WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am trying to set up a few early competitions on ClubV1. To try and achieve equality of numbers, we have decided to base our divisional limits on Handicap Index, up to 8.9, 9.0 to 14.8, and 14.9 upwards. ClubV1 does not appear to allow decimal places for divisions, it is whole integers only. Am I correct or misunderstanding something?

The latest release notes include the following:
Competitions – Fixed an issue when using Handicap Index as the Division Type with rounding exact handicaps so players are in the correct division.

That’s as clear as mud to me. Are they saying that if you set the Handicap Index Limit to 9, anyone off 9.4 will be in that Division and off 9.5 will be in the higher one?
I haven't tried it but that's how it reads to me.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I haven't tried it but that's how it reads
In all honesty I would copy and paste this into V1 chat system and you’d get a quick actual answer. Would be interested in the answer.

You were right, they responded very quickly, and I quote 'Unfortunately, ClubV1 does not use decimal places for Divisions currently. Our Development Team are reviewing this and may add in a future update.' Indexes of, say, 8.5 to 9.4 are included as 9, and 9.5 to 10.4 are 10.

They also mentioned that they have received a number of questions asking about this and indicated that if if they receive a large amount of Clubs passing through this feedback then that should hopefully add some priority. Our club will be emailing them asap.

Swango1980

Visit site
So, missed out on the last dozen of pages or so on this thread, but have following query:

Club V1 and New members submitting 3 scores - I have entered 3 scores today for a new member, and done so via Club V1. My process was:

• As they have no handicap to start with, assign them a random handicap (20.0 in this case)
  • Once I've assigned a random handicap, Club V1 allows me to assign a CDH. So, I did this.
  • Enter the player's 3 scores, played over the last 3 days.
I then checked the WHS Portal, and the CDH number for this player correctly matches up with the one created by Club V1, so that is good news. However, the Scoring History is blank at the moment on the WHS Portal. So, on Club V1 the Player's handicap is still shown as 20.0, WHS says Pending.

So, at minimum, I am hoping that this will simply all correct itself at midnight today, and we will have an official handicap tomorrow (I'll report back if not the case).

However, what would have happened if I had entered these scores directly in the WHS Portal rather than Club V1. From memory, before Xmas, WHS then provided an instant initial handicap based on those 3 scores. This would be preferable to me, because once I create an initial handicap for a player, I like to send them out an e-mail notification at that point to tell them what it is, and all other handicap related details that they will want to know about. However, if Club V1 takes a day before providing the initial handicap, there is no way I'll be in a position to constantly go back a day later and finish what I started (I don't undertake this work in an office where I can easily set up a daily routine, I update things as and when I can, whether it be at club, work or home, and no doubt I'll eventually need help from the rest of the handicap committee).

So, in short, I'm asking do people prefer to enter the first 3 scores via Club V1 or via WHS Portal. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

IanMcC

Visit site
So, missed out on the last dozen of pages or so on this thread, but have following query:

Club V1 and New members submitting 3 scores - I have entered 3 scores today for a new member, and done so via Club V1. My process was:

• As they have no handicap to start with, assign them a random handicap (20.0 in this case)
  • Once I've assigned a random handicap, Club V1 allows me to assign a CDH. So, I did this.
I then checked the WHS Portal, and the CDH number for this player correctly matches up with the one created by Club V1, so that is good news. However, the Scoring History is blank at the moment on the WHS Portal. So, on Club V1 the Player's handicap is still shown as 20.0, WHS says Pending.

So, at minimum, I am hoping that this will simply all correct itself at midnight today, and we will have an official handicap tomorrow (I'll report back if not the case).

However, what would have happened if I had entered these scores directly in the WHS Portal rather than Club V1. From memory, before Xmas, WHS then provided an instant initial handicap based on those 3 scores. This would be preferable to me, because once I create an initial handicap for a player, I like to send them out an e-mail notification at that point to tell them what it is, and all other handicap related details that they will want to know about. However, if Club V1 takes a day before providing the initial handicap, there is no way I'll be in a position to constantly go back a day later and finish what I started (I don't undertake this work in an office where I can easily set up a daily routine, I update things as and when I can, whether it be at club, work or home, and no doubt I'll eventually need help from the rest of the handicap committee).

