Why do YOU play golf?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hitting the odd great shot, like my 5i off the 18th tee on Sunday.
Finishing one up against my mate in match play after being 3 down after 3, Sunday again.
Also, I think golf courses are beautiful for a (sort of) man-made thing. I would choose a golf view property over one with a sea view anytime, given the choice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm addicted to it. When I'm bored at work on a Tuesday, I'm already looking forward to my round of golf on the weekend. Probably too much of my mental health hinges on it these days - it's my time when I don't think about anything else at all other than the next shot and the chat with whoever I'm playing with. I say too much because I look forward to it so much that when I play shockingly I get very sad afterwards and all I can think about is going out again to right those wrongs.

I started when I was around 14, had a group lesson and started hacking it round with my mum and dad, but I didn't come back to it properly until I was around 30, when I started to think about how I wouldn't be able to play football forever, whereas golf, in theory, I could. Got the obsession big time after that.

evemccc

Visit site
Have to say it’s a great thread

What it shows to me is that most of us play the game for enjoyment , we all want to improve as golfers and challenge ourselves

It’s not just about winning for us

I agree 100%. Play for enjoyment, for the mental calculation / estimation of a shot and physical / technical challenge of executing the desired shot. Play for scenery, fresh air, being away from responsibility and people and BS things — and to get better

That being said, I wonder why the majority of internal club comps are done via handicap and not with gross scores…I doubt this will change because lots want to ‘win’ despite being an XYZ handicap. I will always think that I haven’t been ‘beaten’ if a high handicapper scores more points than me, and worse gross score, and vice-versa 🤣

I’d love to be a low / no handicapper, but I’m clearly not 🤪 But I feel golf is the only sport in which its ‘regular amateur’ participants are awarded for not being excellent in comps

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll tell you why I‘ll play today.

Currently sitting in the clubhouse having just had a bite of lunch, and I am looking out on a sun-kissed first tee and fairway, and every fibre of me wants to be out there hitting a ball. So, though got a couple of things to do, I’ve just booked a tee time for 3:30pm and I’ll be back and out there. Just myself and my golf clubs.

TigerBear

Visit site
I found this quite hard to articulate. I play for a whole host of reasons but number one is for the pure enjoyment of the game. I love everything about it, playing and watching. Being outdoors, with friends and the constant challenge to beat yourself.

Simply, Golf is my life's greatest addiction :ROFLMAO:

TheHeron

Visit site
I have pretty bad inattentive ADD that I've been on meds for in the past. It's not crippling but it used to interfere with work a great deal and as a result I became very depressed and started drinking quite heavily to regulate. I rediscovered golf in 2021 after playing a bunch in my early teens. I've tried a bunch of meds and therapy over the years, but nothing has helped with my mood swings and ADD quite like Golf. It gives me an outlet to channel the obsessive components of my ADD, helps me regulate my moods and keeps me away from the sauce.

My long term goals are to create or assist in some sort of charity that helps golf to regulate mental health problems through Golf. I really do believe that it can be used as an alternative to all sorts of different treatments.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
With the ever increasing cost, the less spare time I have, and my diminishing ability, I find myself asking this question more and more recently.

I haven't played for a few weeks now and considering some of the lovely weather we've been having, I think that I am on the verge of just leaving the game as something that I used to do. It is weird - I just seemed to have lost all interest in it.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
With the ever increasing cost, the less spare time I have, and my diminishing ability, I find myself asking this question more and more recently.

I haven't played for a few weeks now and considering some of the lovely weather we've been having, I think that I am on the verge of just leaving the game as something that I used to do. It is weird - I just seemed to have lost all interest in it.
Maybe just take the winter off and come back to it fresh next year? Absence makes the heart grow fonder 😉

RedEyes

Visit site
I have been playing on and off since I was 14, Woosie winning The Masters got me right into it. I was a single figure handicap in my teens but play off 15 atm.
I've started getting the bug back big time this year. Since the kids came along (eldest 11) I've only really played about 6 times a year if I was lucky, but since May this year I've been able to get out about once a week.
I've had a Giant Cell bone tumour removed from my left tibia 3 times since 2018 (last removed 3 years ago today) and I'm lucky I still have a left leg tbh, it's held together with bone cement, screws and plates and when I had my first op they told me I'd only be able to play with the use of a buggy, I've proved them wrong though and I walk 18 holes comfortably.
I'm unable to run since my diagnosis so the walking also helps with my fitness.
There's no better feeling than hitting one out of the screws!