Why can't you do it then?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is a brilliant thread, only 27 posts so far and I'm loving it already! :)

How anyone can offer advice without seeing a swing is beyond me, especially when the person asking for it probably isn't describing the fault correctly due to a lack of knowledge.

Robo, you are on my Xmas card list for this one! :thup:

Thats a bit harsh. Members trying to help often ask for more information or a video, they may also suggest a visit to the local Pro may help. It is often possible to make a fair guess at what the problem may be when someone explains the symptoms.

It's a bit like someone asking a mate down the pub who knows a bit about cars why his car may be losing oil. The mate may ask if there is an oil puddle under the car, if not he may ask if the car is pushing blue smoke out the exhaust, if it is he may suggest the piston rings may be worn, if neither then he may suggest dropping it into the main dealer for a check over.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think i know a fair bit about the golf swing had lots of lessons read lots of books and watched numerous video's played on and off for 20 years but i'm still off 14, and i don't mind admitting its because i haven't got the talent. (And the course i play at is very tough)

Defo one of the hardest courses I have ever played. However, don't let that put you off. If you are ever in the area you must give it a go. From the 1st tee you cannot really see the fairway, thats because it is the narrowest one I have ever seen :). Greens are always superb, even in winter.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why can't you hit it how you like to tell others how to hit it?

This was the OP question, not whether advice should be offered or not.

For what it's worth - I like reading the advice from anybody, 28 h'cap or pro. I don't necessarily agree with it or have an urge to implement it but I like reading it all the same.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Defo one of the hardest courses I have ever played. However, don't let that put you off. If you are ever in the area you must give it a go. From the 1st tee you cannot really see the fairway, thats because it is the narrowest one I have ever seen :). Greens are always superb, even in winter.

Thanks chap, it's a tough challenge, but enjoyable to, a really great course design, and the par 3's are the best i've ever played, would definitely recommend it.

P.s. sorry for the thread hijack robobum

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The majority of comment and advice in this section is offered by guys who, judging by their h'cap s, should be applying some of it to their own game.

Why is that? Why can't you hit it how you like to tell others how to hit it?

Not interested in opening any argument about teachers not being players- mourinho, wenger etc.

Just interested in why you can't apply your own advice to your own game.

But, imo, it is absolutely analogous!

What makes you qualified to actually ask that question/make that assessment? :D

At what level would you suggest performance/ability allows anyone to give 'advice'?

I studied under a world class (Nobel Prize nominee level) mathematician. He wasn't as good at teaching as a vastly inferior (academically) level Post Grad student or a similarly aged, low level' Senior Lecturer. So greater performance doesn't necessarily mean greater ability to teach, and, by corollary (the Maths stuck!), lesser performance, lesser ability to teach either.

Handicap in sig of anyone providing their opinion - Note that I didn't specify'advice' - certainly does provide the recipient with some metric to filter such replies. But who's to know that's correct anyway.

Oh. And it's a forum for heaven's sake. Anyone asking for 'advice' is actually requesting other members opinions! If they weren't, they'd simply go see a Pro!

You point does have some validity though. And what I feel in my swing certainly ain't what I see when I video it! But these almost 60 year old muscles and bones are unlikely to be able to hit it much further, nor get practice the short game sufficiently to compensate and get 'low enough to advise'! The eyes and brain still work relatively effectively though, so can/will have opinions!:D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ill listen to anyone with a tip on how to play the game. ill give it a go if i think it will work. i'll try anything .. anything !!!!

but im not paying for it :swing:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

P.s. sorry for the thread hijack robobum

No worries mate, done with it anyway. Love Burnham, but it is one of the least fair courses I've played - but then that's probably down to the golfer's unique ability to only remember bad luck! ;)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
But, imo, it is absolutely analogous!

What makes you qualified to actually ask that question/make that assessment? :D

At what level would you suggest performance/ability allows anyone to give 'advice'?

I studied under a world class (Nobel Prize nominee level) mathematician. He wasn't as good at teaching as a vastly inferior (academically) level Post Grad student or a similarly aged, low level' Senior Lecturer. So greater performance doesn't necessarily mean greater ability to teach, and, by corollary (the Maths stuck!), lesser performance, lesser ability to teach either.

Handicap in sig of anyone providing their opinion - Note that I didn't specify'advice' - certainly does provide the recipient with some metric to filter such replies. But who's to know that's correct anyway.

