WHS course rating

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I've already missed this apologies. Weren't they supposed to be "gender free" or the red tees rated for both men and women.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They can be however it appears most clubs opted for the current standards of men's and womens tees being assessed for their specific gender.

It can be changed but suspect it will happen after WHS introduction in most cases as a lot of money has been spent on cards, notices, etc.

A big missed opportunity in my opinion.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
They can be however it appears most clubs opted for the current standards of men's and womens tees being assessed for their specific gender.

It can be changed but suspect it will happen after WHS introduction in most cases as a lot of money has been spent on cards, notices, etc.

A big missed opportunity in my opinion.

Did they have to pay to have them rated? Would extra cost be used as an excuse?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be pragmatic and sensible to do it as they have done. Whilst gender blindness is great, there might be issues if the 'red' tees were assessed for a mixture of male and female golfers that did not reflect the actual gender proportions who submitted cards.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did they have to pay to have them rated? Would extra cost be used as an excuse?
There is no charge to the club for rating. It just takes longer for the rating teams and may involve more individual raters if more tees are rated at the same time. Often the men's county union rate separately from the women's association (where counties have not merged). In both cases the counties incur additional expenses costs which ultimately go back to the clubs.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I've already missed this apologies. Weren't they supposed to be "gender free" or the red tees rated for both men and women.
Many clubs did in fact take the opportunity but most did not. When I queried clubs who chose not to, most had surveyed their members who were not in favour.
In practice, i found that many yellow courses had holes that were simply too long for the majority of women club players. In fact a fair number of clubs were introducing slightly shorter courses for their women. In addition, men being men said that the red tees were too short.
Having said that, I persuaded a number of our senior section to try the reds one day and many were surprised by how much the enjoyed it. We never had them rated though.
A few years ago we hosted an England women's matchplay international. The TD walked the course with me to plan tee and hole positions. I think about 10 were from the red course, the rest yellow with two white.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many clubs did in fact take the opportunity but most did not. When I queried clubs who chose not to, most had surveyed their members who were not in favour.
In practice, i found that many yellow courses had holes that were simply too long for the majority of women club players. In fact a fair number of clubs were introducing slightly shorter courses for their women. In addition, men being men said that the red tees were too short.
Having said that, I persuaded a number of our senior section to try the reds one day and many were surprised by how much the enjoyed it. We never had them rated though.
A few years ago we hosted an England women's matchplay international. The TD walked the course with me to plan tee and hole positions. I think about 10 were from the red course, the rest yellow with two white.

I would have thought that playing off the reds would make the game more enjoyable for a lot of seniors. If a survey was done at ours I don't know anyone who was asked their opinion.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have thought that playing off the reds would make the game more enjoyable for a lot of seniors. If a survey was done at ours I don't know anyone who was asked their opinion.
Any survey would have been run by the club. The county assessors would not be involved.

Depending on the county, they should be able to do one next year. I doubt if there would be time to organise one before the close season this year, effectively October - April/May.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any survey would have been run by the club. The county assessors would not be involved.

Depending on the county, they should be able to do one next year. I doubt if there would be time to organise one before the close season this year, effectively October - April/May.

That's what I meant. Survey by club of it's members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your place is anything like the clubs I've been a member of 'a survey of the members' is usually the 4 loudest, biggest drinkers giving their views and the secretary, manager etc believing they are representative ?. It's depressing how often that seems to be the case.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When our course was rated maybe 3 years ago the raters turned up, our handicap secretary asked if they were going to do all tees for all genders, and they just said no.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When our course was rated maybe 3 years ago the raters turned up, our handicap secretary asked if they were going to do all tees for all genders, and they just said no.
They wouldn't if it hadn't been scheduled beforehand.
The raters are not employees. They are volunteers with other things to do in life. Maybe picking the kids up from school or as in our case driving nearly 100 miles to get home.

Last edited: