Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

D

Deleted member 15344

The last census was 10 years ago......stop molly coddling them and just tell them they have to. They will find a way and the very odd one that can’t, you’ll look after......

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics

Was last year - no club is going to “force” it’s members to buy or use a smart phone

BTW.....you don’t!

Yes we do ? and yes I know they needed an email for WHS hence why they got someone to make one up for them that they will never use or used a friends. We still have a group that phone up each morning to book a tee time because they don’t have Internet at home . We prefer to cater for all our members

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Was last year - no club is going to “force” it’s members to buy or use a smart phone

Yes we do ? and yes I know they needed an email for WHS hence why they got someone to make one up for them that they will never use or used a friends. We still have a group that phone up each morning to book a tee time because they don’t have Internet at home . We prefer to cater for all our members

‘A’ group - is that the 1 bloke in the 1 4 ball that get the bloke without internet to book it as the other 3 just can’t be arsed?!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The day that I am compelled to take a smartphone on the course will be the day I stop taking a smartphone on the course - in protest. In my opinion, smartphones or similar devices must never become a requirement of competitive golf. They have their uses, in particular during pandemics, but compulsory use in golf, never.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A major problem for not having scorecards is this. On the IG app you see how the scoring is going, you can see who is winning, you can see how many points you need after 15,16 holes to win. You can play conservative Just to win. With a card and scores entered in the clubhouse you cannot.
During a round I specifically don’t want to see how scoring is going...and never look at leaderboard before I go out in a comp.

On the card/no card...I use a card to record the gross scores of all players in my group for cross-checking at the end of the round. I also use a card to record my score during the round to enter it on the system on finishing. And I only take my phone onto the course if I think my wife will need to contact me.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
The day that I am compelled to take a smartphone on the course will be the day I stop taking a smartphone on the course - in protest. In my opinion, smartphones or similar devices must never become a requirement of competitive golf. They have their uses, in particular during pandemics, but compulsory use in golf, never.

I'm sure there'll be a place for ye olde scorecard for a long time yet, mobile and physical scorecards can coexist quite happily. All I really got from this thread was that a few posters on here love to be confrontational and will go to ever more ridiculous legths to be so.
The stuff about power cuts, wifi, x thousands on devices, app dev, wet screens and the like were a real hoot ???

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else, other than me, has "practical issues" in using a phone for golf scoring?

First off, I'll say I like the idea - I'm not a Luddite and I'm a fan of technology and will use it whenever I can. And our swindle uses a great app for scoring, leaderboard etc. And I'll happily use the MyEG app for uploading WHS scores etc. I have a moderately decent Samsung phone. But out on the course ...

I need my reading glasses to see the screen
Glasses aside, the screen is really difficult to see in daylight. Forget it if its bright sunshine.
I have to unlock it every time I want to enter something
Don't like the phone in my pocket so have to ferret about in the bag every time - and want it in a deep (ish) bag pocket so it doesn't drop/bounce out.
Even in London the signal is variable
Etc

Now I know these are all minor things in their own right, and there are individual solutions to each (except screen brightness is a real bugbear) but all together they just amount to "sod it, I'll use a card and do the electronic bit later..." And for that, the PSI has nice big buttons & numbers. So I use a card and not the phone. I bet I'm not the only one?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else, other than me, has "practical issues" in using a phone for golf scoring?

First off, I'll say I like the idea - I'm not a Ludfite and I'm a fan of technology and will use it whenever I can. And our swindle uses a great app for scoring, leaderboard etc. And I'll happily use the MyEG app for uploading WHS scores etc. I have a moderately decent Samsung phone. But out on the course ...

I need my reading glasses to see the screen
Glasses aside, the screen is really difficult to see in daylight. Forget it if its bright sunshine.
I have to unlock it every time I want to enter something
Don't like the phone in my pocket so have to ferret about in the bag every time - and want it in a deep (ish) bag pocket so it doesn't drop/bounce out.
Even in London the signal is variable
Etc

Now I know these are all minor things in their own right, and there are individual solutions to each (except screen brightness is a real bugbear) but all together they just amount to "sod it, I'll use a card and do the electronic bit later..." And for that, the PSI has nice big buttons & numbers. So I use a card and not the phone. I bet I'm not the only one?

I still use a scorecard on course to record my scores and assume I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And since Covid, I just punch my scores into the app on my phone after the round then head home.

Perfectly happy with that arrangement and have no wish to change to using my phone for score recording on course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still use a scorecard on course to record my scores and assume I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And since Covid, I just punch my scores into the app on my phone after the round then head home.

