WHS Part 2

Visit site
I think it is very confusing to compare the current Australian system with CONGU. There are some similarities but some significant differences.
Re WHS.
DSA & CSS will be replaced by PCC (Playiing Conditions Calculation) based on ALL legitimately returned scores on that day. The USGA currently has no equivalent.
Handicap calcs are based on the Differential. ie Difference between Course Rating (including Slope) and Gross (max net double bogey).
Never said Aus system was anything like Congu. It’s a completely different beast altogether. Aus system is however far closer to how WHS is run.I’m trying to help some of those that don’t profess to know every rule of the top of their heads.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
App? What app? PSI? :confused:
At point of entry PSI terminals will recognise you, your handicap index, the comp you are entering, the course rating, slope any adjustment (eg 95%) an will show you your playing handicap.
You will be able to ask any terminal, PC, tablet, phone etc for your handicap and playing record at any time

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
This could be hearsay, but, I heard that there will be delays as they have not managed to rate all the courses in the UK. Does anyone know if Jan 2020 is accurate ?

Also, how will initial handicaps be calculated ? Will our handicaps stay as they are at the start, or, will they all change based on the calculations mentioned in the OP ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it will be confusing and take a long time to get used to. As I said before, I don't like not knowing what I would have to score to get my handicap down, or walking off the course not knowing if my handicap will go up or down or neither. Maybe I'll start to work it out over time, I don't know. Currently I have no idea what the slope ratings will be of any of the courses I play either, so it's hard to picture this in a workable way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This could be hearsay, but, I heard that there will be delays as they have not managed to rate all the courses in the UK. Does anyone know if Jan 2020 is accurate ?

Also, how will initial handicaps be calculated ? Will our handicaps stay as they are at the start, or, will they all change based on the calculations mentioned in the OP ?
In the UK it's November 2020 I thought. Wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back to Jan 2021 either.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it will be confusing and take a long time to get used to. As I said before, I don't like not knowing what I would have to score to get my handicap down, or walking off the course not knowing if my handicap will go up or down or neither.
IMHO this is an advantage of the new system. Not knowing how your score might affect your handicap will release you from the stress of worrying about it.

Visit site
The long and short of it in a nutshell. You will start within 1 shot of your current handicap based on my and other poms out here who have come from the uk. Play well, consistently, you will find your handicap come down SLIGHTLYQUICKERthan in the UK. Play poorly, consistently, you will find your handicap will go up SLIGHTLY QUICKER. Play good, average and bad and you will hover around current handicap. It is not to be feared and you will soon adjust and luck us out here think it is a far better system to reflect your current ability, not keeping it artificially high or low based on a couple of vfreak(good or bad) results.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The long and short of it in a nutshell. You will start within 1 shot of your current handicap based on my and other poms out here who have come from the uk. Play well, consistently, you will find your handicap come down SLIGHTLYQUICKERthan in the UK. Play poorly, consistently, you will find your handicap will go up SLIGHTLY QUICKER. Play good, average and bad and you will hover around current handicap. It is not to be feared and you will soon adjust and luck us out here think it is a far better system to reflect your current ability, not keeping it artificially high or low based on a couple of vfreak(good or bad) results.

This is the bit I dont get. If you are limited to starting within 1 of current handicap, regardless of recent form, at what point does the new system actually kick in? .... eg a player who has been miles away from the buffer and going up 0.1 for past 20 rounds might be off 12 now, but actual performance more like 18-20. He'd start on 13, then what?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are there not scenarios where you can play well but your handicap actually goes up because your best ever round just went from your 20th most recent to the 21st most recent so it is knocked off the scale??

Swango1980

Visit site
Another question. You play on a Saturday, very well, in a competition. For whatever reason, none of the scores have been officially entered into the system. Maybe the computer was down, maybe the competition secretary was absent and didn't get round to finalising the competition, maybe you don't have the app, etc. You are then playing in a competition on a Sunday, and no changes have yet been made to your handicap index. As it is now, is it still your responsibility to recalculate your handicap to ensure you do not play off too high a handicap??

Visit site
Are there not scenarios where you can play well but your handicap actually goes up because your best ever round just went from your 20th most recent to the 21st most recent so it is knocked off the scale??
it will depend on the averages of the other 7 remaining scores plus your next new lowest. In theory yes, but look at my 20 scores I posted , it hasn’t moved that much in actuality from round to round. It’s unlikely that your best ever is 72 and next 7 best are 82, can happen, but unlikely . I think the stats back up people generally shoot around their ‘handicap’ bar a few oddities of those on a purple patch or playing complete poo...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
it will depend on the averages of the other 7 remaining scores plus your next new lowest. In theory yes, but look at my 20 scores I posted , it hasn’t moved that much in actuality from round to round. It’s unlikely that your best ever is 72 and next 7 best are 82, can happen, but unlikely . I think the stats back up people generally shoot around their ‘handicap’ bar a few oddities of those on a purple patch or playing complete poo...
But in theory you could also beat your handicap on a round by a shot or two and not get cut which I think is daft.

Swango1980

Visit site
Don't know about you, but I wouldn't have a clue what score I got 20 rounds ago.
I know some people who would, and could talk me through every single shot of that round. The type that starts "we last played with each outer 7 years ago, remember the shot I hit on this hole and that hole etc". No mate, I don't remember how I played that hole yesterday, let alone how you played it 7 years ago :)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Look on page 1 at the webpage I posted, you have a unique ID log on that tracks all your rounds for life and highlights your best 8 rounds in the last 20, simples...
I must have missed that. Which website is that?
The only website I've noticed in your posts is golf.org.au, and I'm sure I won't have an ID for that!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as I can turn up, whack the ball, have a chuckle and a smile, have a coffee / kitkat, Fanta lemon / bag of crisps afterwards then all of the rest will take care of itself. I barely understand the current system with any great confidence so I am not going to worry about the nature of this one.

One for the h/cap secs to get their heads around certainly but for the rest of us, does it really matter? Fill in the card, enter it on the computer, walk away.