Prostate Cancer

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just to reiterate was Chris was saying about testing.
Following psa test and biopsy in 2022 my results came back clear and I was put on Active Surveillance with 3 monthly psa tests.

After a gradual increase with the psa tests I had another mri scan and biopsies which this time showed grade one and some cancer which I was told is slow growing and contained in prostate so not to bad.

I will be going for surgery to get it whipped out but not with Chris gloved hand surgeon😂

So don’t delay going for tests if you suspect anything

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just to reiterate was Chris was saying about testing.
Following psa test and biopsy in 2022 my results came back clear and I was put on Active Surveillance with 3 monthly psa tests.

After a gradual increase with the psa tests I had another mri scan and biopsies which this time showed grade one and some cancer which I was told is slow growing and contained in prostate so not to bad.

I will be going for surgery to get it whipped out but not with Chris gloved hand surgeon😂

So don’t delay going for tests if you suspect anything

Seems rather odd to hit the like button when someone tells us they have cancer, but your underlying advice is spot on.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for that information. My husband is waiting for an appointment for a biopsy so any credible information is valuable. A golfing pal likened it to having a shotgun put up your ass and the trigger pulled. Not helpful. I did show him Tashy's post which helped a bit!

Hopefully all will be clear. PSA is slowly rising but finger up the bum exam result was fine. MRI showed "something" so hence the biopsy.
Just want to apologise for not seeing your posts re your husband. They were while I was in hospital after my heart attack and waiting surgery and I missed loads of posts.

I sincerely hope your husband gets all the help that he needs through the hospital he's under. In my experience, once you are diagnosed then everything clicks in to place with the cancer care units, I can't speak highly enough of mine and I think most say the same when they've been diagnosed and treated.

Please wish him well and the same to you as this will impact on you as he goes through whatever journey he needs

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just want to apologise for not seeing your posts re your husband. They were while I was in hospital after my heart attack and waiting surgery and I missed loads of posts.

I sincerely hope your husband gets all the help that he needs through the hospital he's under. In my experience, once you are diagnosed then everything clicks in to place with the cancer care units, I can't speak highly enough of mine and I think most say the same when they've been diagnosed and treated.

Please wish him well and the same to you as this will impact on you as he goes through whatever journey he needs

Thanks Chris. He had his biopsy last week so now waiting for the results. We're both optimistic as he's symptom-free, "manual" test was fine and nothing confirmed on MRI. If there is anything it will have been caught very early.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to end my postings of the journey through my prostate cancer.

Two years ago I had my prostate ripped out by a surgeon wearing a big leather glove (I might be exaggerating a little) but anyway my PSA blood tests have always come out "non detectable" which means that all the cancer appeared to have been removed.

Yesterday I had my 2 year anniversary call, which, if the blood test was to be a good result again would then signal an end to my hospital after care and just a referral to my GP for 6 monthly blood tests. I'm can't tell you how pleased, and relieved I am that the last result was " undetectable" again 😁😁😁😁.

Please, if you have any symptoms that could, even remotely, indicate a prostate problem get to your doctor as soon as possible - you don't have to die from prostate cancer but too many men do!
Amazing Chris. Don’t check in here often but hope you’re doing well mate.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just to update my story, after being referred to a top consultant who told me as my cancer is the lowest grade and very slow growing his advice was not to go for surgery but stay on active surveillance , which is psa tests every 3months and mri every year.

I’m happy to follow that advice.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to update my story, after being referred to a top consultant who told me as my cancer is the lowest grade and very slow growing his advice was not to go for surgery but stay on active surveillance , which is psa tests every 3months and mri every year.

But don't be afraid to contact them if YOU feel any changes taking place asap (y)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's reassuring as David had similar results. Low grade 7. Last PSA was slightly down too. The consultant did push surgery or hormone treatment at first and last option was active surveillance. We chose that option too. I get they have a "cure" but both surgery and hormone treatments have the risk of pretty significant (life changing?) side effects and we could be looking at 5-10 years with no change 🙏

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's reassuring as David had similar results. Low grade 7. Last PSA was slightly down too. The consultant did push surgery or hormone treatment at first and last option was active surveillance. We chose that option too. I get they have a "cure" but both surgery and hormone treatments have the risk of pretty significant (life changing?) side effects and we could be looking at 5-10 years with no change 🙏

My first consultant gave me choice of 3 options surgery, radiotherapy or A/S (my gleeson score was 6)my first thought was I wanted out asp,and he seemed to agree.
It wasn’t until I researched the options that I had doubts about surgery.
The second consultant was so much better and explained his reasoning to advise staying on a/s , his actual words were ‘ why would you want to put yourself through surgery which would have considerable impacts on your life when in his opinion it’s unnecessary at this stage’

Seems like your husband is at a similar stage and it’s reassuring that the last psa was lower.
🤞

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Great to see you post mate. The prostate is (thankfully) history now. I'm awaiting the results of a 2 week heart monitoring that I've had, otherwise I feel really good. I hope you're all good too 😁
What’s the history behind the monitoring of your ticker Chris 👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What’s the history behind the monitoring of your ticker Chris 👍

Hi Tashy, so after my heart attack/s I had 2 stents fitted and was discharged from hospital. I had cardiac rehab fitness twice a week for eight weeks. I raised the point that when I was in hospital I was connected to a monitor day and night and it used to beep loudly when anyone went below 50 beats per minute. My BPM would go down to as low as 31 bpm at night and would wake everyone in the ward every night quite often.

I was diagnosed with Bradycardia which is just a name for anyone who's pulse is less that the 60 to 100 bpm that is the norm. I kept asking whether I should be worried about how low it went and bought a fitness watch to monitor sleeping rates which still proves I go down to 32 to 39 almost every night. I kept asking, and eventually my doctors recommended a monitor.

I got one sent to me by a company organised by the NHS which I had to prepare the skin, then stick it on my chest for 14 days, after which I peeled it off and sent it back to the company. That's where I'm at now, they said the results will take 4 days to get to the consultant who ordered it and I hope I'll learn more this coming week. That's just a quick run through, if you want any further info I'll be happy to answer

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hi Tashy, so after my heart attack/s I had 2 stents fitted and was discharged from hospital. I had cardiac rehab fitness twice a week for eight weeks. I raised the point that when I was in hospital I was connected to a monitor day and night and it used to beep loudly when anyone went below 50 beats per minute. My BPM would go down to as low as 31 bpm at night and would wake everyone in the ward every night quite often.

I was diagnosed with Bradycardia which is just a name for anyone who's pulse is less that the 60 to 100 bpm that is the norm. I kept asking whether I should be worried about how low it went and bought a fitness watch to monitor sleeping rates which still proves I go down to 32 to 39 almost every night. I kept asking, and eventually my doctors recommended a monitor.

I got one sent to me by a company organised by the NHS which I had to prepare the skin, then stick it on my chest for 14 days, after which I peeled it off and sent it back to the company. That's where I'm at now, they said the results will take 4 days to get to the consultant who ordered it and I hope I'll learn more this coming week. That's just a quick run through, if you want any further info I'll be happy to answer
Thanks for the info Chris, it kinda endorses how I feel. “Listen to your Body”. A stitch in time could save nine. Proactive is better than reactive. Hope it all works out well. Missis T has had a review with the drs last week re her ticker. Suffice to say all is well.