Will you be offering a home to a Ukrainian refugee?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60735121

So the government has launched its "Homes for Ukraine" scheme and almost 90,000 people signed up to it on the first day.

I just wondered if anyone here intends to do it? If so, I'd love to hear about people's experiences of it, both now and once the refugees arrive.

I love the idea of it and think it's an incredibly generous thing for anyone to do. But I can also understand people not wanting to invite a complete stranger into their home!

I have three young kids and no spare room, so I don't feel able to do it myself. I suppose it's more targeted towards retired people/couples whose family have flown the nest and have rooms to spare.

So will you be helping out?

(PS. I know there's a thread about Russia/Ukraine, but it didn't seem to be the place to discuss this. And I can't see a thread already on the subject. Apologies if I'm wrong though)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I were retired. then possibly. As I'm not and neither is the wife then no.
I'm interested to know where the funding for this is coming from....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60735121

So the government has launched its "Homes for Ukraine" scheme and almost 90,000 people signed up to it on the first day.

I just wondered if anyone here intends to do it? If so, I'd love to hear about people's experiences of it, both now and once the refugees arrive.

I love the idea of it and think it's an incredibly generous thing for anyone to do. But I can also understand people not wanting to invite a complete stranger into their home!

I have three young kids and no spare room, so I don't feel able to do it myself. I suppose it's more targeted towards retired people/couples whose family have flown the nest and have rooms to spare.

So will you be helping out?

(PS. I know there's a thread about Russia/Ukraine, but it didn't seem to be the place to discuss this. And I can't see a thread already on the subject. Apologies if I'm wrong though)

My parents announced their going to apply to host a family ( a nan, daughter and her son)

A friend of my mum, her daughter works in the Ukraine and the daughter is her work colleague, so they can name them (as per the rules)

If they didnt have the son then the friend of my mum would host them , however they live on a farm with no way for the 10 year old to get to school

My parents live in a 5 bed house. Myself and my sister have long since flown the nest so they can provide either a room each or share 2 rooms above the garage for more privacy , the house is walkable to many schools if not it's served by about 5 different bus routes.

Where as we couldnt really offer anything for a family, unless ofc they have a qualified nanny who wants to stay here lol

But respect to anyone who opens their home

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope. We do have a spare room but it's just been the two of us (plus the two dogs) for so long that I can't relax on the rare occasions family stay over. Plus it is very likely that Barley would be so stressed he'd bite one of them!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, we dont have the room and the whole place is about to become a building site

One of our neighbours has a small annexe thats currently empty so they have applied

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a flat that is empty at the moment so I will be looking into this, I don’t know any Ukrainians so will have to look into the details.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a flat that is empty at the moment so I will be looking into this, I don’t know any Ukrainians so will have to look into the details.

I'm not sure I understand the rational behind you have to be able to name them. I'm sure people will know why but surely every single place that can be offered is a good thing?

Good luck I hope they let you

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the rational behind you have to be able to name them. I'm sure people will know why but surely every single place that can be offered is a good thing?

Good luck I hope they let you

Yes I was surprised that you had to name someone that must reduce the numbers a great deal

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have seen a fair few articles about why these people are now so keen to open their house to Ukrainian refugees but not to our homeless or migrants fleeing other conflict? There have been words such as Racist and Trendy being banded about which is a bit unfair.
Also, do the people realise how much work there will be involved with settling the people in, sorting schools, benefits, etc? You can’t just show them their room, give them a key and let them get on with it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen a fair few articles about why these people are now so keen to open their house to Ukrainian refugees but not to our homeless or migrants fleeing other conflict? There have been words such as Racist and Trendy being banded about which is a bit unfair.
Also, do the people realise how much work there will be involved with settling the people in, sorting schools, benefits, etc? You can’t just show them their room, give them a key and let them get on with it.

That's the thing it suits the MSM , and those fleeing conflict before didn't fit the correct agenda

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a heartbeat. Just the missus and me, we've got a couple of spare bedrooms and would willingly give these up to help someone out. And I don't want the money, I'd do it for free.
give it to them might help them find employment or pay for clothes etc

They will have lost the lot.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, already overcrowded with sons girlfriend about to move in when she's had the baby in a few weeks time. I have however volunteered, along with a good few other drivers, to take a coach loaded with aid to Poland and bring back refugees. Not sure if it will happen but the comapny are looking at the ins and outs

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No,I wouldn’t feel comfortable having strangers living with my family.

This. I've had a tough two years as has HID and so when I come home I want to shut the door and have my own haven of tranquility and not have the worry while I'm at work about what's going on at home. It may sound selfish but thats just my gut feelings

D

Deleted member 23270

I think it's an extremely noble and generous gesture but I'm not sure how it will pan out in real life.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a heartbeat. Just the missus and me, we've got a couple of spare bedrooms and would willingly give these up to help someone out. And I don't want the money, I'd do it for free.
We are thinking similar - but we need to know what advice and support we'd get beyond the £350/month; and likewise for any Ukrainians we might host. Further, what happens if in a few months - or even weeks - we realise that we'd made a mistake hosting or our circumstances change such that it is no long what we can, or wish to, do.

In addition, my church would offer to be a 'community hub' for Ukrainians hosted in our town. We have buildings and facilities that are in our town centre and close to all shops and rail and bus links into London and the south coast. But we have no idea how we'd make it all work or how we'd find out what Ukrainian refugees were being hosted in our town and locality. Hopefully all of this will be laid out for us in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

We are thinking similar - but we need to know what advice and support we'd get beyond the £350/month; and likewise for any Ukrainians we might host. Further, what happens if in a few months - or even weeks - we realise that we'd made a mistake hosting or our circumstances change such that it is no long what we can, or wish to, do.

In addition, my church would offer to be a 'community hub' for Ukrainians hosted in our town. We have buildings and facilities that are in our town centre and close to all shops and rail and bus links into London and the south coast. But we have no idea how we'd make it all work or how we'd find out what Ukrainian refugees were being hosted in our town and locality. Hopefully all of this will be laid out for us in the coming weeks.
If your church can help Ukrainians can it not do the same for local homeless people already? Serious question.

D

Deleted member 1147

No room I’m afraid
Also, we have to think of the Syrians, Yemenis etc who’ve been displace by war, but aren’t so attractive to western eyes.
I can’t think what’s different between people from war torn Ukraine and war torn Asia ?