Will you be offering a home to a Ukrainian refugee?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Also, we have to think of the Syrians, Yemenis etc who’ve been displace by war, but aren’t so attractive to western eyes. I can’t think what’s different between people from war torn Ukraine and war torn Asia ?

I must admit this is something that I have struggled with slightly over the last fortnight or so. We have a big enough house, a spare room and easily space for a mum and younger child for example. We talked about it, decided that we probably wouldn’t for the time being purely because of having a young daughter and not knowing how much help these people would need. The issue I have is the uncomfortable truth that whilst we actively considered doing this we’ve also watched numerous wars etc with migrants being displaced from further afield and never once given any thought to putting ourselves forward for the same thing.

RichA

Visit site
No room I’m afraid
Also, we have to think of the Syrians, Yemenis etc who’ve been displace by war, but aren’t so attractive to western eyes.
I can’t think what’s different between people from war torn Ukraine and war torn Asia ?
I still don't get this argument and the judgement of people who are doing something genuinely good.
Helping somebody is better than helping nobody.
If your neighbour asks to borrow your lawnmower do you refuse, because you didn't offer to lend it to some bloke 200 miles away a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I still don't get this argument and the judgement of people who are doing something genuinely good.
Helping somebody is better than helping nobody.
If your neighbour asks to borrow your lawnmower do you refuse, because you didn't offer to lend it to some bloke 200 miles away a couple of years ago.
My issue is the government/people’s lack of drive to help out “neighbours” when they were from other war torn countries

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh dear. The racist card is being branded now even where people are offering to help, such a shame.
There were some real concerns with the risks of ISIS terrorists and sympathisers during the Syria war and that was a very realistic worry, however, millions were taken into European countries. There are also some extremely wealthy nations in the Middle East region who should have been doing more for their displaced neighbours.

Sad that people's generosity can be dismissed as racism.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If your church can help Ukrainians can it not do the same for local homeless people already? Serious question.
We do support homeless…through providing free food through our cafe if any come in seeking support…not that there are that many local homeless in our town. And as you’d expect we give much time and support to local charities as well as National and international ones. Our church redevelopment project is to provide a community facility for pretty much whatever the local community wants to use it for.

Our thoughts on supporting Ukrainians are along the lines of providing them with a town centre ‘community hub’ where they can come together to meet and share; and to use our kitchen and rooms for whatever they might wish, and for there to be a focal point and point of contact for others. But we are only a small congregation and so setting it up and running it is not something we can easily do…and would need outside support, guidance and advice on how to do it.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We do support homeless…through providing free food through our cafe if any come in seeking support…not that there are that many local homeless in our town. And as you’d expect we give much time and support to local charities as well as National and international ones. Our church redevelopment project is to provide a community facility for pretty much whatever the local community wants to use it for.

Our thoughts on supporting Ukrainians are along the lines of providing them with a town centre ‘community hub’ where they can come together to meet and share; and to use our kitchen and rooms for whatever they might wish, and for there to be a focal point and point of contact for others. But we are only a small congregation and so setting it up and running it is not something we can easily do…and would need outside support, guidance and advice on how to do it.
I think that support hubs will be essential for the Ukrainians. I suspect most people offering rooms won't have the time or expertise to allow the refugees to settle in and become as integrated as possible into the community. They will need a lot of help and assistance, it isn't as simple as just giving them a room - although that is an important start.

D

Deleted member 23270

Very pleased to read this. I'm all for supporting those less fortunate than us but also believe that charity starts at home ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very pleased to read this. I'm all for supporting those less fortunate than us but also believe that charity starts at home ?
Just one observation on the homeless on our streets. Clearly they needn’t be given all were found accommodation pretty quickly for the duration of the most worrying and difficult period of the lockdown..

That some homeless (a minority I might suggest) choose to live on the street, we’ll that is another matter.

We are still no clearer on what we have to do to set up a Ukrainian community hub if such is required in our town and what would be required of us by government. Or indeed quite how we find out how many refugees are already in, or might be homed in, our community.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Havering council are to visit my parents end of may to assess the house to see if suitable for an Ukrainian family

only thing thats made me sad is how long ago this thread was created... 2 months of war already? just awful.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just had the pleasure of helping 3 Ukrainians in our local supermarket earlier. Lovely, friendly people. Warm tentative smiles. A little nervous, understandably, but so grateful for what little help I could offer. Bit of a language barrier but I just spoke louder;)