WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

Swango1980

Visit site
I admire your stamina but you have taken the whole GDPR argument (if there is one) to a new level unless you members are ok with this and the club have proof, you have moved the responsibility to you and not the club. I wonder what will happen when the club finally hit the accept button?
My feeling is that those details are already on our Club V1 system, so I was simply taking the view that we are using the details members have already given us (and they have no idea what we use them for when they supply them anyway), and copying them into our WHS Portal for the handicaps they wish us to maintain.

I am not a GDPR expert. Simply a volunteer that helps on the Committee outside my day job. England Golf developed a system in which members must have their e-mail addresses on the portal to get their Index information. Only a month before launch, they send out their GDPR document, which was e-mailed to our members. Not had any feedback on that. The owners staff then started furiously chasing people with missing details, as requested, and updated Club V1 accordingly. We were under the impression this would be transferred to WHS. It wasn't. The owner of our golf club rang Club V1 to authorise this to happen last week. It didn't, probably due to a technical issue or breakdown in communication. So, with less than 1 week to go, I have had members text me, leave message on whatsapp groups, asking what is going on. I've heard from 3rd parties that other golfers have been moaning behind the scenes. And, of course, as handicap secretary, I'm sure many will point the finger at me, given they do not know the shambles that has been made to bring this to launch. So, I e-mailed all members yesterday afternoon explaining exactly why there was a delay, and that I would aim to manually rectify this over the next few evenings. The whole time, from when the GDPR was sent out at end of last month, have I heard of any member refuse for this to be used. I'd happily remove this info if they wanted.

If GDPR was going to be an issue, I have no idea why clubs could not have been told in the middle of the summer. We could have sent out e-mails, and had a sheet at the club. Members could opt in or out, and we could check them off individually. Over the course of a few months, that would have given plenty of time for golfers to give us that feedback. Or, why could the system not be developed where, when registering, members could not simply provide their e-mail address and DOB directly? (maybe there is a good reason, but if not it seems a simple solution). So, basically, with less than a week to go, I felt if I didn't sort this now, it would cause all sorts of issues from next week. I expect this anyway, as my Seniors representative informed me yesterday that most Seniors do not even know what howdidido is (I referenced that to get CDH numbers) and I suspect many don't even read e-mails. So, I think many of them will not have a clue what is going on next week, forget about them using Apps.

Has anyone put their PSI terminal back on for members to use, after Covid restrictions?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with every thing you wrote @Swango1980 one big cluster muck all round and fingers should be pointed very firmly at EG. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Our seniors were the first this year to fully adopt and use all the faculties available on HDID from booking in on a comp all the way to score entry, benefit during the lock down period of running tests and talking members through it, this was closely followed by the ladies. Still waiting for the mens section to get their act together.

PSI only in use by 2 nominated people, me and the club manager.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agree with every thing you wrote @Swango1980 one big cluster muck all round and fingers should be pointed very firmly at EG. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Our seniors were the first this year to fully adopt and use all the faculties available on HDID from booking in on a comp all the way to score entry, benefit during the lock down period of running tests and talking members through it, this was closely followed by the ladies. Still waiting for the mens section to get their act together.

PSI only in use by 2 nominated people, me and the club manager.
The seniors competition secretary informed me yesterday they are running a "qualifier" next Wednesday, should he just use Club V1 as normal. I tried to explain to him that the term qualifier will no longer be a thing with WHS. I also have no idea what Club V1 will look like, or whether it will even be ready, to deal with a WHS competition. I said he should discuss with the Seniors how they want to proceed with it. However, it would be worth them trying out a WHS competition just to try and start getting used to it, even if scores need to be entered at a later date? I know some clubs who have said they'd just use Congu handicaps until they can trust WHS, but I would be keen on using it right from the start so that we are seasoned experts by March.