So, in short, I'm asking do people prefer to enter the first 3 scores via Club V1 or via WHS Portal. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?
I dont have full admin rights on ClubV1. The Office Secretary creates new members. As M&H Secretary, I do all the Handicap admin though. Our office secretary went down a similar path to you, but it created difficulties. She was using the first hyperlink she saw after adding a new person, which is 'Golfing Member (CDH)'. Using this link a Handicap number must be entered. She entered 28. So now ClubV1 thinks they have a handicap, in which case you cannot directly add a new CDH number, as the system believes they have one already.
I have asked her to use the 'Member With No Handicap' hyperlink. That way CDH and handicap can be left blank. Here is the process I have adopted for initial handicap cards for a new member.

1. Add new member on Dashboard, making sure name, email address and DOB are all added. This will create a CDH number.
2. Use Dashboard to enter the 3 cards for initial handicap. This will create a handicap index.
3. Go back to ClubV1 and input the CDH number. This will upload the Handicap Index to ClubV1. This bit might need a data sync, cant remember. If it does, its easy. Just go to ClubV1 Scoring record and click the + sign underneath the player details. The option to Sync handicap details is under there.

Using this method stops inputting false data into ClubV1. Im sure some of the boffins will pick holes in all of this, but it works for me.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

I asked the same of our county HC rep and really I’m not sure it makes much difference, where you have to be on the ball and we are rewording our introduction package as the member must register on the EG site.

I’m also disappointed with an issue of members coming from other clubs as I can’t see why they would need to re-register which I was told they wouldn’t but looking at the dashboard, it looks like they do, anyone know any different.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont have full admin rights on ClubV1. The Office Secretary creates new members. As M&H Secretary, I do all the Handicap admin though. Our office secretary went down a similar path to you, but it created difficulties. She was using the first hyperlink she saw after adding a new person, which is 'Golfing Member (CDH)'. Using this link a Handicap number must be entered. She entered 28. So now ClubV1 thinks they have a handicap, in which case you cannot directly add a new CDH number, as the system believes they have one already.
I have asked her to use the 'Member With No Handicap' hyperlink. That way CDH and handicap can be left blank. Here is the process I have adopted for initial handicap cards for a new member.

1. Add new member on Dashboard, making sure name, email address and DOB are all added. This will create a CDH number.
2. Use Dashboard to enter the 3 cards for initial handicap. This will create a handicap index.
3. Go back to ClubV1 and input the CDH number. This will upload the Handicap Index to ClubV1. This bit might need a data sync, cant remember. If it does, its easy. Just go to ClubV1 Scoring record and click the + sign underneath the player details. The option to Sync handicap details is under there.

Using this method stops inputting false data into ClubV1. Im sure some of the boffins will pick holes in all of this, but it works for me.

Our admin is a non golfer and started entering HC with new members, stopped her now but I still do everything through V1

Swango1980

Visit site

I am in same position as you, do not have full admin rights. So, owners staff enter new members in system. They seem to do this OK, but due to turnover in staff, no doubt there will be issues at times.

I think I will adopt your method of creating the new member and entering 3 scores in WHS Portal first, then going to Club V1 to link up after. Using Club V1 first is just messy and counter intuitive. Having to make up an initial handicap before assigning a CDH is just comical really.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am in same position as you, do not have full admin rights. So, owners staff enter new members in system. They seem to do this OK, but due to turnover in staff, no doubt there will be issues at times.

I think I will adopt your method of creating the new member and entering 3 scores in WHS Portal first, then going to Club V1 to link up after. Using Club V1 first is just messy and counter intuitive. Having to make up an initial handicap before assigning a CDH is just comical really.
Not sure why you would need to have a CDH before the cards are submitted?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure why you would need to have a CDH before the cards are submitted?
Sorry, to clarify:

On Club V1, if a member does not have to handicapp, the only option Club V1 gives me is "Add an existing handicap +". There is no other option, such as enter scores for initial handicap.

When I select that option, I just have to type in a random handicap to give them.

