Is there a place for Men-Only Events these Days

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not asked in the context of sport where the subject of mixed-sex competitions is a quite separate debate.

I'm thinking more in the context of the Presidents Club disgrace debate and then right at home the Burns Supper that I organised last Saturday.

On the latter - in the past tradition has it that a Burns Supper would be male-only - and I've attended such events at Golf Clubs in the past. But I think that is dying out - may in fact have completely died out. In my case it's a non-issue as the event was held for church project funds and I had a ceilidh dance after the meal and recitals/songs.

But on the radio this morning I heard a lady who organises many charity fundraising events and some are men-only. And why? Her rationale was that 1) in general in a relationship it is the man who hold the purse strings - and 2) men are more likely to have more money available for donation to charitable purposes. So get the men along by themselves - get them pisses up and having a great time - lovely eye-candy and all that. And empty their wallets.

Now the above may in fact be true - albeit unfortunately - but probably true. The organiser says she protects the girls who work at the event from harassment by making it clear that the girls should - there and then - report any such sexual harassment and the culprit will be hoofed out of the event and banned from future events. But she would not expose the individual publicly for fear of putting off men from going to her events in the future in case they are falsely accused...and as a result fundraising would be impacted.

Quite...

But this lead me to wonder whether there are men who go along to such events thinking that there will be lots of 'available totty' - that they will be immune from criticism of inappropriate behaviour, because if the organiser makes a stink over harassment then he will simply not donate to the charity - and clearly where the man is a wealthy individual this would seriously impact the charity

And that led me to think that the girls who work at men-only charity events know that the charity needs the attendees to have a great time so they donate a load of money - and if she complains the fundraising will be impacted. So no matter what she is told about reporting harassment - will she do so - and risk not being labelled a troublemaker and not asked to work at future events by the organisers.

I was conflicted about the sacking of the Labour Peer who attended - just attending and you get sacked? And I was also not sure about the language Corbyn has used in describing the event - it sounding way OTT. But having though it through maybe the sacking was right. He should not have gone along to something advertised as 'the most non-PC event...'

And even if he didn't quite realise the nature of the event, as soon as it became clear that there has been sexual harassment at the event in the past (there was a warning given on the menu) - he should have left immediately. And as it appears that he didn't - well that one thing changed my mind.

Men-only events? No place today. Convince me otherwise.

D

Deleted member 23270

I have no issues with single sex events, why should I?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no issues with single sex events, why should I?

I would have hoped that I have explained why you might. Of course I am not talking about events where the is no female presence whatsoever - so no female staff/waitresses etc

Why do we think that there should be male-only social events? What is the point of them?

D

Deleted member 16999

I would have hoped that I have explained why you might. Of course I am not talking about events where the is no female presence whatsoever - so no female staff/waitresses etc

Why do we think that there should be male-only social events? What is the point of them?
My last Unit had no females serving with us, should we have banned social events until we had a token female soldier posted in?

Woody69 gave the correct answer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My last Unit had no females serving with us, should we have banned social events until we had a token female soldier posted in?

Woody69 gave the correct answer.

I think that that scenario is a wee bit different. If there are no females about that could attend an event then you're not going to cancel it for that reason, that's obviously not the same as positively excluded females from and event.

I might suggest that behaviour, language and talk/discussion that is 'allowed' at single-sex events can perpetuate an attitude in respect of girls and women that is not healthy? I might suggest that for as long as there remain contexts and situations in which it is normal, permissible and even encouraged to talk in 'sexual' or disparaging ways about women then we are always going to have an issue with sexism and sexual harassment? If you wouldn't say it in front of your wife, daughter, girlfriend or female work colleague then why is it OK to say it in an organised event? I might ask.

I am only seeking opinion here.

My starting point was that I disagreed with the Corbyn sacking of Lord Mendelsohn and his describing the President Club event as shocking, disgusting and disgraceful. Now - I'm not so sure.

Though this may simply be a Corbyn ploy to force May's hand over her 'minister in attendance' Nadhim Zahawi.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One could ask the same of lady only events...

A mate of mine earned a small fortune being the star turn at them...

