Which of these Northern courses are must play?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Lundin is a little more than “just in to Scotland”. It’s a good 2 hours from the border.
Greig’s right, about 40 mins north east of Edinburgh, although only 10 mins from me 😁. It’s a pretty easy run up though, motorway and dual carriageway most of the way, local road for the last 15 mins if you come off the A92 at Glenrothes.

It’s the only one on the list I’ve played. A good track and tough in the wind. Currently starting some course changes under the guidance of McKenzie and Ebert. It’s an enjoyable track worth a visit, but you may want to stay over somewhere and play somewhere else close by whilst you’re here. Huge selection to choose from locally including St Andrews.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only played clitheroe and it's excellent. I always say that it's a course that makes you play shots. Cut corners, play over water to reach greens, long par fours. Greens are superb. Oh and have the ability to draw the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not to take the topic off track, but what is the average handicap of the other kids playing in these opens/events?
These comps are about encouraging young golfers to play, play in comps, it isn't about teenage scratch golfers. They have to be decent but it isn't elite elite, although some could be of course. They are a great idea for getting them into competitive golf, without the intimidation of adult golfers pressuring them or making the odd sarky comment.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
These comps are about encouraging young golfers to play, play in comps, it isn't about teenage scratch golfers. They have to be decent but it isn't elite elite, although some could be of course. They are a great idea for getting them into competitive golf, without the intimidation of adult golfers pressuring them or making the odd sarky comment.

Did I suggest it was about teenage scratch golfers?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
He's 13 - plays the 18 hole events.
Definitely pick brancepeth then. Durham is worth playing too. Bishop has a great par 3 on it but I’d say that maybe stands out from the other holes. The pros like the Northumberland and I’ve not played it but he’ll probably love the fact it’s inside a racecourse.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Looks like Brancepeth might get the nod based on the feedback here. Both Malton and Clitheroe are relatively close as well - so might look at those two, and I'll keep my fingers crossed he gets a spot at Alwoodley.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If he gets in at Alwoodley, I'm sure he would fancy Ganton also.

I really wanted to have a crack at the Yorkshire Challenge this year - at £580 per pair - it's pretty good value to play the 3 Ryder Cup venues in the county. Alas, we are renovating a house at my request didn't get past the procurement department.... :ROFLMAO:

Maybe next year....

D

Deleted member 1147

Mate of mine used to play Clitheroe. He rated it very highly.
Former Open qualifier I believe.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like Brancepeth might get the nod based on the feedback here. Both Malton and Clitheroe are relatively close as well - so might look at those two, and I'll keep my fingers crossed he gets a spot at Alwoodley.
I know you can't go everywhere but it would be a shame to miss out on Cleveland..... why not go play an Open there..... always great value & you won't be disappointed, I promise. Just an hour & a quarter from Leeds & an easy drive any day of the week, any time of day. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I know you can't go everywhere but it would be a shame to miss out on Cleveland..... why not go play an Open there..... always great value & you won't be disappointed, I promise. Just an hour & a quarter from Leeds & an easy drive any day of the week, any time of day. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

That's actually not a bad shout - just had a look and they've got a few to choose from and as you say, not expensive at all. (y)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's actually not a bad shout - just had a look and they've got a few to choose from and as you say, not expensive at all. (y)
On a similar theme, I'm playing an open at Brancepeth for £19 this year. Plan B................
Yeah, in general the NE of Eng prices for Opens are outstanding value. Can be at least 25% less than their equivalent in Leeds area.

Links Lover

Visit site
Brancepeth Castle is good fun and has quite a few tee shots over drop-off ravines, great par 3's too!

Was disappointed with Northumberland actually. The clubhouse is great and the 18th must be one of the most dramatic finishing holes in the North East, but otherwise I just didn't get the hype. I'm not a massive fan of courses inside racetracks anyway so maybe that clouded my judgement.