Once done, I can only then enter the 3 scores. Before I entered the 3 scores, I assigned a CDH to ensure their record was set up on WHS. But, I could only assign the CDH AFTER giving them a fake handicap. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if the CDH had to be entered before the 3 scores were entered, or it could easily have been done afterwards (although either way it still doesn't get round the fact I had to give them a fake handicap to begin with).

When I set new members up directly on WHS Portal, it seemed much more logical.

PS, I have checked this particular new members handicap today, and thankfully it has now eventually updated to be based on the 3 scores rather than the fake handicap I gave her.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, to clarify:

On Club V1, if a member does not have to handicapp, the only option Club V1 gives me is "Add an existing handicap +". There is no other option, such as enter scores for initial handicap.

When I select that option, I just have to type in a random handicap to give them.

Once done, I can only then enter the 3 scores. Before I entered the 3 scores, I assigned a CDH to ensure their record was set up on WHS. But, I could only assign the CDH AFTER giving them a fake handicap. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if the CDH had to be entered before the 3 scores were entered, or it could easily have been done afterwards (although either way it still doesn't get round the fact I had to give them a fake handicap to begin with).

PS, I have checked this particular new members handicap today, and thankfully it has now eventually updated to be based on the 3 scores rather than the fake handicap I gave her.
I think there is a way on V1 to do this but unfortunately I'm on car washing duty this morning. I'll have a look when I have a chance ?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, to clarify:

Follow this screen shot..... PEOPLE.... ADD PERSON.... select GOLFING MEMBER (No CDH)....then see my next post1617381815763.png1617381815763.png

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@2blue , did you miss a stage. Don’t you have to first hit the add a score button and save (without adding the score) to assign and then the add casual round. May be wrong as I’m doing this from memory without system in front of me.
Not sure about that. Should be able to tinker his way around things. Let us know as I haven't actually done the process myself.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Winter Alliance restarted this week and I was a bit taken aback by something stated in the results.

It said "Please let your club match and handicap secretaries be aware that they can register your cards with WHS ".

This suggests to me that that thiss gives options that really should not be available.
Should all cards from all clubs be submitted?
Can some clubs submit cards and other clubs decide not to?
Can clubs decide to submit some cards but not submit others?
Can individual players decide if they want to submit cards or not?

Any Club/Handicap Secretaries in this position?

Swango1980

Visit site
Our Winter Alliance restarted this week and I was a bit taken aback by something stated in the results.

It said "Please let your club match and handicap secretaries be aware that they can register your cards with WHS ".

This suggests to me that that thiss gives options that really should not be available.

As handicap secretary at my club, there is no way I will be insisting anyone submit cards (outside official competitions of course) from any regular roll-up types. They are welcome to as General Play rounds, but no pressure from me. Just like pre-WHS.

If England Golf are upset with that, they are welcome to ask me to resign my position (I'd be quite happy for more free time to be honest), and ask the club to find someone who is willing to make any demands of members, whether they like it or not.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As handicap secretary at my club, there is no way I will be insisting anyone submit cards (outside official competitions of course) from any regular roll-up types. They are welcome to as General Play rounds, but no pressure from me. Just like pre-WHS.

If England Golf are upset with that, they are welcome to ask me to resign my position (I'd be quite happy for more free time to be honest), and ask the club to find someone who is willing to make any demands of members, whether they like it or not.

I am not talking about roll ups. I'm talking about the County Winter Professional and Amateur Alliance played at a number of venues around the county. The term Winter Alliance might confuse you as the fixtures are now being played in Spring/Summer due to lockdown.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not talking about roll ups. I'm talking about the County Winter Professional and Amateur Alliance played at a number of venues around the county. The term Winter Alliance might confuse you as the fixtures are now being played in Spring/Summer due to lockdown.
I presume these are comps that are run through their own software and if so would require the person to pre-register the intention as far as I’m concerned.

The Pro Am Alliances are after all just another form of society albeit they are played by those with official HCs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I presume these are comps that are run through their own software and if so would require the person to pre-register the intention as far as I’m concerned.

The Pro Am Alliances are after all just another form of society albeit they are played by those with official HCs.

There is no need to preregister. The H/C sec is allowed to treat these as being preregistered without the player having done so.
Guidance on the Rules of handicapping G2.1a(1) para 4

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The guideline is

Guidance on the Rules G2.1a (1)