One could - though the issue of sexism, sexual harassment and related issues is not even-handed - being mainly associated with the harassment of females.

BTW - I still think Corbyn's language rather OTT on this. The behaviour of however many at the event is almost certainly simply a reflection of attitudes in wider male society and that can be found anywhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Been to a few and really not my cuppa of tea.

Agree with woody69, nothing more to add.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Of course there is...

And by the same token there are plenty of "ladies only events" in existence, many where the behaviour is quite appalling. Heck, our dear Labour Party even held gender segregated events in some constituencies...I assume they behaved ok in those!

The issue at the Presidents Club is one of lewd behaviour, not segregation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Get off the bandwagon. Some blokes behave badly, most don’t.

what bandwagon?

I simply ask that if you think there is a place for men-only events then why? Because one reason I can think of is that it allows men to talk and joke about women in whatever way they wish without fear of reprimand or censure.

Of course some men might see such an event as being an opportunity for blokes to talk about things that most women find dead boring - such as golf, football, cricket, rugby.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with all of the comments. Nothing wrong with men only events, nothing wrong with female only events. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour.

I've been to Round Table events, men only, and no one stepped out of line with any ladies working as waitresses or bar staff, no one even thought of it.

My wife takes part in a women only running group. My SiL goes to a female only gym, The leisure centre has female only swimming sessions.

Sometimes it is good to separate things, men and women are very different and the evenings are different if they are mixed. There is a place for both.

Corbyn was a muppet for sacking the bloke for simply being there. It was a charity fund raiser for Gt Ormond Street. Why would you turn that down? Had he been there and touched a waitress then that is a different matter but sacked for being at a charity event? Bizarre.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
what bandwagon?
The all men are bad bandwagon. It’s virtue signaling nonsense.
Ban all male gatherings because some are badly run & attended by idiots??

I wouldn’t attend any kind of gentleman's evening I much prefer mixed company. But ban them really. If an individual misbehaves then punish them accordingly

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree with all of the comments. Nothing wrong with men only events, nothing wrong with female only events. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour.

I've been to Round Table events, men only, and no one stepped out of line with any ladies working as waitresses or bar staff, no one even thought of it.

My wife takes part in a women only running group. My SiL goes to a female only gym, The leisure centre has female only swimming sessions.

Sometimes it is good to separate things, men and women are very different and the evenings are different if they are mixed. There is a place for both.

Corbyn was a muppet for sacking the bloke for simply being there. It was a charity fund raiser for Gt Ormond Street. Why would you turn that down? Had he been there and touched a waitress then that is a different matter but sacked for being at a charity event? Bizarre.

I don't actually disagree with much of not most of what you say, my only thought in respect of Mendelsohn is why he was going along to such an event despite the cause - which is great. But he didn't need to go. And when he was there - surely as soon as he found that there had been harassment issues in the past he should have left - given his being a Lord and position in politics.

On Round Table events - I don;t know anything about the Round Table. Is it open to both sexes?

And notwithstanding that there is very little chance that anyone would step out of line - what is the point of making it men only?

And as I seem (as usual) to be taking incoming flak - I have to say again that I don't actually yet have a settled view on men-only events

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The all men aren’t bad bandwagon. It’s virtue signaling nonsense.
Ban all male gatherings because some are badly run & attended by idiots??

I wouldn’t attend any kind of gentleman's evening I much prefer mixed company. But ban them really. If an individual misbehaves then punish them accordingly

You have just there stated the issue that some see 'If an individual misbehaves...' If someone misbehaves (in a sexual context) then a girl has been misbehaved against.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
if a man misbehaves in a sexist or sexual way then there is a female victim of that behaviour. That's all.
cheers columbo, still about the individual not the make up of gathering.
I’ve been in mixed company where someone has behaved poorly to the staff, doesn’t make the party liable

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
cheers columbo, still about the individual not the make up of gathering.
I’ve been in mixed company where someone has behaved poorly to the staff, doesn’t make the party liable

...as said earlier. Virtue Signalling nonsense..... bad behaviour is bad behaviour and it needs dealing with.

You cant hold everyone present responsible unless it said on the invite "Please come to our, Grope a waitress evening!"