Oh. And it's a forum for heaven's sake. Anyone asking for 'advice' is actually requesting other members opinions! If they weren't, they'd simply go see a Pro!

You point does have some validity though. And what I feel in my swing certainly ain't what I see when I video it! But these almost 60 year old muscles and bones are unlikely to be able to hit it much further, nor get practice the short game sufficiently to compensate and get 'low enough to advise'! The eyes and brain still work relatively effectively though, so can/will have opinions!:D

You're not for real are you

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yep you think so wouldn't you i think the course i play has an sss 73 par 71

if you played it, i guarantee you could not play within 2 shorts of your handicap or even close to that... (if anybody wants to take me up on that bet.........)

my pb is a 73 gross at my old parkland club ,
i haven't got close to breaking 80 at Burnham and Berrow, been a member for 1 1/2 years now

i was called through by some green fee'ers last weekend were playing off the back tee, hacking away made me laugh, thought they were getting the most out of the course where in reality they were making incredibly difficult, taking the enjoyment out of it

anyway Just One is right no excuse for being cr@p lol

I'll take you up on it :D

I'm on holiday in Burnham-on-sea (!!) w/c 22nd July if you're free any time that week?
Was looking at playing it anyway but all the better playing with someone else :)

Chrisb83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm relatively new to golf and have spent many hours watching videos on YouTube with how to fix all sorts of faults even ones I don't even think I have! So when someone posts a issue and I've seen a video that may help then I try to post the link rather than explain it but I like to feel like I've contributed to forum without giving bad advice.

I read most of the posts on here and for someone at my level I have picked up loads of pointers that I would have had to pay for in a lesson where as now when I can afford a lesson it can be spent improving on what I'd picked up on here and practiced before on the range.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
i think i know a fair bit about the golf swing had lots of lessons read lots of books and watched numerous video's played on and off for 20 years but i'm still off 14, and i don't mind admitting its because i haven't got the talent. (And the course i play at is very tough)

yep you think so wouldn't you i think the course i play has an sss 73 par 71

if you played it, i guarantee you could not play within 2 shorts of your handicap or even close to that... (if anybody wants to take me up on that bet.........)

my pb is a 73 gross at my old parkland club ,
i haven't got close to breaking 80 at Burnham and Berrow, been a member for 1 1/2 years now

i was called through by some green fee'ers last weekend were playing off the back tee, hacking away made me laugh, thought they were getting the most out of the course where in reality they were making incredibly difficult, taking the enjoyment out of it

anyway Just One is right no excuse for being cr@p lol

Why would you expect to come anywhere near breaking 80? You are a 14 handicap playing on a course with SSS 73. You should be ecstatic coming near to breaking 85.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a degree of understanding and will give a general opinion if someone puts a post up. However my stock answer is usually go and see a pro. They are the ones with the real understanding, although like most professions, there are good and bad. Get a lesson. work hard on the changes and drills and put the time in and you will (should) improve. Of course, this then brings us back to the other can of worms, has everyone got a natural plateau after which they won't get better

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'll take you up on it :D

I'm on holiday in Burnham-on-sea (!!) w/c 22nd July if you're free any time that week?
Was looking at playing it anyway but all the better playing with someone else :)

hi region3

yep i would be up for that for sure, have to get in touch nearer the time....

and sort out the stakes of the bet :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm learning to take it with a pinch of salt, I don't really care who posts or what their h/cap is... I'll post what I think and that's that. If I can't be bothered then I don't. I could write something for 2hrs then have it completely undermined by a 22 h/capper who says "I fixed my swing by rolling my wrists more as my pro advised me", so I have to decide, can i be bothered to waste my time or not? I'm still here so I guess the answer is YES (....well sometimes!)

If I was on a car forum I'd expect there would be a lot of free advice, some right and some wrong, same with a DIY forum or even a "Where should I invest my savings" forum.

It's free advice.... it would be different if people were paying for it.

Not sure what you're after, I don't think you can expect every person to be off scratch or be PGA qualified just to give an opinion.... but you seem to have no 'set limits' (or opinion of your own) that you're prepared to air in public.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why would you expect to come anywhere near breaking 80? You are a 14 handicap playing on a course with SSS 73. You should be ecstatic coming near to breaking 85.

because i was a single digit handicapper at my old parkland club and i'm looking to get better, but burnham is a tough cookie