Perfectly happy with that arrangement and have no wish to change to using my phone for score recording on course.
And of course you don't have to use the club's preprinted card, you can use whatever suits you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think this is a very simple and easy solution, and the most likely going forward. I leave my phone in the car when I play and can see that getting it out of the bag each time, unlocking, enter score, lock, put back etc is a bit of a faff. Simple paper and pencil works well, as Rulefan mentions, any bit of paper. Entering via your phone afterwards, sat in the comfort of the bar sounds much nicer than occasionally having to stand in a queue for the terminal (although it isn't that onerous 9 times out of 10). For those that object now, I understand some of the reasoning, it will become as standard as BRS is now and people will look back and smile at the objections in years to come.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this is a very simple and easy solution, and the most likely going forward. I leave my phone in the car when I play and can see that getting it out of the bag each time, unlocking, enter score, lock, put back etc is a bit of a faff. Simple paper and pencil works well, as Rulefan mentions, any bit of paper. Entering via your phone afterwards, sat in the comfort of the bar sounds much nicer than occasionally having to stand in a queue for the terminal (although it isn't that onerous 9 times out of 10). For those that object now, I understand some of the reasoning, it will become as standard as BRS is now and people will look back and smile at the objections in years to come.
Totally agree.
But I do take my phone )on silent for emergency use.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree.
But I do take my phone )on silent for emergency use.
I used to take it in my bag, not use it but have it there just in case. I stopped not long after downloading the NHS app as I heard of a few golfers getting caught out by bags being within 2m of each other and so getting pinged to isolate when in person that was not the case. Those stories may have been urban myths but it sounded plausible. It would have been a rubbish way to have to stay home for however long it is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to take it in my bag, not use it but have it there just in case. I stopped not long after downloading the NHS app as I heard of a few golfers getting caught out by bags being within 2m of each other and so getting pinged to isolate when in person that was not the case. Those stories may have been urban myths but it sounded plausible. It would have been a rubbish way to have to stay home for however long it is.
One more unintended consequence of tech.

sunshine

Visit site
A major problem for not having scorecards is this. On the IG app you see how the scoring is going, you can see who is winning, you can see how many points you need after 15,16 holes to win. You can play conservative Just to win. With a card and scores entered in the clubhouse you cannot.

Why is this a major problem?

If you are winning a football match 2-0 with 5 minutes to go, you can play conservative to see out time to win. In pretty much every sport you know what the score is. In professional golf there are scoreboards all over the course. In match play you know the score. I cannot fathom why knowing the score is a problem.

sunshine

Visit site
Maybe read what is being posted - we have members that “don’t have a smart phone” - we have members that don’t even have a mobile at all , some that don’t have internet and a good number that don’t have emails etc.

believe the last census was 30% of over 55 year olds don’t have a smart phone - average age of many golf clubs is over 55

https://www.statista.com/statistics/956297/ownership-of-smartphones-uk/

Census last year

Last year we had about 50% of people entering via the IG app and the trend has continued this year

The link you shared (thanks) shows 84% of UK adults use a smartphone. That's a pretty high number, but given the aging demographic of most golf clubs it's perhaps premature to make electronic scorecards mandatory.

These members that don't have a mobile or email at all are just trying to be awkward. They probably have no problem using tech like electric trolleys and GPS when it suits them.

I think a pencil and card will be around for a long time to come. But dropping a card in a box and expecting somebody else to upload your score for competition / handicap purposes seems a bit outdated today.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The link you shared (thanks) shows 84% of UK adults use a smartphone. That's a pretty high number, but given the aging demographic of most golf clubs it's perhaps premature to make electronic scorecards mandatory.

These members that don't have a mobile or email at all are just trying to be awkward. They probably have no problem using tech like electric trolleys and GPS when it suits them.

I think a pencil and card will be around for a long time to come. But dropping a card in a box and expecting somebody else to upload your score for competition / handicap purposes seems a bit outdated today.
So somebody who has never owned a mobile phone in their life is just trying to be awkward.??
What a really poor statement.

D

Deleted member 15344

That link also shows how many over the age of 55 don’t use a smart phone - the average age of the club golfer is over 55 - it’s easy to do the maths

We have multiple members who just don’t own mobile phones and some don’t have smart phones

They have never had a GPS in their life and an electric trolley that’s about 10 years old isn’t that high tech.

They are just a different generation whose life didn’t revolve around mobile phones etc - as I said earlier I know at least three who don’t even have the internet at home - just a plain old landline

They aren’t “trying to be awkward” - they just don’t want a life full of electronic gadgets - and the need for one shouldn’t ever rule a golf club