Why can't you do it then?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
because i was a single digit handicapper at my old parkland club and i'm looking to get better, but burnham is a tough cookie

What happened when you moved clubs? I assume your handicap moved with you. Was it a slow, painful and inexorable upwards move? Please be assured I'm not having a go, I am genuinely interested in what happens when you move to a course which is much more difficult than your previous course. It's a thorny question which impacts on the SSS system.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
there was a gap of at least 5 years between clubs, in which time i was a social golfer non member,
the secretary started me off at 16 at Burnham i have made some progress, but not i'm not where i want or or hoped to be after 1 1/2 years of membership.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
there was a gap of at least 5 years between clubs, in which time i was a social golfer non member,
the secretary started me off at 16 at Burnham i have made some progress, but not i'm not where i want or or hoped to be after 1 1/2 years of membership.

Well progress is progress. Enjoy your game with Gary (Region3) if it comes off, you'll enjoy his company - I'd love to be there.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not really sure where I stand on this one.

I can understand low handciappers not taking advice from hackers, but at the same time I would quite happily listen to a Stephen Hawking lecture on astronomy/physics even though the guy cant set up a telescope!

What I cant abide is the way some people 'give' advice. It grinds my gears when I hear/read experts rubbishing years, and in some cases decades of sound practice just because its not their chosen way.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a bit like someone asking a mate down the pub who knows a bit about cars why his car may be losing oil. The mate may ask if there is an oil puddle under the car, if not he may ask if the car is pushing blue smoke out the exhaust, if it is he may suggest the piston rings may be worn

That's rubbish........it's obviously the head gasket!! :whistle:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happened when you moved clubs? I assume your handicap moved with you. Was it a slow, painful and inexorable upwards move? Please be assured I'm not having a go, I am genuinely interested in what happens when you move to a course which is much more difficult than your previous course. It's a thorny question which impacts on the SSS system.

It happened to me when I moved clubs before emigrating. Went from being a very comfortable 7 to an endless succession of .1's. Very soul destroying.Ended up on 9.3

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
because i was a single digit handicapper at my old parkland club and i'm looking to get better, but burnham is a tough cookie

funnily enough I was looking to head over to Burnham for the Senior's Open on the 15th July, but it went 'entries closed' almost instantly! Is this a case of all the locals entering, every year? Shame.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
funnily enough I was looking to head over to Burnham for the Senior's Open on the 15th July, but it went 'entries closed' almost instantly! Is this a case of all the locals entering, every year? Shame.

i don't know for sure but would have thought so, i'd guess at least 80% of the members of burnham are seniors

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just turn up on the day you'll most likely get a game . It's a seniors remember , theres always one of us popping our socks and a couple going to the funeral, there will be some no shows. always look on the bright side.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just turn up on the day you'll most likely get a game . It's a seniors remember , theres always one of us popping our socks and a couple going to the funeral, there will be some no shows. always look on the bright side.

a little far for me to travel on such a basis - just need to enter earlier next year!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a simple question and it was in the present tense.
That it was .. and a question i bet alot of people wanted to ask but didnt .. myself included (well i asked in a roundabout way)
Its a straight up question , its not saying people shouldnt give advice etc

How anyone can offer advice without seeing a swing is beyond me, especially when the person asking for it probably isn't describing the fault correctly due to a lack of knowledge.

:

scratch where as i agree with most stuff you post even this to an extent , when people post and ask for advice on here , they are aware its just opinion & advice as the poster sees it , they are aware its not professional advice so i wouldnt read that much into it .

So long a people are trying to be constructive & helpful & so long as the person asking realises most on here are NOT qualified (except Bob) there cant be any real harm in it , can there ?

When the GM boys posted their swings for evaluation or rating , do ya think they planned swing changes depending on the replys ?
Id say not ha ..

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
yep you think so wouldn't you i think the course i play has an sss 73 par 71

if you played it, i guarantee you could not play within 2 shorts of your handicap or even close to that... (if anybody wants to take me up on that bet.........)

my pb is a 73 gross at my old parkland club ,
i haven't got close to breaking 80 at Burnham and Berrow, been a member for 1 1/2 years now

i was called through by some green fee'ers last weekend were playing off the back tee, hacking away made me laugh, thought they were getting the most out of the course where in reality they were making incredibly difficult, taking the enjoyment out of it

anyway Just One is right no excuse for being cr@p lol

I am having the same experience. Down to 9.0 at my old club and I was playing lower regularly in social rounds. Joined another club and I have only broke 80 twice. I am sure I am a better golfer than I was 2 years ago but the slightest mistake at my new course costs me 2-3 shots per hole.