Which of these Northern courses are must play?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Entered the youth in a couple of Northern Junior Golf Tour events last year - really well run and they have some great courses on their calendar - he only did Hillside and Silloth last year but at the price they weren't much more expensive than entering a local junior open.

I'm hoping to get him on a few more this year - already got him on Silloth again, and Formby Ladies - and he's on the waitlist for Alwoodley, but there are a bunch of other courses that I'm just not particularly familiar with.
The tour tends to run across courses to the area north of where we are - we're close enough to thge M62 to use that as a 'boundary' up to the border with, or just into Scotland.

Logistically I can't get him to every event - but are there any in this list that folks would recommend as must visits?

Lundin
Clitheroe
Brancepeth Castle
The Northumberland GC
Cleveland
Barrow
Bishop Auckland - team event.
City of Newcastle
Malton and Norton
Chorley
Durham City.

Reckon I can afford the time to do maybe 2 or 3 in addition to the ones he's already entered.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brancepeth is excellent but probably not an easy trip for you. If you are happy to do it then I'd say it's worth it.

Cleveland is a good links course. @Hobbit can advise more.

Bishop Auckland is a solid Braid course but not as good as Brancepeth.

There will be others from the NE who have played all of the NE courses and so can probably compare.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Brancepeth is excellent but probably not an easy trip for you. If you are happy to do it then I'd say it's worth it.

Cleveland is a good links course. @Hobbit can advise more.

Bishop Auckland is a solid Braid course but not as good as Brancepeth.

There will be others from the NE who have played all of the NE courses and so can probably compare.

1 hour 44 to Brancepeth according to Google Maps - that's not too bad tbf. Silloth is a right trek for us as well, but worth the journey. (y)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Entered the youth in a couple of Northern Junior Golf Tour events last year - really well run and they have some great courses on their calendar - he only did Hillside and Silloth last year but at the price they weren't much more expensive than entering a local junior open.

I'm hoping to get him on a few more this year - already got him on Silloth again, and Formby Ladies - and he's on the waitlist for Alwoodley, but there are a bunch of other courses that I'm just not particularly familiar with.
The tour tends to run across courses to the area north of where we are - we're close enough to thge M62 to use that as a 'boundary' up to the border with, or just into Scotland.

Logistically I can't get him to every event - but are there any in this list that folks would recommend as must visits?

Lundin
Clitheroe
Brancepeth Castle
The Northumberland GC
Cleveland
Barrow
City of Newcastle
Malton and Norton
Chorley
Durham City.

Reckon I can afford the time to do maybe 2 or 3 in addition to the ones he's already entered.

What level is he playing at now?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Lundin
Clitheroe
Brancepeth Castle
The Northumberland GC
Cleveland
Barrow
City of Newcastle
Malton and Norton
Chorley
Durham City.

I will comment on the ones I have played.
Clitheroe Close to where you live. has been Open qualifying. highly recommended. Bit of water on Course.
Lundin Has been Open qualifying but is in Fife. Class course
Barrow. 7 miles from where I play. There has been improvement to the Greens but not worth a trip of around 200 miles. avoid.
Chorley. Good Course and worth a visit. Close to Motorway and easy accessible from W. Yorks.

NOT played but Cleveland is supposed to be very good

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lundin - I played it on a very windy day. A real battle but still very enjoyable.
Clitheroe - played it a number of times. Some great holes, and an easy walk.
Brancepeth Castle - didn’t blow me away. Well liked by many but it didn’t live up to the hype for me.
The Northumberland GC - not played it. EDIT: just seen LT’s post. I have played it. Almost very good but I just didn’t take to it.
Cleveland - I’m very biased. Love the place and the members. Excellent pro in Andy Brooks, who’s fantastic with the kids.
Barrow - not played it.
Bishop Auckland - team event. - played it many times, and always enjoyed it.
City of Newcastle - played it once… forgotten what it’s like.
Malton and Norton - very good set-up. Worth a visit.
Chorley - sadly, only played it when it’s been wet underfoot. Some good holes on it.
Durham City. - its anniversary coincides with Cleveland’s, and I’ve played it many times. Not bad.

If I was picking a top 3, 1st would be Cleveland(I’m biased) - always dry. Hardly a weak hole on it. Greens always excellent. 2nd Bishop Auckland. 3rd I’d share between Clitheroe, which I really like, and Brancespeth purely on its reputation, and I think I haven’t given it a fair crack.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not to take the topic off track, but what is the average handicap of the other kids playing in these opens/events?
Depends on the age groups - there's kids in there all the way up to 18, right back down to 7 or 8 year olds playing in the nine hole comps. In Jamie's age bracket - he's probably around the mean handicap.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lundin
Clitheroe
Brancepeth Castle - for me it's the best 'Club' Parkland course in the county
The Northumberland GC
Cleveland - an excellent links though not a patch on Seaton Carew...... sorry Brian :unsure:
Barrow
City of Newcastle
Malton and Norton - excellent Parkland course
Chorley
Durham City.

Have played these 3 several times & would have them as a 'must' as you asked.
Bp Auckland is my home town but have only played it once since leaving in '69 (posh man's game when I lived there). Lots of Par 3's so could be good fun in a team. Hope he gets a space at Allwoodley as it'll be a treat.
Good luck

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with City Of Newcastle, never played it but I've heard it's not a great course.
Cleveland is a good test and well worth a visit as is Brancepeth specially those two insanely good back to back par 3's.
Can't really comment on the others.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The two I've played are Lundin and Northumberland, personally I like links courses so prefer Lundin but Northumberland is a decent and enjoyable track when in nick. Can play long when it's soft.

Teebs

Visit site
Would recommend Malton and Norton but I would say that as a member.

Excellent greens, not too long off the whites and a fair test. Front 9 is slightly more open but back 9 is tighter and requires more strategy.