Are There Any Voices of Sport Anymore

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Liam McLeod on BBC Scotland radio commentary of Scotland international football matches…for the delight when Scotland score and the disbelief when we win 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

babylonsinger

Visit site
Think the saturation of sport across TV these days means there isn't really a standout in most sports. Most of my favourites these days are the analyst/expert rather than the play caller - Ally McCoist, Wayne Mardle, Simon Doull, Tony Romo, Sean Kelly.

Ray French is the one I recall most from my younger days - almost a monopoly on the sport in this country

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find its the radio that has the best commentators and pundits.
As I have said Agnew, Tuffers, Swanny, Alex Hartley, John Murray, Pat Nevin, Andrew Cotter, Iain Carter.
They for me are the current stand outs.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Snooker has a distinct set of commentators who are all ex players.
The other places that happens is Ironman triathlon.

Maybe it’s hard to get other commentators to keep their attention for 8 to 10 hours.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was lucky enough to spend a lot of time playing golf with Dan Maskell, the BBC tennis commentator for the young 'uns. Absolute gent and so many stories about the greats of the day

For me
Football - Motson
Golf - Alliss (went on too long in the end) and Murray
Tennis - Maskell, McEnroe
Horse Racing - Peter O'Sullivan and Richard Hoiles (who I went to primary school with)
Cricket - Laker, Benaud, Bumble
F1 - Murray Walker
Boxing - Harry Carpenter

Hard to think of too many modern equivalents in various sports that own it in the same way as these did

I'd add Alex Hay in with Alliss and Murray

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Snooker has a distinct set of commentators who are all ex players.
The other places that happens is Ironman triathlon.

Maybe it’s hard to get other commentators to keep their attention for 8 to 10 hours.
To be fair, the majority of golf commentators fall into this category as well. Cricket is not far behind. On the whole it has worked very well for those sports, they can add first hand knowledge and experience into their commentary. It would not work for everyone, I think those sports are lucky to have the talent pool that they can call on, with some exceptions obviously 😄

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No mention so far of David Vine - the voice of skiing on Ski Sunday for so many years. Don’t watch it enough these days to know if there is a new voice of skiing.

Now cycling. I watch quite a lot of that and certain voices I absolutely attach to it…Gary Imlach for intro and for commentary Phil Liggett, Ned Boulting and David Miller jump to mind…think maybe Liggett is my most recognised voice.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No mention so far of David Vine - the voice of skiing on Ski Sunday for so many years. Don’t watch it enough these days to know if there is a new voice of skiing.

Now cycling. I watch quite a lot of that and certain voices I absolutely attach to it…Gary Imlach for intro and for commentary Phil Liggett, Ned Boulting and David Miller jump to mind…think maybe Liggett is my most recognised voice.
For cycling, Eurosport had the best with David Duffield with Sean Kelly at his side.
Duffield would commentate on the complete days racing and never sounded boring or uninformed.