IanMcC

Visit site
I noticed several of my friends, and also myself, were missing some rounds from the GolfBox CDH Database, which Wales Golf uses. (I hasten to add I am not speaking about the new WHS Portal, this is the Wales Golf CDH database that will be used for the data transfer.) I contacted Wales Golf and they fobbed me off to ClubV1. ClubV1 tried a Club CDH Sync but nothing changed. If I perform an individual CDH Sync on Club V1 then this does transfer the data over from ClubV1 to Golfbox.
I ran a playing frequency report from ClubV1 and I am currently in the process of cross checking ClubV1 rounds against GolfBox database. After completing page 1 of 8, I found 24 perfect records and 16 with rounds missing. A CDH Sync almost instantly updated GolfBox. I intend to do all pages today.
I believe ClubV1 software to be not robust enough to write to Golfbox consistently. Maybe it is just a Wales Golf thing, as England Golf uses a different Database, but I urge all M&H secretaries to run a check. After changeover I don't know if the ClubV1 CDH Sync will be available to write to the new database, and if it is, how effective it will be.
On a separate note, one golfer was missing all of his 2019 rounds, and a CDH Sync does not fix it. A ClubV1 online rep was on it, but he made no progress, unsurprisingly.

Swango1980

Visit site
I noticed several of my friends, and also myself, were missing some rounds from the GolfBox CDH Database, which Wales Golf uses. (I hasten to add I am not speaking about the new WHS Portal, this is the Wales Golf CDH database that will be used for the data transfer.) I contacted Wales Golf and they fobbed me off to ClubV1. ClubV1 tried a Club CDH Sync but nothing changed. If I perform an individual CDH Sync on Club V1 then this does transfer the data over from ClubV1 to Golfbox.
I ran a playing frequency report from ClubV1 and I am currently in the process of cross checking ClubV1 rounds against GolfBox database. After completing page 1 of 8, I found 24 perfect records and 16 with rounds missing. A CDH Sync almost instantly updated GolfBox. I intend to do all pages today.
I believe ClubV1 software to be not robust enough to write to Golfbox consistently. Maybe it is just a Wales Golf thing, as England Golf uses a different Database, but I urge all M&H secretaries to run a check. After changeover I don't know if the ClubV1 CDH Sync will be available to write to the new database, and if it is, how effective it will be.
On a separate note, one golfer was missing all of his 2019 rounds, and a CDH Sync does not fix it. A ClubV1 online rep was on it, but he made no progress, unsurprisingly.
Ian, one thing to consider is, did the player have a CDH number in 2019. We have a player with all his 2018 rounds missing from the WHS platform (although the rounds do appear on his score history in Club V1). The reason was that, although Club V1 was updating his handicap in 2018, the handicap secretary at the time had never assigned him a CDH number. I discovered this when I took over the role in 2019, and assigned him one. However, it does mean that none of his previous scores ever went to CDH unfortunately. I'd have thought a good idea would be that, when a player without a CDH entered a score, there was at least some sort of warning or reminder they didn't have a CDH.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The seniors competition secretary informed me yesterday they are running a "qualifier" next Wednesday, should he just use Club V1 as normal. I tried to explain to him that the term qualifier will no longer be a thing with WHS. I also have no idea what Club V1 will look like, or whether it will even be ready, to deal with a WHS competition. I said he should discuss with the Seniors how they want to proceed with it. However, it would be worth them trying out a WHS competition just to try and start getting used to it, even if scores need to be entered at a later date? I know some clubs who have said they'd just use Congu handicaps until they can trust WHS, but I would be keen on using it right from the start so that we are seasoned experts by March.
I have access to the WHS beta system, don't you.
We are running a comp for the seniors next Tuesday and will set it up on the day however it will be a NQ as I think that's still an option just incase there are any surprises.

