WHS and par/bogey comps

wjemather

Visit site
IMHO the change since WHS undermines a key fundamental of the bogey competition format, which is match play against the course.

Under UHS if I had a putt for a half I would go for it with no fear about the return, now I'm going to be thinking about making the return.... might as well just play Stableford.

Don't think I'll bother with bogey comps any more.
Similar applies in reverse to putting for nett eagles (or better); i.e. lag them to ensure the nett birdie rather than going for the nett eagle.

Anyway, aside from slippery downhillers that will easily run on 6+ feet, going for it without fear of the return is how everyone should approach putting (at least 90% of the time anyway). And in general, if you're hitting it more than 3-4 feet past, you're hitting it too hard.

D-S

Visit site
IMHO the change since WHS undermines a key fundamental of the bogey competition format, which is match play against the course.

Under UHS if I had a putt for a half I would go for it with no fear about the return, now I'm going to be thinking about making the return.... might as well just play Stableford.

I have never heard the expression 'if you've got two for it, use them' in medal or Stableford play - matchplay or bogey comps should have a different mindset.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Totally agree. I never knew what a bogey comp was until recently and the one I played last month which I mentioned (was very much learning it as we went round). But you're right, the incentive being to go for net par since net bogey or net double makes no difference - it doesn't seem right that it should count for handicap since that brings a mentality conflict into it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The "matchplay vs par" format is a peculiar one.

Played in a medal last Saturday and my nett score was two over par.

I converted this to matchplay vs par and I was 2 up. Yes, two up not two down.

This was due to a treble bogey on a shot-hole and 3 double bogeys on non-shot-holes as well as two birdies and 4 nett birdies.

We have a board comp next month that is matchplay vs par. I always seem to get birdies on shot-holes for which you score no better than if you'd made par.
Your handicapping score will still take account of your gross score, however.

I find this format rather unnecessary.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never heard the expression 'if you've got two for it, use them' in medal or Stableford play - matchplay or bogey comps should have a different mindset.
Totally agree.
Isnt that why it wasn’t allowed before WHS.
Or am I mistaken ?
You were not allowed to play medal and matchplay at the same time.
So why the change ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree.
Isnt that why it wasn’t allowed before WHS.
Or am I mistaken ?
You were not allowed to play medal and matchplay at the same time.
So why the change ?
To accommodate those parts of the world where match and stroke play were common?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To accommodate those parts of the world where match and stroke play were common?
So even though our rule’s didn’t allow it.
We just accommodate because other countries do it.?
I always thought it was because the penalties were different for certain breaches.