Prostate Cancer

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am quite a pragmatic person. My best friend and brother-in-law who was a Dr at Cambridge researching Cancer died of bowel cancel at 34, I am godfather to his 3 daughters, it is as it is really but don't be frightened of dealing with it, whatever that may be.

I do have a lot of the symptons but I realise it could be an enlarged prostate or something else not necessarily cancer.

I did not have to push for a test. Since 29/12 I have had a chest infection and post viral infection and what feels like another chest infection as well as my Prostate symptons. I have not worked since 29/12 and am seeing my Dr on Tuesday with full set of results incoming.

The post viral fatigus is terrible, I am constantly shattered and do nothing but watch tv and surf the web, I can play some games for 30 minutes or so but lack the concentration for anything more. I am driving my wife nuts.

Lets hope for some good news however I would prefer something to be foudn that can be cured to make me better, I think that may be wishful thinking rather than pragmatic

Thanks for the offer :)
I do hope you get some good news.
I would just like to add, after my surgery for Prostate Cancer I obviously had a lot of time on my hands. So I went on line and looked at some PC sites that were recommended to me. To be honest I didn't find them very helpful to me.
What I wanted to know was, how life for me going forward, was going to be like. What were my chances for longer term survival, how would I cope with what has happened to me, how do I compare to other survivors.

Eventually I discovered a very informative and helpful website from America. I don't think I've mentioned this before.

It's a forum very similar to this in some ways. There is so much knowledge on there from fellow sufferers. Whichever question you may have somebody will come along and answer you.
The Americans really know about their health (as you know they have to pay for treatment).
Any question you have someone has or is experiencing similar issues.

If when you might join the forum, there is an introductory explanation of the prostate journey. This I found really helpful.

I don't frequent the site as often these days but I would certainly recommend anyone who would like to find out more about PC and the journey ahead.

It's : healingwell.com

Hope you or anybody else finds it useful.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do hope you get some good news.
I would just like to add, after my surgery for Prostate Cancer I obviously had a lot of time on my hands. So I went on line and looked at some PC sites that were recommended to me. To be honest I didn't find them very helpful to me.
What I wanted to know was, how life for me going forward, was going to be like. What were my chances for longer term survival, how would I cope with what has happened to me, how do I compare to other survivors.

Eventually I discovered a very informative and helpful website from America. I don't think I've mentioned this before.

It's a forum very similar to this in some ways. There is so much knowledge on there from fellow sufferers. Whichever question you may have somebody will come along and answer you.
The Americans really know about their health (as you know they have to pay for treatment).
Any question you have someone has or is experiencing similar issues.

If when you might join the forum, there is an introductory explanation of the prostate journey. This I found really helpful.

I don't frequent the site as often these days but I would certainly recommend anyone who would like to find out more about PC and the journey ahead.

It's : healingwell.com

Hope you or anybody else finds it useful.

Thanks for that information. My husband is waiting for an appointment for a biopsy so any credible information is valuable. A golfing pal likened it to having a shotgun put up your ass and the trigger pulled. Not helpful. I did show him Tashy's post which helped a bit!

Hopefully all will be clear. PSA is slowly rising but finger up the bum exam result was fine. MRI showed "something" so hence the biopsy.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that information. My husband is waiting for an appointment for a biopsy so any credible information is valuable. A golfing pal likened it to having a shotgun put up your ass and the trigger pulled. Not helpful. I did show him Tashy's post which helped a bit!

Hopefully all will be clear. PSA is slowly rising but finger up the bum exam result was fine. MRI showed "something" so hence the biopsy.
That was exactly my experience, something showed on MRI showed ‘something’ so had the biopsy which was not a pleasant experience but it did show no symptoms of cancer so going forward I’m having regular psa tests.

Hope your husband has the same results.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was exactly my experience, something showed on MRI showed ‘something’ so had the biopsy which was not a pleasant experience but it did show no symptoms of cancer so going forward I’m having regular psa tests.

