Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

brfcfan

Visit site
I am the comp sec at our club and after each comp I count the returned cards see if they are signed etc etc.

I think that this could be done electronically, with electronic signatures, saving the need for players to input their score on the main terminal and comp secs the time in counting cards and time in finding out who hasn't returned a card.

Would this method be allowed under the current CONGU rules, and if so has any clubs used this method or thinking about it?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
How would you mark your partner's card on the course and countersign it afterwards? What about knowing stroke indexes, local rules and SSS etc which are all on your card?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Players would have to carry some sort of electronic device to record scores on? Much more to go wrong IMHO.

User20204

Visit site
It's my understanding that next season our scores are to be returned via a phone app which allows you to sign, whether the cards will still be present or not I don't know but this is unquestionably the future, I suspect the scorecard will still be available for those who don't have such a device to take app i.e. old coffin dodgers.

D

Deleted member 15344

How would you mark your partner's card on the course and countersign it afterwards? What about knowing stroke indexes, local rules and SSS etc which are all on your card?

Well SI etc can all be on an electronic card which isn’t the reason why it won’t happen

Counter signing can be overcome

But you need every single person to have the device or phone on the course with you

You need to be in an area that has good enough signal

Battery life

It could easily crash etc etc

It’s not going to be done for a very long time

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Why? What's wrong with paper and pencil? I'm not a Luddite. I work as a software developer and I'm quite tech savvy, but why does everything need to be done with a complex electronic solution nowadays? What's to be gained from an electronic scorecard? Is it easier? Quicker? More failsafe? I seriously doubt it. Maybe it would save the person who has to enter the scores after the round a little bit of time, but during the round it would cause quite a bit of extra hassle. Not to mention the costs. The devices would need to be very sturdy and designed in a way that every idiot can use them.

User20204

Visit site

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't see a major issue with it. It would be very simple technology via a smartphone app. Also potential for a 'live leaderboard' when you are on the course.

No doubt you'd need to have a number of 'devices' for people without a phone or who don't want to use their phone.

However, as a bare minimum you should be able to enter your score via an app, rather than on the terminal and still put your scorecard in as usual.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tbf they are all very minor technicalities which are easily overcome.
They aren’t though are they , there are plenty of people without smart phones , I know people I play golf with don’t even have a mobile phone and won’t get one let alone a smart phone with the capability

Some need to remember the average age of people that play golf and realise that for a good number they aren’t technologically savvy - I see enough people struggle with a PSi

And that’s not without even looking at cost implications

A bit of paper and pencil works just fine for every single golfer who plays
Why every single person ?

Huh ? Mobile phones last a whole day.

Indeed but how often does your phone crash in a 4 hour period ?

I believe this app will be more for score returning rather than live scoring but that can also be done is required.

You don’t have two different systems running side by side - someone suggested it to make life easier to close the Comp and check cards etc - by having a mix just makes it awkward
And I have been and played plenty of courses where signal is poor

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You also have the issue of people using phones for inputting scores and, just as someone is teeing off, a call comes in and distracts..
Easy solution..put it in Airplane mode.
Yeah right..everyone is going to remember to do that.
Plus clubs would have to amend their etiquette rules and we know how difficult that is....

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You need to be in an area that has good enough signal

You wouldn't need this. As long as you had signal or wifi at the club an app could still work offline and upload the info when it was in range. Granted this would take away the live scoring feature.

But from an environmental point of view, it would save an awful lot of bits of card getting printed. Just think a few hundred every saturday / sunday at every club in the land a good few dozen per day through the week. Probably well over 1 million cards a week getting printed / used / binned in the UK alone.

User20204

Visit site
You don’t have two different systems running side by side - someone suggested it to make life easier to close the Comp and check cards etc - by having a mix just makes it awkward
And I have been and played plenty of courses where signal is poor

Agree having two systems side by side but I suspect someone will still have to manually check cards that are returned, no one is disputing signals aren't always the best but you raised a point about battery life.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see any technical issues preventing its implementation but I also don't see any benefits, except environmental perhaps i.e. less trees giving up their lives to become scorecards.

As someone who helps with the cards at my golf club, many golfers have enough trouble filling in a scorecard with a pencil and inputting that into a PSI terminal, I don't see using a phone app being any better, could potentially cause more issues instead of trying to solve ones that don't exist in my opinion.

User20204

Visit site
You also have the issue of people using phones for inputting scores and, just as someone is teeing off, a call comes in and distracts..
Easy solution..put it in Airplane mode.
Yeah right..everyone is going to remember to do that.
Plus clubs would have to amend their etiquette rules and we know how difficult that is....

Surely everyone already puts their phones on silent when playing anyway.