Why do YOU play golf?

sunshine

Visit site
It is fairly obvious that this forum has a diverse range of ages, political opinions, nationalities, abilities and so on!

Despite our differences, we all have one thing in common. Our love for the game of golf.

But what is it YOU love about the game?

The opportunity to spend time with like minded people 🤣
Making really important decisions on things like the dress code, and then enforcing them like a zealot.
Telling the green keepers how to do their job, they would be lost without me.
Buying new stuff all the time, especially when it’s “fitted”.
The satisfaction of holding up the whole course while the captain and I putt out for a nine.
Parking my big car in my reserved spot, and leaving it at an angle so nobody can park in the space next to me.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Number of reasons:

I'm very competitive, whether that's against myself, someone else or just the course, I love the fight and pushing myself to be better every time.

I love the fact I can play with so many different people and we can all play together, whether that's friends, members, my Dad, my grandad, my kids. You can't get that in any other sport.

Being outside, in the fresh air, especially when the weather is great.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the challenges it gives.

Getting mates to reply to emails to tell if they are playing or not.
Checking if I still have fast fingers booking a tee time when it goes active.
Trying to persuade some they are really slow and need to speed up.
Working out who do not put money in the kitty.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played hockey and cricket , back and knees started to hurt , started to play golf and enjoy it.

And now i play because it’s a very enjoyable way to spend half a day

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
initially, it seemed like a good way to fill my days when I retired, now it is the constant challenge, playing different courses, and trying to keep my index in single figures.
And of course because it is a fantastic sport like no other

D

Deleted member 31467

9,6,4,6,6,6,7,4,9,9,8,6,8,4,9,7,6,7 = 121 Nett 93

1st medal of the year, bet this guy wished he hadn't played golf today :oops:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
9,6,4,6,6,6,7,4,9,9,8,6,8,4,9,7,6,7 = 121 Nett 93

1st medal of the year, bet this guy wished he hadn't played golf today :oops:
18 holes with all scores in single figures ! A new personal best ! 🤜🤛A goal of the season achieved already ! Really feels like breaking 120 is within his grasp now ! Warm feeling of satisfaction, he loves this game, and CANT WAIT, for next weekend !

D

Deleted member 31467

18 holes with all scores in single figures ! A new personal best ! A goal of the season achieved already ! Really feels like breaking 120 is within his grasp now ! Warm feeling of satisfaction, he loves this game, and CANT WAIT, for next weekend !
Even better when rounded down to nett double bogey 😁

Albo

Visit site
Health, mental health, space, fun, sadism, addiction.

I love golf I just love hitting a ball it’s an obsession

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s the only time my brain completely switches off and focuses on one thing. I can have a conversation with my mates when needed or walk my own line and just enjoy the quiet and listen to the sounds of nature.

I’m completely obsessed with the challenge and with the process of the swing. Sometimes the game can frustrate the hell out of me but understanding the stats around the game allows me to accept a lot of it.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably like many others, I began playing when I was too old or not fit enough to play football and other sports competitively.

It soon grabs you though and it only takes one shot a round to keep you hooked. The fact you can compete with different levels of golfer is great too. But the primary challenge of playing against the course is what keeps me interested. A group of us started together years ago and still play together, so it’s great on the social side too.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The reasons are almost endless…

The more I play and practice the better I get. It’s perhaps not the greatest form of exercise but it’s exercise non the less. Appreciating golf course design and trying not to fall for the architects traps. Good company and banter, I’m yet to play with anyone who hasn’t been good company. The list goes on and on, I can hardly thing of anything negative to say about golf, but then what golf addict would?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I hate to bring bad news.....it doesn't get any less frustrating as you get better.
It goes from...
''Why is it sometimes I play not bad then it all falls apart?''
to...
''Why is it I play well for 17 holes but still have one 3 putt.''

My last amateur round was a satisfactory 2 under but the 3 putt bogey at the 3rd still grates 19 years later.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wanted to play golf from a very young age. According to my parents it was all I wanted to do.
So, even though I’ve played virtually every other sport, I have always wanted to play golf.
I enjoy competitive golf, solo golf, friendly golf, all bring different perspectives.