Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely everyone already puts their phones on silent when playing anyway.
Ha ha ha ha:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But how is that any different to the current situation? Pretty much everyone has a phone anyway
Does everyone take them out on the course..? And of those that do are they only there for emergency use..?
I can see, on the next tee, all 4 players get their phones out to input their score...someone will check their messages - guaranteed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played at courses that have electronic scorecards in the buggies. At the end of the round you can email the scorecard to yourself. If you can do that then surely it could be uploaded to the club system? It saves time for the handicap sec, paper and cost of printing for the clubs. Any amendments to club rules are done instantly, no need to wait for the next print run.

It will start to happen soon, apps are used for all sorts now. It just needs the likes of Club V1 to produce one and then away we all go.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I bet it could be easily sold to some people if the app also measures pace of play when in live scoring mode ;-)

One 4ball has submitted hole 8, the following one submits hole 5 or 6 and they get a ‘push notification’.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
agree, it will certainly happen - and it just takes one handicap system developer to take the leap.

I know Intelligent Golf have a score tracking feature already...but it's not necessarily used for competitions. It's a piece of cake to log scores electronically - we have used it on weekends away, with technophobes and non-golfers logging scores - no problem. They find it easier than marking a scorecard!

I wonder if the UHS will help prompt it. Start by logging the 'supplementary' cards electronically, so instant results and updates can be seen....then bring it in to competition.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is anticipated in the WHS implementation that players will be able to enter scores from anywhere but the Rules of Golf still require a physical card. There don't seem to be any plans to change that at present.

Anyway, where would the local rules be printed?

D

Deleted member 15344

Apps from IG and CS are already there - but you still need to go to a PSI terminal to accept the score and you still need a score card signed by a marker which is of course rules of golf etc.

People think it’s easy to introduce new technologies- far from it and that’s coming from experience of someone who has introduced a new system and also including a scoring app - guess how many use the scoring app - a number between 1 and -1 - because the good old paper and pencils works just as well. Bringing in a scoring app doesn’t improve anyone experience.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It is anticipated in the WHS implementation that players will be able to enter scores from anywhere but the Rules of Golf still require a physical card. There don't seem to be any plans to change that at present.

Anyway, where would the local rules be printed?
In a subsection of the App plus a link to the rules...
I'm sure it will happen sooner or later but there are a lot of obstacles to overcome - including the R&A requiring a card.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our PSI computer frequently does not work e.g on Saturday anybody who started after 10.30 could not input their scores.

The reason it sometimes fails is because of the computer 'illiterate' people who start pressing the wrong buttons how are you going to get these type of players to use another method.

We reckon 5% of our members do not have a computer let alone a smart phone so what will these do.

What happens when someone has forgotten to charge their phone?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see people trying to log into phones, type a score in etc really improving the pace of play - NOT. I personally don't take my phone onto the course and it stays in my locker (unless at an away club) and anyone I know who would need to contact me when I am playing all know to call the club who would send a buggy out in an emergency. My choice as I have a habit of always logging into it waiting between holes for footie scores, news etc which clearly isn't good for concentration. No phone = no distraction

I am more than happy to remain old school with card and pencil for as long as possible. We had the Vpar system on captains day a few years back where everyone was suppose to use their phone and log their score on each hole and it would show a live leaderboard. What a time consuming pain that was and if that's the future then I'm happy to not be part of it

User20204

Visit site
We reckon 5% of our members do not have a computer let alone a smart phone so what will these do.

What happens when someone has forgotten to charge their phone?

My understanding is there will still be a terminal for those dinosaurs who are still alive once this app comes live.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can see people trying to log into phones, type a score in etc really improving the pace of play - NOT. I personally don't take my phone onto the course and it stays in my locker (unless at an away club) and anyone I know who would need to contact me when I am playing all know to call the club who would send a buggy out in an emergency. My choice as I have a habit of always logging into it waiting between holes for footie scores, news etc which clearly isn't good for concentration. No phone = no distraction

I am more than happy to remain old school with card and pencil for as long as possible. We had the Vpar system on captains day a few years back where everyone was suppose to use their phone and log their score on each hole and it would show a live leaderboard. What a time consuming pain that was and if that's the future then I'm happy to not be part of it

It’s not time consuming at all!

When I add my scores to my gps app I do it when walking from the green to the next tee so it doesn’t add any more time to my round of golf.

However there are some muppets who can’t do 2 things at once.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's my understanding that next season our scores are to be returned via a phone app which allows you to sign, whether the cards will still be present or not I don't know but this is unquestionably the future, I suspect the scorecard will still be available for those who don't have such a device to take app i.e. old coffin dodgers.

I strongly object to being referred to as an old coffin dodger.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s not time consuming at all!

When I add my scores to my gps app I do it when walking from the green to the next tee so it doesn’t add any more time to my round of golf.

However there are some muppets who can’t do 2 things at once.
I disagree if the Vpar experiment is anything to go by. That was meant to simply put a score into an app and seemed to take time, especially as the app itself wasn't the most responsive/intuitive. Some will want to keep phones in their bag rather than pockets for comfort/safe guarding and so they then have to go to the bag, get the phone out, enter score, put the phone away. As there are already idiots at most clubs that will always leave a bag in a bad position by a green, I think there will then be others trying to do all this keying in by the green as well and it causing problems. Just my point of view of course.

I do think it is inevitable in the next decade that digitalisation will come into effect and electronic cards become more of a norm but until a system/app is produced that is quick, efficient and reliable I'll stick to the card and pencil

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I disagree if the Vpar experiment is anything to go by. That was meant to simply put a score into an app and seemed to take time, especially as the app itself wasn't the most responsive/intuitive. Some will want to keep phones in their bag rather than pockets for comfort/safe guarding and so they then have to go to the bag, get the phone out, enter score, put the phone away. As there are already idiots at most clubs that will always leave a bag in a bad position by a green, I think there will then be others trying to do all this keying in by the green as well and it causing problems. Just my point of view of course.

I do think it is inevitable in the next decade that digitalisation will come into effect and electronic cards become more of a norm but until a system/app is produced that is quick, efficient and reliable I'll stick to the card and pencil

No doubt there are people who leave their scorecard in their bags.
Is keying in your score by the green any worse than writing your score down by the green?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
IT ain't broke, why fix it.

I have two pals who have differant electronic devices. One a watch. He hasn't a bloody clue how to put the scores in. Whinging all the time, wrong hole, wrong score put in on right hole. It's purgatory listening to him. Other PP has a hand held device. Watching him put in pin position then drop the ball 30 yards short, long, left or right. Talk about slow play.
Then you want them to put it on an app, ie take out phone enter score, put phone away whilst walking to next hole. Ain't gonna happen. What's gonna happen is, get to next hole, phone out , open phone, open app,enter score, oh ave a txt, FB, missed call. Continue to read messages, return call. Then get score card out enter score manually. Then stand on tee looking at pin position entering pin position on sat nav. Look at wind direction up a club, down a club and your playing in a fourball. All this done by the very people that say " Tash, put the scores in the computer in the 19th, coz ave not got me glasses on".
Me pencil and paper all day.

DCB

Visit site
Terrible idea, almost as bad as using metal for woods, hollow head irons, and graphite shafts. :eek:

And what about all those people who've just invested in a nice scorecard holder?

Even worse, imagine having spent all that money on a full custom fit for that new scorecard holder. You'll not be a happy bunny hearing this news ;)