I'm with you, use it from the start, isvs will be quick enough to shut it down if there's a problem and you cant spot problems unless it's in use.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ian, one thing to consider is, did the player have a CDH number in 2019. We have a player with all his 2018 rounds missing from the WHS platform (although the rounds do appear on his score history in Club V1). The reason was that, although Club V1 was updating his handicap in 2018, the handicap secretary at the time had never assigned him a CDH number. I discovered this when I took over the role in 2019, and assigned him one. However, it does mean that none of his previous scores ever went to CDH unfortunately. I'd have thought a good idea would be that, when a player without a CDH entered a score, there was at least some sort of warning or reminder they didn't have a CDH.
This, we have spotted a few, problem with none golfers entering the 3 cards.

IanMcC

Visit site
He did have a CDH number, but he brought it from another Welsh Club. I have just checked again. That player now has a full history on GolfBox. Either my CDH Sync did the trick (likely) or the ClubV1 guy fixed something without telling me.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have access to the WHS beta system, don't you.
We are running a comp for the seniors next Tuesday and will set it up on the day however it will be a NQ as I think that's still an option just incase there are any surprises.

I'm with you, use it from the start, isvs will be quick enough to shut it down if there's a problem and you cant spot problems unless it's in use.
To be honest, I try to stay clear from competitions as much as possible, as we have just formed a 4-man comp committee, and too many cooks. However, I obviously need to provide them feedback regarding handicap considerations. If I get a chance with the beta, I'll have a look. However, I am absolutely up to my neck in it at work, and I'm spending my evenings to deal with WHS mostly. Thankfully I work in an office, so I can dip in and out of here just to give my mind a rest (from work, but I think it is probably doing me more harm than good). I see England Golf are now starting to e-mail other info, such as the Toolkit 2.0, with incentives like WHS Challenge event. All stuff I'd have loved to have had a month or 2 to read about, and chat and distribute to the relevant comp secs for each section. I'm not sure if they think most clubs have full time staff that have plenty of people and plenty of staff just to digest this stuff as soon as it comes in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Questions are flooding in now. One asks is there any way to see his individual hole scores? I don't suppose this information is available.

On the EG website at present no- future scores probably

On IG yes until it gets changed.

I printed off my mine for future reference.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I may be late to the party on this one but it appears that CSS has now been factored in to the Handicap Index calculations. (I've noticed my index went from 11.2 to 11.5 without new scores being added so thought I'd investigate the reason why!!!)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be late to the party on this one but it appears that CSS has now been factored in to the Handicap Index calculations. (I've noticed my index went from 11.2 to 11.5 without new scores being added so thought I'd investigate the reason why!!!)
Do you think EG has done another CDH to WHS run? Having said they wouldn't until 1 Nov.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you think EG has done another CDH to WHS run? Having said they wouldn't until 1 Nov.

No. Simply because if they had of done then they'd have surely included results from October...and no new scores appear in my records. I agree with yandabrowns assessment above.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
@mikejohnchapman from your post on another thread

The ESR under WHS is different and kicks in if you have a -7 Gross Differential (! shot) or -10 GD (2 Shots).

If you want to apply a recent adjustment to a handicap index you can do so on the individual members page of the EG Platform by selecting official adjustment. You can add a one or two shot adjustment which will have the effect of reducing all 20 rounds in the playing record by 1 or 2 shots. As more rounds are added these will not have the adjustment so the ESR flushes through.

Do you know what happens if you do that on the platform - does it feed back and fill at the ISV end or should this be done at the ISV end. Appreciate we are flying blind here without seeing the final ISV product but I don't fancy having to do dual entries on any of the detail required including when people change their email.

I assume the various platforms will synchronise certain information. The primary platform will be the ISV base which will take it's HI from the EG Platform. Thus any changes made to the platform will flow back. Changes to personal data will be made on the ISV platform as primary - not sure personal details other than email and DoB will synch with the EG Platform. Thus adding addresses / phones etc will probably be made via My England Golf but I don't think this will synchronise with the ISV platform.

I realise I'm using logic here which ay be dangerous!