Why do YOU play golf?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It is fairly obvious that this forum has a diverse range of ages, political opinions, nationalities, abilities and so on!

Despite our differences, we all have one thing in common. Our love for the game of golf.

But what is it YOU love about the game?

Why do you play golf?

Please appreciate that others have a different view and be respectful of their reasons for playing.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The challenge of trying to achieve the best score possible.

The appreciation of being outside, enjoying the countryside, soaking up the beauty of what nature has to offer....from birds of prey circling in the skies, down to beetles in the earth.

D

Deleted member 31467

The challenge of playing well and 4 hours of good banter.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ask myself the same thing every week ‘why do you play golf, you idiot’.

The challenge, trying to beat 84, trying to beat my pal, place in a comp.

To hit that perfect shot that a pro would be proud of. We all have it in us to hit them, might only be 1 per round, but it’s there and they bring us back to try every week.

Being outside in the fresh air, bit of exercise, chat, not thinking about the stresses of life, pint afterwards, lovely.

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
12 months of the year, truly diverse because of the handicap system, outdoor, social, challenge and I’m still improving at 68 but I just don’t hit it as far as I used to, so I’m still ambitious for my game. I also love the conservation element of what we do, providing a safe and secure environment for so much wild life.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Great question.

I started very young and I can not contemplate not playing golf. It is what I do.
Why do I breathe and eat?

Crap answer from me, but an honest one.

RichA

Visit site
I've always loved playing sport. Pushing 50, I quit cricket and football 3 years ago and went back to golf, which I'd never taken seriously and had quit 10 years earlier.
3 years on and golf is life. I love the friendly competition, being outside, walking miles in all weather, the skill challenge.
Surprising to me is that I really love the company. I'm very self-contained but now have a small group of very close friends who I can't imagine not seeing every week, none of who knew each other 3 years ago.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It seemed a natural move after playing football, then tennis, as its still competitive but without the aggression of the other games, especially as I got older. It is without doubt the hardest game I've played but, like last week, I can still compete and win a Club competition even at 70 when the game all comes together and I can play under my handicap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great question.

I started very young and I can not contemplate not playing golf. It is what I do.
Why do I breathe and eat?

Crap answer from me, but an honest one.
I was maybe 11 and my Aunt Chris suggested to Uncle Les that he take me down to Ainsdale Beach (we were visiting them on holiday) to hit balls about the beach - he played a bit at Southport & Ainsdale. I enjoyed it and so we went to the Southport pitch and putt a couple of times. I got home I started trying to hit a ball about the playing fields next to our house, my dad had a very old mixed bag of hickory and brown painted steel shaft clubs.

I did that on and off for maybe a year or so without going anywhere near a golf course, then one Saturday I phoned my pal Alan to see what he was up to, to be told by his mum that he had gone with Crawford (a pal of ours who lived next door to him) to Deaconsbank municipal to play. Hmm…thought I, don’t like being left out so best see if I can join in. And the next Saturday they went there were three of us down Deaconsbank municipal, and me and Alan, especially, just kept going, as Crawford had joined Eastwood.

And for the rest of Why, see @Voyager EMH above…👍. Having now played for over 50yrs golf is simply a very important part of who I am, never mind ‘what I do’.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The challenge, to myself, the exercise, the fun of a few hours away from everything with like minded people (well like minded in enjoying the same sport 😉)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Because it's me against the course. I can't rely on/blame others for a bad game, if I play rubbish, I'm not going to win.
And as a kid growing up, it was something I could do on my own (most other kids played football which I hated) and I was out in the fresh air among the grass and trees.
And as it turned out, I was quite good at it (2 hcp at 16 in 1975)
And the biggy........I loved practicing.
If you don't like practicing, you won't practice, you wont get better.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm naturally competitive and it gives me a hobby where I'm always challenged, against myself, others and the course. I was coming to the end of my cricket, due to injury and the fitness to carry on playing to the level I was, golf gave me something to move to that wasn't too taxing😂

HPIMG

Visit site
I have only been playing golf 2.5 years and I’m quite a competitive person and determined to get to scratch. Might never get there but that’s was is driving me to play a lot of golf and keep trying to improve. Also love how you are constantly trying to beat yourself with golf.