Restaurant meals you have cooked at home.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Another east midlander and curry lover. A Pakistani friend shared his family recipe with me, which I've tweaked through laziness to use Patak pastes rather than faffing about with dry spices. Restaurant beating curries in under an hour.
Thai green curry is the easiest quick one. 10 minutes of prep and 15 minutes cooking for the freshest tasting curry I've ever eaten.

I'm very partial to this...

1624609398garam-masala-5011308001953-std-packshot-min.png

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If anyone is posting curry recipes, then I'll be reading with interest ...

As to cooking up 'restaurant dishes' then I don't usually try. There's nearly always something (usually a herb or spice) that either a) I haven’t got, or b) something that I could buy but only in quantities I'd never get round to using again. Solution - make a variation, or go to a restaurant for the real thing.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
When I went to Thailand I pretty much lived on chilli and basil chicken but whenever I've ordered it in the UK they've always tried to jazz it up and it just isn't the same.

I managed to find a recipe online and, providing I can get hold of the thai basil (which has more of an aniseedy taste), it really is superb and exactly like the one they make over there.

Gonna have to pop to the big tesco now and have a wander down the herb aisle.

what is the recipe haway share

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If anyone is posting curry recipes, then I'll be reading with interest ...

As to cooking up 'restaurant dishes' then I don't usually try. There's nearly always something (usually a herb or spice) that either a) I haven’t got, or b) something that I could buy but only in quantities I'd never get round to using again. Solution - make a variation, or go to a restaurant for the real thing.

Another forum i frequent had a 100 pages plus on this lads base gravy and his curry dishes nearly everyone of them said it was as good as the quality BIRs in the area

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
One important point to note. If a recipe calls for you to blitz an onion into a paste, be warned that when you cook it, the smell is 100x stronger than frying a sliced or diced onion. My house smelt for a good 4 days if not more.
Lovely curry though!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The various lockdowns here in Spain saw me learning to cook lots of different dishes - bearing in mind the first lockdown was 89 days, and who was allowed out for shopping etc was strictly policed I had to find something to do.

1) a number of different chilli con carne dishes.
2) various curries.
3) various Italian dishes.
4) a multitude of BBQ dishes/skewers.

My fav has got to be Mexican chilli dishes. I rarely have rice. There’s lots of different peppers and veg. You’d be amazed at what you can put in a chilli.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
what is the recipe haway share

I can't find the actual recipe now but I do it from memory now anyway. It's pretty simple:

Ingredients:

- packet of Thai/holy basil, strip the leaves from the stalks.
- A bulb of garlic
- between 6 and 10 chillies (I use bird's-eye or green finger) the amount depends on how spicy you want it. Bear in mind that you fry off a lot of the spiciness.
- chicken breast (minced preferably or very finely chopped)
- oyster sauce
- light soy sauce
- sweet soy sauce.
- rice (I tend to use the tilda lemongrass, coconut and chilli packets).
- sugar

Method:

- finely chop about three quarters of a bulb of garlic and the chillies (seeds and all) before grinding them in a pestle and mortar with a splash of oil to make a kind of rough paste.
- fry the resulting paste off in a wok or frying pan - watch your lungs on this bit as the fumes from the chillies is pretty harsh on them so make sure the door is open or extractor on! Don't let it get too brown, add a splash of water if required.
- add in the chicken and fry until cooked through.
- chuck in a good glug of the oyster sauce, and generous splashes of each of the soy sauces - this depends how dry you want it. In Thailand its a pretty dry dish but the missus likes it a little saucier 👀.
- add about half a tablespoon of white sugar. - this does actually make a big difference and removes some of the fishiness of the oyster sauce.
- prepare the rice - this may have to be done earlier in the process if making fresh.
- serve the rice.
- when the sauce is bubbling through and the rice is ready throw in the basil leaves and stir through for about 30 seconds. The shorter the better really is it keeps the leaves fresher and the flavour better.
- serve over/alongside the rice and enjoy!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once remember doing one of the classic dishes with fillet of beef - Beef Tournedos Rossini. The recipe called for truffles ( I did not know what that was at the time) when I found out what they were and the cost the assembled company got sliced mushrooms.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I like to cook. So most of the food we eat at home is cooked from scratch.

As much as I like to eat out, I regularly find myself begrudgingly paying a lot of money for food I can cook equally as well, if not better at home.

Proper restaurant curry is the one thing I don’t bother with at home.

I used to have the *** Chef book by Gordon Ramsey and have made a few of the dishes. I don’t have the time or the patience anymore for that level of cooking.

Many many years ago I was nearly a constant on Master Chef. But, the requirements for being on were (probably still are) stoopid.

Edited to add some recent pics, because a thread about food need pics.
This lot is stand fare at home.

IMG_5906.jpegIMG_5905.jpegIMG_5904.jpegIMG_5903.jpegIMG_5902.jpeg

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to cook. So most of the food we eat at home is cooked from scratch.

As much as I like to eat out, I regularly find myself begrudgingly paying a lot of money for food I can cook equally as well, if not better at home.

Proper restaurant curry is the one thing I don’t bother with at home.

I used to have the *** Chef book by Gordon Ramsey and have made a few of the dishes. I don’t have the time or the patience anymore for that level of cooking.

Many many years ago I was nearly a constant on Master Chef. But, the requirements for being on were (probably still are) stoopid.

Edited to add some recent pics, because a thread about food need pics.
This lot is stand fare at home.

View attachment 49166View attachment 49167View attachment 49168View attachment 49169View attachment 49170
For Curries, get the Curry guy book or the Curry Compendium by Misty Ricardo.
You make a base gravy and away you go depending on what type of curry you want.
An absolute game changer for me, never thought I could get close, but seriously good once you get it right.
I'm forever making Chicken Tikka as well :ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
For Curries, get the Curry guy book or the Curry Compendium by Misty Ricardo.
You make a base gravy and away you go depending on what type of curry you want.
An absolute game changer for me, never thought I could get close, but seriously good once you get it right.
I'm forever making Chicken Tikka as well :ROFLMAO:
I have both his books.

I just can’t be bothered with making curry for some reason.

I have done in the past with good success.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One for @Tashyboy

Saltimbocca alla Romana. Veal, butterflied, stuffed then folded back. I first had it 15yrs ago in Rome, and it’s my go-to for a main course when in Italy. I’ve tried to cook it several times but I can’t quite get the timing right… almost but not quite.

1692984630016.jpeg

YandaB

Visit site
One for @Tashyboy

Saltimbocca alla Romana. Veal, butterflied, stuffed then folded back. I first had it 15yrs ago in Rome, and it’s my go-to for a main course when in Italy. I’ve tried to cook it several times but I can’t quite get the timing right… almost but not quite.

View attachment 49181
Surely @Tashyboy would be going for a pair of Croques? ;)

Croques.png

Monsieur et Madame