Prostate Cancer

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Again, someone using their own experience doesn’t change statistical clinical outcomes.
That’s right and the stats between breast and Prostate is 1%.
That said people that have had any cancer tend not to talk about statistical clinical outcomes.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Prostate and breast cancer are both the second most common cancers in men and women respectively. Approximately 13 percent of women will develop breast cancer while about 12 percent of men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer.

in both cases early diagnosis helps reduce the impact and severity.
Instance is one aspect, severity is enough. Breast cancer affects younger women more often than prostate cancer affects men and is more aggressive and more deadly overall.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
That’s right and the stats between breast and Prostate is 1%.
That said people that have had any cancer tend not to talk about statistical clinical outcomes.
You’re showing severe ignorance between regularity and severity of disease.

Swango1980

Visit site
I used to think that everyone in the UK was invited for a general check-up at the age of 40, and things like this would be looked for. Maybe a general blood test and brief physical exam.

But, I guess not, as I'm 42 now and not been invited for a check up by the GP. The only way I'd ever go to the GP is if I've a major symptom that is causing me grief (touch wood, not happened), because I don't want to randomly go to a GP when I've no major issues, and look like a hypochondriac. Especially when GPs are so busy.

I guess it would be nice if GPs were like dentists, where the general guide and expectation was to have a check up every 6 months. Probably not 6 months, but maybe every year or 2 years. Especially as you hear that so many illnesses don't reveal their symptoms for quite some time, or they can be similar to the symptoms of other very minor issues.

O know that doesn't answer the OP. But, it is suprising that you hear so many campaigns on TV about being aware of prostate cancer, and yet the guide from some GPs is making it sound quite scary to even dare get tested in the first place.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a phone call on the course today. From the consultant that did the prostate biopsy’. He once more said “it’s all clear and now I have peace of mind”. I couldn’t of put it better.
That’s good news Tash, that’s slightly different to what my consultant told me he said ‘ I can’t say 100% it’s all clear but what I can say is that there is no cancer showing up on the biopsy’

I am to have psa test every 3 months at the moment and the last four I had were ok.

Strange letter the op received I would hope this is not the normal response across the board.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The NHS page for prostate cancer looks like it’s pushing not to test but also says it reduces the chance of dying if screening detects the cancer early. It also makes comment on false positives and the side effects of the treatment.

TBH, if I felt the need, I’d ask for the test.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PSA test is like a lot of tests (bowel cancer test comes to mind)

If it shows a positive test then it is most probably correct if it shows a negative one you cannot be certain.

Doctor putting his finger up can easily test if you have an enlarged prostate and there are drugs to shrink it. They worked for me for first time and several years I am now on another course and early signs are promising.

Tashyboy

Visit site
That’s good news Tash, that’s slightly different to what my consultant told me he said ‘ I can’t say 100% it’s all clear but what I can say is that there is no cancer showing up on the biopsy’

I am to have psa test every 3 months at the moment and the last four I had were ok.

Strange letter the op received I would hope this is not the normal response across the board.
I must of had half a dozen txt messages saying I would receive a call off the consultant. And not to attend the hospital. He confirmed what a nurse had told me a Couple of weeks ago. He did mention about sending a Letter to gp to have yearly PSA tests. But he said everything was excellent. Really glad of the call coz me golf was rammel.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
PSA test is like a lot of tests (bowel cancer test comes to mind)

If it shows a positive test then it is most probably correct if it shows a negative one you cannot be certain.

Doctor putting his finger up can easily test if you have an enlarged prostate and there are drugs to shrink it. They worked for me for first time and several years I am now on another course and early signs are promising.
I did wonder if the digit test would be a better indicator than the PSA test, but from what I've read, all it will tell you is whether the prostate is enlarged, however an enlarged prostate is very common in older men and does not necessarily indicate cancer?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I did wonder if the digit test would be a better indicator than the PSA test, but from what I've read, all it will tell you is whether the prostate is enlarged, however an enlarged prostate is very common in older men and does not necessarily indicate cancer?

The indicator when doing a digital exam will be whether the prostate feels smooth. Slightly raised PSA combined with an enlarged but otherwise smooth prostate is likely to be nothing sinister. If the prostate does not feel smooth I would suggest that’s likely to require further investigation.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm quite shocked by the tone of the letter which is basically saying the PSA test is very unreliable and not worth having. i thought it was a no-brainer to have one if you have a raised risk?
Don't take any notice of that letter. It's very misleading.
My own battle with the disease goes back to 2007, and I definitely had it, and it was diagnosed as stage 4. There is no stage 5.
I've sat in front of so many doctors, nurses, oncologists and they all said something different.
You might just have an enlarged prostate gland which is quite normal as you get older.

Don't take chances. PC kills one man ever 45 seconds, or so it says on the poster.
You are entitled to a full blood test every 12 months. This includes the PSA test.
If PSA is over 5 and you are offered a rectal biopsy then go for it. Just a bit of discomfort, that's all. They give you a painkiller.

One other thouht. I have never smoked in my life, so the idea that you can't get cancer if you don't smoke is untrue.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my age I get an annual health check from my Surgery. They take a blood pressure check, weigh me and take some blood samples for tests. When I called for the results I was told by the receptionist they were all OK, however I asked for the actual results as I was interested to know my cholesterol level. I was surprised there was no PSA test as we are informed higher numbers get prostate cancer in older age.

Like the OP I asked for a PSA test as I've heard of many cases where men had aggressive prostate cancer with no symptoms. They also suggested it wasn't necessary but when I asked to see a Doctor to discuss it they gave me a test. It turned out negative.

RichA

Visit site
I used to think that everyone in the UK was invited for a general check-up at the age of 40, and things like this would be looked for. Maybe a general blood test and brief physical exam.

But, I guess not, as I'm 42 now and not been invited for a check up by the GP. The only way I'd ever go to the GP is if I've a major symptom that is causing me grief (touch wood, not happened), because I don't want to randomly go to a GP when I've no major issues, and look like a hypochondriac. Especially when GPs are so busy.

I guess it would be nice if GPs were like dentists, where the general guide and expectation was to have a check up every 6 months. Probably not 6 months, but maybe every year or 2 years. Especially as you hear that so many illnesses don't reveal their symptoms for quite some time, or they can be similar to the symptoms of other very minor issues.

O know that doesn't answer the OP. But, it is suprising that you hear so many campaigns on TV about being aware of prostate cancer, and yet the guide from some GPs is making it sound quite scary to even dare get tested in the first place.
I work with guys who live in different areas to me. They've mentioned being called in for a check at 50, which included the finger up the bum.
I'm approaching 53 and haven't been solicited by the GP yet. I guess it's maybe one of those things that's been cut with pressures that followed COVID.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I work with guys who live in different areas to me. They've mentioned being called in for a check at 50, which included the finger up the bum.
I'm approaching 53 and haven't been solicited by the GP yet. I guess it's maybe one of those things that's been cut with pressures that followed COVID.
I think Rich I would contact the Gp and ask for a PSA test. If nothing else it gives you a baseline score for years to come. For arguments Sake.If it comes back as 2. In 15 years time you could have one and it comes back as 10 then they knows there’s change. Again talking to Missis T. I was not invited for a PSA test at 60 yr old. She told me to insist on one as I have a brother who is 11 months older who is diagnosed with prostate cancer. Who has to have radiotherapy now