Winter Golf and Handicap

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a feeling that, for some in here their clubs allegedly do everything perfectly and by the book. If any other club don't, even if it is a minor indiscretion, then it is incompetence and the Club should probably even be reported to County, with the threat of all members having handicaps suspended :)

Personally, I'd like to see all comps acceptable for handicap, that are on a measured course and an acceptable format. But, I also believe that Clubs will do what is best for their members. If they are happy playing Captain's Day as a "non-qualifier", then so be it. If they aren't, then I'm sure they can let the Committee know. Even to ask, out of curiosity, as to why it is set up that way.
Only two zealots. The rest of us just take it as it comes.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If every one took a laissez-faire approach why bother with a handicap system or even handicaps at all?
Well without getting too contentious I think that's the way we are going. If we continue along the path we are going - and I think we will - handicaps will be largely notional and not the precise value they have been previously. They will be impossible to closely manage and thus will be less trusted than previously.

Whether this is a bad thing I'm not sure - but it will be very different from where we have been.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well without getting too contentious I think that's the way we are going. If we continue along the path we are going - and I think we will - handicaps will be largely notional and not the precise value they have been previously. They will be impossible to closely manage and thus will be less trusted than previously.

Whether this is a bad thing I'm not sure - but it will be very different from where we have been.
Yes and that’s exactly what it’s like in the USA.

Most players I have met are not club members as it’s to expensive.

Almost all answer “what’s your handicap “ with “ About 12 “ then rifle one 280 yds down the middle.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

When were handicaps ever precise? The previous system was no different to the current one, in that it relied on the integrity of players and those administering the system.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When were handicaps ever precise? The previous system was no different to the current one, in that it relied on the integrity of players and those administering the system.
Pre whs, apps and whatever, the vast majority of handicap cards were within the framework of a competition. So, hence some level of scrutiny was in place.

Now, should you decide to, you and your mates can key whatever you like. You don't even need to have played, just be near enough to a course. 😉

Some handicap committees will be on to this, plenty won't. I doubt if any scrutiny of the "non club" online handicaps offered by the home unions happens.

Old system wasn't fool proof, but the new system has made it easier to cheat.

Hence some clubs are not accepting non club members, or folk with too many GP cards in their Opens.

Mind you, the majority of golfers just get on with their game, without a worry for the endless chattering on here 😁

Swango1980

Visit site
See what people mean about difficulty in shooting decent scores in winter.

I shot 40 points today, and lost 5&4. Chap I played with only managed 49 points, leaving his par putt on last a few inches short for his 50 points.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pre whs, apps and whatever, the vast majority of handicap cards were within the framework of a competition.
Not really. In the UK maybe. But the rest of the world was getting along fine with the vast majority of handicap cards outside the framework of a competition.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not really. In the UK maybe. But the rest of the world was getting along fine with the vast majority of handicap cards outside the framework of a competition.
Never played abroad, but I did hear countless stories of both vanity handicappers and sandbaggers in the US. Certainly, their system was suggested to have much less integrity than ours.

Logically, it does seem that could well have been true, as many scores were bound to have much less scrutiny upon them. But whether that is still considered as working fine, maybe that is just subjective.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pre whs, apps and whatever, the vast majority of handicap cards were within the framework of a competition. So, hence some level of scrutiny was in place.

Now, should you decide to, you and your mates can key whatever you like. You don't even need to have played, just be near enough to a course. 😉

Some handicap committees will be on to this, plenty won't. I doubt if any scrutiny of the "non club" online handicaps offered by the home unions happens.

Old system wasn't fool proof, but the new system has made it easier to cheat.

Hence some clubs are not accepting non club members, or folk with too many GP cards in their Opens.

Mind you, the majority of golfers just get on with their game, without a worry for the endless chattering on here 😁
People might cheat. But why are we so worried about what people might do ? Mates in a group could always have decided they were going to call anything withing 6' a gimme. But they didnt. Just because people could not put in totally fictional cards, why are we leaping to the position that because they can, they will.
Imaging an alternative history of golf, where, like all other sports, an independent referee/umpire was needed to follow every match and validate the scores. And now we were moving to players themselves attesting the scores of others with no outside supervision. It seems to me you would be arguing that we cannot move to not having a ref with every match - people might cheat !

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Never played abroad, but I did hear countless stories of both vanity handicappers and sandbaggers in the US. Certainly, their system was suggested to have much less integrity than ours.

Logically, it does seem that could well have been true, as many scores were bound to have much less scrutiny upon them. But whether that is still considered as working fine, maybe that is just subjective.
By whom ? By us probably. Because we feel our system is stricter, that one that is less strict cannot be working ? Is that just our own inference to justify our own golfing culture and UHS as was.

The USGA is a very serious organisation, but I dont think I have ever across them concerned that their system lack integrity. In the whole WHS shakeup, one would think if there were a serious issue on that side of the pond, or other jurisdictions operating what effectively became WHS, that it would have been a problem to solve in such a big revamp - if - it really were a problem.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Some peeps will argue till their blue in the face defending the indefensible.
The majority however know the score regarding WHS the H/C allowance hike pre-WHS.

It's just a shame that in this day & age whenever anything is changed for the worse, instead of doing the sensible thing & trialling it for a period & then maybe realising it wasn't such a great idea at all, they double down on the initial error & proceed to make it even worse.
We're heading the same way as the states, where handicaps are as believable as the tooth fairy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shot 83 today which is the same as I've been shooting for the last few months. I can point to a couple of fatted pitch shots that wouldn't have happened in summer, but if it wasn't that costing me shots it would be something else anyway I guess.

My club has launched a winter eclectic competition which I kind of got cajoled into entering. I presume this is their idea to keep people playing rounds and entering cards. So now I've entered that I might as well put some cards in after all. It's a max of 3 per month over November, December and January I think.