What is a sport?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Judging the financial success of the Olympics is always hard to quantify, 2012 saw a big jump in VAT receipts that the government received.
Trouble was Londoners who also saw a big jump in the Council Tax to help finance it.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hardly follow the Olympics anymore except the 100m men’s which I think is still the pinnacle.

Somehow some of the paraolympics is even more fascinating. London 2012 got me into it

And from the winter category.. I can binge on Curling

London 2012 was epic but lost interest primarily because of timezone.. Rio and Tokyo were too far away to wake up to

RichA

Visit site
As least town planning is no longer an Olympic discipline.
There used to be various art disciplines, but not anymore.
But whipping a dumb animal into submission and making it skip around to music can still get you multiple Olympic golds.
There are too many non-sports for me to think of it as the pinnacle for most of the actual sports.
I'll probably watch the athletics and rowing finals, if there's any British involvement. Depending what fills the Swing Bee timeslot after this weeks final anyway.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s a difficult one to quantify as it’s still generating revenue 12 years later. For example, East Village houses 6,000 families - how much rent and local spending has that generated. 6,000 families averaging £500 a month = £36,000,000 a year. As it’s London prices I wouldn’t be surprised if it was double that. West Ham are paying close on £4m rent this year alone. The initial return was around £174,000,000.

So… £36,000,000 x 10 years = £360,000,000. + £3,000,000 x 10 years = £30,000,000 + the initial return of £174,000,000 = £564,000,000.

Good illustration. Except £500 per month will get you a cupboard. £3k minimum for a family sized flat.
So £36m x 6 = £216m per year.

sunshine

Visit site
Art was part of the original modern olympics. It was taken out because the artists were deemed professionals. I guess that as that criteria has now been sidelined, it can make a comeback. Competitive sculpting anyone? 😀

This is fascinating. Love the fact that the Olympic stadium itself was worthy of a gold medal.

They should bring these events back. Singing could be like Eurovision or BGT.
Also it would be a bit like the Turner Prize and we could have arguments about whether an entry constitutes art 🤣

imonika

Banned
Visit site
Personally, I think if it involves physical skill and competition, it counts as a sport, even if it's not all about speed or strength.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the Olympics are well under way, with lots of pat no attention to sports types watching them intently.
But which sports shouldnt be an Olympic sport?
For me, Football, Tennis, Rugby, Golf or anything that isn't in the World Championships for Amateurs.

Feel free to wade in:)