Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not familiar with IG app. The ClubV1/HDID app can be disabled for real time scores.

On IG it’s easily turned off

Interesting who the person is that bumped the thread - wonder which other poster he was beforehand

Most of the posts from 2 years ago all had the same theme - at some stage the use of electronic scoring will be in but needs developing - there are still bugs and issues right now with the Apps but still a good step forward.

We though have a number of members who don’t have a smart phone or the App and have a number who won’t use either

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
When entering scores on the My EG app (for social rounds) they specifically say do not enter a score at your club (to avoid duplicate scores), so I guess the need for a scorecard has already been removed for that purpose.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have seen one app (GolfGenius?) which allows one player in a group to enter the scores for all in the group. I guess others do also.

That doesn’t help when it comes to Qualfiying comps

It was the biggest issue we faced last year and this year so far - people who don’t have smart phones or the app to use the IG app

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m hoping that we can move forward to getting rid of the need for physical cards,
If you get your card wet in the rain ( like today) you just get a new card.
But we can’t buy a new phone every time we drop it in a puddle.
With the virus I can see there is a problem with cards.
But lots of golfers don’t own a phone or internet connection.
Change is happening but this tech is not foolproof judging by some of the zooms I have been on.
We need a mix of both imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Interesting who the person is that bumped the thread - wonder which other poster he was beforehand

Most of the posts from 2 years ago all had the same theme - at some stage the use of electronic scoring will be in but needs developing - there are still bugs and issues right now with the Apps but still a good step forward.

We though have a number of members who don’t have a smart phone or the App and have a number who won’t use either
Yes so do we and not all old fossils.
We have a few younger lads who leave their phones at home.
“ it rules my life and I come here to get away from it” said one.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've (in Scotland) been using the Scottish Golf app for all our comps this year up until Saturday as that was the first time our pro shop had been open for a comp due to Covid restrictions. On Saturday we had three options:
1. Score through the app as normal;
2. One player keep scores for the whole group through the app, with the other two signing in for the comp on an iPad in the pro shop before the round and verifying their score on the same iPad afterwards;
3. The whole group sign on the iPad before the round, keep their scores on a card "the old way", and then enter and verify their scores on the iPad afterwards.
It seemed to work very well and as far as I can see all bases are covered.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

Is it interesting, Why do you think I'm a previous poster?
I thought the topic of app based scorecards would be quite popular and I was sure it must have come up before, did a quick search of the forum and this thread turned up.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you get your card wet in the rain ( like today) you just get a new card.
But we can’t buy a new phone every time we drop it in a puddle.
With the virus I can see there is a problem with cards.
But lots of golfers don’t own a phone or internet connection.
Change is happening but this tech is not foolproof judging by some of the zooms I have been on.
We need a mix of both imo.

That must be a vanishingly small number of people. Someone in another thread said they estimated around 5% of their membership didn't have access to email. So thats 10s of people per club. Some of which may not even bother handing a card in anyway.

If they really want to write their scores down there is nothing to stop them doing so on a note pad of their own and entering their score on the console in the club.

Most smart phones are now waterproof. Even older ones can withstand getting a bit wet in the rain. If it's that wet a phone is likely to become damaged, you won't be out playing golf!

Getting rid of physical cards would reduce a vast amount of unnecessary waste. Charge £1 for each card and you would soon see people change their mind about considering an alternative method.

D

Deleted member 15344

This makes no sense.....

How can you enter your score into an app when you don’t have a smart phone ?

The IG app only allows you to enter your phone an scorecard not anyone else’s

So how can their score be entered into the competition using the Golfgenuis app that was mentioned

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That must be a vanishingly small number of people. Someone in another thread said they estimated around 5% of their membership didn't have access to email. So thats 10s of people per club. Some of which may not even bother handing a card in anyway.

If they really want to write their scores down there is nothing to stop them doing so on a note pad of their own and entering their score on the console in the club.

Most smart phones are now waterproof. Even older ones can withstand getting a bit wet in the rain. If it's that wet a phone is likely to become damaged, you won't be out playing golf!

Getting rid of physical cards would reduce a vast amount of unnecessary waste. Charge £1 for each card and you would soon see people change their mind about considering an alternative method.
Yes am just playing devils advocate.
But scoring on a phone in the rain with reading glasses is no easy feat.
Wouldn’t mind a 5% pay rise depends how you look at it!
5% is still a lot of players.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can you enter your score into an app when you don’t have a smart phone ?

The IG app only allows you to enter your phone an scorecard not anyone else’s

So how can their score be entered into the competition using the Golfgenuis app that was mentioned

If they get a 4 then you press 4!!! Most people in the UK have smart phones, just tell them they need to use it!

D

Deleted member 15344

If they get a 4 then you press 4!!! Most people in the UK have smart phones, just tell them they need to use it!

Maybe read what is being posted - we have members that “don’t have a smart phone” - we have members that don’t even have a mobile at all , some that don’t have internet and a good number that don’t have emails etc.

believe the last census was 30% of over 55 year olds don’t have a smart phone - average age of many golf clubs is over 55

https://www.statista.com/statistics/956297/ownership-of-smartphones-uk/

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics

Census last year

Last year we had about 50% of people entering via the IG app and the trend has continued this year

Last edited by a moderator:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe read what is being posted - we have members that “don’t have a smart phone” - we have members that don’t even have a mobile at all , some that don’t have internet and a good number that don’t have emails etc.

believe the last census was 30% of over 55 year olds don’t have a smart phone - average age of many golf clubs is over 55

Last year we had about 50% of people entering via the IG app and the trend has continued this year

The last census was 10 years ago......stop molly coddling them and just tell them they have to. They will find a way and the very odd one that can’t, you’ll look after......