Why can't you do it then?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played off 1.4 h/cap I consider that low enough to show that I can (have been able) to play the game to a sufficient level.

I've read, studied, analysed and played more than most. After quitting the game for 7yrs I don't really have the same URGE to get down that low, I might try but injury and enthusiasm have stopped me bothering.... and I'm not getting any younger. Would really like to try to get to scratch one day.... I think I have it in my wheelhouse :p

If you would just listen to the tips I give ................... !

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The majority of comment and advice in this section is offered by guys who, judging by their h'cap s, should be applying some of it to their own game.

Why is that? Why can't you hit it how you like to tell others how to hit it?

Not interested in opening any argument about teachers not being players- mourinho, wenger etc.

Just interested in why you can't apply your own advice to your own game.

If I could turn the clock back a couple of decades, add a huge amount of talent and work ethic, and acquire a fortune to pay for lessons, travel, childcare and render work unnecessary, I reckon I could get down to a low handicap. Simple really.

On the other hand, you may be making a spurious association between ability to play and ability to understand technology, the mental game or whatever.

Some of the guys who work on the Tour trucks and make clubs for the great players don't play golf at all. Doesn't make them unsuited to the job, Likewise club and shaft designers who are engineers and materials experts.

And the opposite applies. Some great players have no clue about the technical aspects of the game, or understand the technology.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The difficulty of your course is irrelevant as SSS/CSS will take that into account and your handicap will be in line with the rest of us.

As far as I'm aware his h/cap will be in line with all the other members of his club. Not necessarily the rest of us. But even so,... it's a lame excuse for playing off 14.3 ;)

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As far as I'm aware his h/cap will be in line with all the other members of his club. Not necessarily the rest of us. But even so,... it's a lame excuse for playing off 14.3 ;)

Surely if the CSS/SSS are accurate, they are meant to align all courses...

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is a brilliant thread, only 27 posts so far and I'm loving it already! :)

How anyone can offer advice without seeing a swing is beyond me, especially when the person asking for it probably isn't describing the fault correctly due to a lack of knowledge.

Robo, you are on my Xmas card list for this one! :thup:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a simple question and it was in the present tense. I've made no spurious associations, the question was stand alone.

I made no reference to the quality or accuracy of anyone's advice or the way it is delivered/ offered.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only state the obvious tbh (poor balance on finish etc) and only to beginners/high cappers like myself. Anyone else I read and enjoy the input of more learned members

except James as he talks twoddle ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It was a simple question and it was in the present tense. I've made no spurious associations, the question was stand alone.

I made no reference to the quality or accuracy of anyone's advice or the way it is delivered/ offered.

Purely out of interest, based on your OP, what would YOU regard as 'being able to do it' pertaining to handicaps?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surely if the CSS/SSS are accurate, they are meant to align all courses...

yep you think so wouldn't you i think the course i play has an sss 73 par 71

if you played it, i guarantee you could not play within 2 shorts of your handicap or even close to that... (if anybody wants to take me up on that bet.........)

my pb is a 73 gross at my old parkland club ,
i haven't got close to breaking 80 at Burnham and Berrow, been a member for 1 1/2 years now

i was called through by some green fee'ers last weekend were playing off the back tee, hacking away made me laugh, thought they were getting the most out of the course where in reality they were making incredibly difficult, taking the enjoyment out of it

anyway Just One is right no excuse for being cr@p lol

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Purely out of interest, based on your OP, what would YOU regard as 'being able to do it' pertaining to handicaps?

That is not part of my question and is irrelevant.

If you think that you apply all your knowledge to your own game and have peaked at 6, or whatever you play off, then fair enough.

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The majority of comment and advice in this section is offered by guys who, judging by their h'cap s, should be applying some of it to their own game.

Why is that? Why can't you hit it how you like to tell others how to hit it?

Not interested in opening any argument about teachers not being players- mourinho, wenger etc.

Just interested in why you can't apply your own advice to your own game.

I started of 22, crap. Now off 12 still crap. No lessons, no brand new clubs.

Robobum. Great post. More walk, less talk. :clap:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
yep you think so wouldn't you i think the course i play has an sss 73 par 71

if you played it, i guarantee you could not play within 2 shorts of your handicap or even close to that... (if anybody wants to take me up on that bet.........)

my pb is a 73 gross at my old parkland club ,
i haven't got close to breaking 80 at Burnham and Berrow, been a member for 1 1/2 years now

i was called through by some green fee'ers last weekend were playing off the back tee, hacking away made me laugh, thought they were getting the most out of the course where i reality they were making incredibly difficult, taking the enjoyment out of it

anyway Just One is right no excuse for being cr@p lol

just to add there was pro tour event at the club today and this was the leaderboard for it

http://www.jamegatour.co.uk/scoresresults/latest-scores/wf_menu_install.html

conditions were cold obviously and wind was pretty average

nice to see some pro's going round in more than my handicap :)

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only 'advice' I have given was for judging the borrow on a putt and I lifted that straight out of GM!
Otherwise I keep shtum.
There was a thread some time ago whether the 'ask the experts' should be re-named.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Teach lessons def no, but i would advise someone IF THEY ASK in a casual game, if i thought their stance or club face was too open / closed ect.
You don't have to be able to play a certain shot to tell someone whats obvious . IE. your standing too close to the ball , after he's hit.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont post opinions on peoples swings simply because i dont think that they would be of any use.....You will always have conflicting opinions on different swings.......Everybody has their own way of swinging a club and getting the ball in the air.......But i myself would take advice from a low singles handicapper... If they are able to maintain that handicap then they obviously are doing something right.....

Since taking my lessons the last of 8 this wednesday night im pretty confident i could see the same issues i had in another Forummers swing if the quality of video was good enough...It may or may not help their game...Im still improving and my fixes have really brought my game on but id still be slow enough to offer advice to others......

With the greatest of respect to higher handicappers i think they'd be talking out of turn on a lot of issues pertaining to the swing giving advice in this section.....
Yesterday i had a 24 handicapper trying to tell me i didnt have enough club in my hand (A 4 Iron) for a 150mtr shot into a strong wind to reach the green.....I left the ball pin high with about 20ft for birdie..
Once on the green he then began to tell me how to read the green....:confused:

I just smiled and nodded my head......It would make you wonder.