Clubs missing, presumed unnecessary

sunshine

Visit site
I see no reason for the vast majority of amateurs to carry more than 10 clubs. There simply isn't a significant enough distance gap (<<10 yards) between consecutive irons/hybrids, and they generally can't hit any iron longer than a 6 or 7.

However, personally, I'd carry 17 clubs if I could - extra wood, long iron/hybrid and wedge.

Wow, aren’t you just amazing! The vast majority of amateurs are struggling to hit a 7 iron, and certainly aren’t capable of hitting anything longer. Maybe everyone should stick to pitch and putt and leave the proper courses empty for the tiny superior minority like you. 🙄

alex rutherford

Visit site
It's interesting to hear about the Seniors trophy competition and the limitation of players to carry only 4 clubs and a putter. Based on the scores from the recent competition, it seems that players can still score well and enjoy their round of golf without a full set of clubs.
However, it's worth noting that golfers carry a full set of clubs for a reason. Different clubs have different lofts and lengths, which allows golfers to hit a variety of shots with varying distances and trajectories. For example, using a driver off the tee will typically provide more distance than using a 5-iron, but the latter may be more accurate.
In addition, different golf courses may require different shots, and having a full set of clubs allows golfers to adapt to the course and its challenges. So while it's possible to play well with just a few clubs, having a full set gives golfers more options and versatility.
Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and playing style. Some golfers may prefer to carry a full set, while others may prefer to limit the number of clubs they carry. It's important to find what works best for you and your game.

wjemather

Visit site
Wow, aren’t you just amazing! The vast majority of amateurs are struggling to hit a 7 iron, and certainly aren’t capable of hitting anything longer. Maybe everyone should stick to pitch and putt and leave the proper courses empty for the tiny superior minority like you. 🙄
Other than most players struggling to hit longer irons (which is no secret), that is absolutely not what I am saying at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to play with 9 clubs when carrying in winter. There'll be 5 or 6 times on the round where the club you want isn't there, you make do with another one, and some of those times it's fine, other times it maybe costs you a shot. Overall the score probably isn't that much different - some weeks you'd be one or two worse with less clubs and other weeks you wouldn't. But I take 14 since you're allowed 14 and I'd rather have options.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I would have more than 20 clubs in my bag, if it were allowed.

But I would jump at any chance to play in a 4-club only comp and would quite fancy my chances at doing well.

I think that I would take 20d hybrid, 26d iron, 44d iron and putter.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I shot a 78 and an 80 around Lofoten Links carrying 8 clubs. Played most of last year, right up until about 3 weeks ago carrying 8 in a pencil bag.

Recently find playing 18 at Ladybank is really knackering us both out, so dug the old trolley out. Put the old bag on with 13 clubs, doesn’t change the scoring, or my speed of round (18 holes in 2.5 - 3 hrs) just changes what club I choose to use for any particular shot.

So no, I don’t need 14 clubs, but no harm in having them with me sometimes for different options.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4 clubs and a putter - how generous

There was a time at or club when it was two clubs and a putter .

It was only when the seniors took on the comp that it became 3 clubs and a putter.

What I have always objected to in these comps is being made to have a putter as one of the clubs.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
4 clubs and a putter - how generous

There was a time at or club when it was two clubs and a putter .

It was only when the seniors took on the comp that it became 3 clubs and a putter.

What I have always objected to in these comps is being made to have a putter as one of the clubs.
My hybrid identifies as a putter ;)

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I reckon I'd be happy enough with 8 clubs using the following lofts

Driver
Hybrid -22 deg
6 iron - 28 deg
8 iron- 36 deg
PW- 44 deg
50 degree
56 degree
Putter

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Driver
Hybrid -22 deg
6 iron - 28 deg
8 iron- 36 deg
PW- 44 deg
50 degree
56 degree
Putter

Other than swapping the 56 for a 9iron I could happily 'game' that set up most of the time (y)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Driver
Hybrid -22 deg
6 iron - 28 deg
8 iron- 36 deg
PW- 44 deg
50 degree
56 degree
Putter