Hope your husband has the same results.

Thanks. That's what we're hoping and if there is something it will have been caught very early.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am not gonna lie Amanda, it is not the norm for a guy to sit in a chair with his legs in the air looking like he is giving birth like in the show Call the midwife. Am actually sat here now smiling about it. But for me it was the not knowing whether it was or was not nasty. Whatever the diagnosis I knew there was a plan in place to move forward. That fo me was far better than putting my head in the sand.
Good luck me ducks.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am not gonna lie Amanda, it is not the norm for a guy to sit in a chair with his legs in the air looking like he is giving birth like in the show Call the midwife. Am actually sat here now smiling about it. But for me it was the not knowing whether it was or was not nasty. Whatever the diagnosis I knew there was a plan in place to move forward. That fo me was far better than putting my head in the sand.
Good luck me ducks.

Thanks Tashy. Females are used to getting prodded and poked with legs akimbo but it is a shock for a guy!!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Thanks Tashy. Females are used to getting prodded and poked with legs akimbo but it is a shock for a guy!!
There were aspects of my violation procedure I did not go into.

1, because it could invoke an infraction for being graphic.
2, it was tea time and not the best thing to be reading whilst having ones meat and two veg.

That said, it was far more palatable a procedure to go through than ignoring it and possibly going through more invasive operations further down the line. 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck me ducks.

I never sat in a chair with legs spread 😂 I was on op table on my side with legs together and bent up towards my stomach.

I wish I was forewarned better about the procedure as the consultant told me it was a relatively painless operation.

So a bit of a shock when he started taking samples😧

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Let's hope your husband has a positive outcome.

I would certainly disregard the shotgun comment.
It's different for everybody, I didn't find it too invasive. They gave me some local anaesthetic and for me it was an uncomfortable experience, nothing more.
And remember, it's the definitive answer, at least he will know where he's at.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
OK I have had the blood test result back and it is normal,. I have also had finger feel and that was fine as well. I have also had a lot of other tests and it looks like it may be a heart problem, resting pulse is very high as is blood pressure. They have given me tablets and I have to go back Thursday, if my pulse is still over 120 they are going to admit me for tests. ALso having more blood tests and a chest XC-Ray due to my coughing and breathlessness.

Fingers Crossed

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK I have had the blood test result back and it is normal,. I have also had finger feel and that was fine as well. I have also had a lot of other tests and it looks like it may be a heart problem, resting pulse is very high as is blood pressure. They have given me tablets and I have to go back Thursday, if my pulse is still over 120 they are going to admit me for tests. ALso having more blood tests and a chest XC-Ray due to my coughing and breathlessness.

Fingers Crossed
A few years back I suddenly became breathless when walking. I had a number of tests that showed no results. The doctors at the hospital were baffled as to what was causing it. A young trainee doctor present asked if I took any medication, I did take a low dose beta blocker to regulate my pulse rate and he suggested they changed it to another brand. The breathlessness stopped straight away and hasn't returned. I had taken the beta blocker for over 10 years.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Unfortunately that’s us guys.

That projected increase in case numbers is driven almost entirely by demography, though, a lot more older men means a lot more diseases that affect older men. Some of the common causes of death from the 70s and 80s have fallen a lot in prevalence since, heart attack, stroke, COPD, but everyone is going to die of something eventually, so diseases of cellular breakdown such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers are going to become more common. If every disease but one is eliminated, everyone will die of the one that is left.

Tashyboy

Visit site
That projected increase in case numbers is driven almost entirely by demography, though, a lot more older men means a lot more diseases that affect older men. Some of the common causes of death from the 70s and 80s have fallen a lot in prevalence since, heart attack, stroke, COPD, but everyone is going to die of something eventually, so diseases of cellular breakdown such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers are going to become more common. If every disease but one is eliminated, everyone will die of the one that is left.
Oddly enough I said something along the same lines to Missis T 😳👍