Prostate Cancer

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was 60 last month, I've never had a test of any sort. My GP website has a miriad of clinics and tests for women, but not a single thing for blokes.

Maybe I need to change GP?
Strange that Ian, my surgery call all men in for a health check at 50, 60 and 70 - I found it a bit of a farce but at least they do it

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had a letter from the hospital yesterday about my prostate cancer.
I've now been discharged back to the doctor for annual PSA tests.
I came into the system in July 2007.
So it's taken over 16 years to get me discharged.
It was diagnosed as stage 4 which is the same as saying it was terminal because it had gone into my bone.
Get checked if over 50. Speak to the doctor.
1 in 8 men will get prostate cancer.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Had a letter from the hospital yesterday about my prostate cancer.
I've now been discharged back to the doctor for annual PSA tests.
I came into the system in July 2007.
So it's taken over 16 years to get me discharged.
It was diagnosed as stage 4 which is the same as saying it was terminal because it had gone into my bone.
Get checked if over 50. Speak to the doctor.
1 in 8 men will get prostate cancer.

Great news.

I was only Stage 2 at diagnosis but even I was told it will be ten years of undetectable PSA levels before my surgeon will use the word “cured”. So, even after two years of being in remission I know my journey is far from over.

The only figure I contest is the 1 in 8. It’s actually nearer 1 in 6 men who will get PCa, but many never even find out because it either never troubles them, or something else gets them first.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great news.

Any doubts just get tested. Just had a bit of a scare myself after seeing blood in my pee which when tested was not a UTI. The subsequent probing 👆by the doctor found nothing to be worried about.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was only Stage 2 at diagnosis but even I was told it will be ten years of undetectable PSA levels before my surgeon will use the word “cured”. So, even after two years of being in remission I know my journey is far from over.
I don't think 'undetectable' is the right word. It's more like under 5 and stable for 10 years following treatment.
I don't think 'cured' is quite correct either. More like 99% gone.

Just like to mention all the controversy over the PSA test, of which I've had about 20.
If you believe some people, a result of over 5 means you are unlikely to have PC, and a result of under 5 could mean you do have it.
Don't listen to these people.
Listen to the medics instead.

Every day I see in bus shelters a big sign which says 1 in 8 men will get PC.
Get to know the symptoms. If any of these persist for more than a few days give your doctor a call.
Let the medics sort it for you, and don't listen to gossip.

Billysboots

Visit site
I don't think 'undetectable' is the right word. It's more like under 5 and stable for 10 years following treatment.
I don't think 'cured' is quite correct either. More like 99% gone.

Just like to mention all the controversy over the PSA test, of which I've had about 20.
If you believe some people, a result of over 5 means you are unlikely to have PC, and a result of under 5 could mean you do have it.
Don't listen to these people.
Listen to the medics instead.

Every day I see in bus shelters a big sign which says 1 in 8 men will get PC.
Get to know the symptoms. If any of these persist for more than a few days give your doctor a call.
Let the medics sort it for you, and don't listen to gossip.

I think you have some of this back to front.

The PSA figure to be aware of is 4, and it’s anything OVER 4 which should set alarm bells ringing, and anything UNDER that number which tends to suggest there isn’t an issue. Not the other way round, as you allude to.

And, post prostate removal, you want undetectable PSA (less than 0.04), not just a figure under 4. If my PSA ever reaches anything above 0.2, never mind 4, then as a man with no prostate I will be very, very concerned. It is almost certainly an indication of a biochemical recurrence. That’s from the medics, by the way.

That aside, I agree entirely. Listen to the medics, not the gossips, and don’t ignore the symptoms.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Apologies, I did not know you had surgery.
I was only offered hormones followed 4 years later by radiotherapy.
So I've still got the gland, but damaged by radiation.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I see my estimate of over 5 on the PSA is now out of date.
It all depends on your age.

Mine rose to over 12 in 2007 when I was age 57.
I was told by a nurse that some patients had readings in the thousands.

Billysboots

Visit site
I see my estimate of over 5 on the PSA is now out of date.
It all depends on your age.

Mine rose to over 12 in 2007 when I was age 57.
I was told by a nurse that some patients had readings in the thousands.

When I was diagnosed I was told anything over 4 for a man in his mid 50’s was a red flag. My two tests were 4.1 and 4.0 so my GP was in two minds whether to even take it any further. I’m just glad she did.

Yes, “acceptable” PSA levels are very much age dependent now.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
This article looks useful.
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ab... have found that men,brisk walking or jogging

The biggest problem I had after treatment was a rise in the PSA after the nadir. It went from 0.3 to 2.2.
Subsequent tests showed no recurrence, but it was scary.

I've also found qigong to be helpful and relaxing. Studies have indicated that it's good for making telomerase which protects cells.
Ref: The Telomere Effect, a book by Elizabeth Blackburn, Nobel Prize for molecular biology.
One such practice:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just had blood test for this, seeing the Dr's on Tuesday for the results. I have a lot of the symptons which have just started to get a lot worse, i'm 52

Billysboots

Visit site
I have just had blood test for this, seeing the Dr's on Tuesday for the results. I have a lot of the symptons which have just started to get a lot worse, i'm 52

There are other explanations than cancer - a benign enlarged prostate is just as likely as anything more sinister.

Happy to exchange PM’s if you have any questions or concerns. Hope all goes well on Tuesday.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I am quite a pragmatic person. My best friend and brother-in-law who was a Dr at Cambridge researching Cancer died of bowel cancel at 34, I am godfather to his 3 daughters, it is as it is really but don't be frightened of dealing with it, whatever that may be.

I do have a lot of the symptons but I realise it could be an enlarged prostate or something else not necessarily cancer.

I did not have to push for a test. Since 29/12 I have had a chest infection and post viral infection and what feels like another chest infection as well as my Prostate symptons. I have not worked since 29/12 and am seeing my Dr on Tuesday with full set of results incoming.

The post viral fatigus is terrible, I am constantly shattered and do nothing but watch tv and surf the web, I can play some games for 30 minutes or so but lack the concentration for anything more. I am driving my wife nuts.

Lets hope for some good news however I would prefer something to be foudn that can be cured to make me better, I think that may be wishful thinking rather than pragmatic

Thanks for the offer :)