Declaring Captain's Day a non-qualifier is a shocker & highly irresponsible! However some folk will say that it's the Captain's choice as though they are some God or other.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely it's a basic responsibility as Club Captain to ensure that the Match & H/cap Sec are fulfilling their roles correctly? Declaring Captain's Day a non-qualifier is a shocker & highly irresponsible! However some folk will say that it's the Captain's choice as though they are some God or other.

A shocker and highly irresponsible?

Give it a rest, it’s supposed to be a bit of fun. Far too many people taking things way too seriously.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Give it a rest, it’s supposed to be a bit of fun. Far too many people taking things way too seriously.
Agreed... our Club golf should be a bundle of fun but let's not 'Micky Mouse' it........ though I think you are just trying it on.... behave!! :D :D

Swango1980

Visit site

I have a feeling that, for some in here their clubs allegedly do everything perfectly and by the book. If any other club don't, even if it is a minor indiscretion, then it is incompetence and the Club should probably even be reported to County, with the threat of all members having handicaps suspended :)

Personally, I'd like to see all comps acceptable for handicap, that are on a measured course and an acceptable format. But, I also believe that Clubs will do what is best for their members. If they are happy playing Captain's Day as a "non-qualifier", then so be it. If they aren't, then I'm sure they can let the Committee know. Even to ask, out of curiosity, as to why it is set up that way.