Clubs missing, presumed unnecessary

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a Seniors trophy competition which is played annually at this time of year. The trophy was presented by a past member who had to give up playing some years ago, and he asked that players be limited to carrying and using only 4 clubs and a putter.

We played for the trophy yesterday. I predicted, based on results from previous years, that scores would differ very little from scores played using full sets.

Scores for Division 1 prize money winners were 39/37/35/34 points compared to 39/38/36/35 from the most recent stableford played with a full set. Division 2 scores were 36/34/34/34 yesterday compared to 38/37/35/31 with a full set.

Do we really need all those clubs we lug around the course?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I don’t think we do, but more so I also think the pace of play is always quicker with half sets.

We played a 5 club comp last week. I ended up on 35 points after a silly double on the last that had nothing to do with having the wrong clubs.

I reckon there were 3 times in the round i wish I'd had another club. And 2 of those were as the result of a poor previous shot that meant I had left myself a distance in that I wasn't anticipating.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
We have a Seniors trophy competition which is played annually at this time of year. The trophy was presented by a past member who had to give up playing some years ago, and he asked that players be limited to carrying and using only 4 clubs and a putter.

We played for the trophy yesterday. I predicted, based on results from previous years, that scores would differ very little from scores played using full sets.

Scores for Division 1 prize money winners were 39/37/35/34 points compared to 39/38/36/35 from the most recent stableford played with a full set. Division 2 scores were 36/34/34/34 yesterday compared to 38/37/35/31 with a full set.

Do we really need all those clubs we lug around the course?

I regularly play with only 8 clubs and it doesn't affect my ability to score at all. Definitely makes me more decisive.

I won our 3 club comp last year and came 3rd this year 😂

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its a good question.
In each division scores were 0.75 shots better. So on the face of it, there is a clear benefit to full bags.
More interesting possibly would be the average scores per division rather than the best ones. Would you have them ?
Best scores are biased towards those who coped well with the limitation - either through skill or luck, or good day with the putter. I will guess the averages of all players show a greater than 0.75 shot loss.
I think we all carry some clubs that are for occasional use. But help when rare. I have a 60 wedge only for rare shortsided pitches over a bunker or hard or wet sand in bunkers. Used once in 3 rounds maybe. But when I use it, I benefit from it.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Totally agree Jim. When carrying in the winter, I'll only have 5/6 clubs in the bag and probably score similarly to using a full set but, of course, I'll be far fresher on the finishing holes. I actually quite enjoy "manufacturing" shots. I rarely have more than 12/13 clubs in my trolley bag as I rarely need any more and, apparently, having a full set on a trolley would make me a slow player ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I played today with 14 clubs for the first time in many many many months - 34 points and I didn't use 5 of the clubs I lugged to the course

I usually take 9 or 10 in a carry bag and sometimes still don't use all of them

14 is too many

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find when I play with just odd number irons I always leave myself a 8/6 iron yardage.
this is good for your game it makes you think more.
14 is to many imo, 20yd club gapping would be better.
me playing a 60* is very rare but it’s in the bag just incase.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I very much doubt anyone would score as well if restricted to one club.
Equally I doubt many would notice a reduction from 14 to 13 clubs.
The question arises is how many clubs can you carry before you are on average a shot a round worse. As most people have a dispersion of well over 10 shots between their best and worst scores it would take quite a number of rounds to work it out.

wjemather

Visit site
I see no reason for the vast majority of amateurs to carry more than 10 clubs. There simply isn't a significant enough distance gap (<<10 yards) between consecutive irons/hybrids, and they generally can't hit any iron longer than a 6 or 7.

However, personally, I'd carry 17 clubs if I could - extra wood, long iron/hybrid and wedge.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just played a three clubs plus putter comp at my club this morning. 22pts after 11 holes, then only 6pts in the remaining seven holes. There were only a half dozen shots where I felt another club would have made a significant difference.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I find when I play with just odd number irons I always leave myself a 8/6 iron yardage.
this is good for your game it makes you think more.
14 is to many imo, 20yd club gapping would be better.
me playing a 60* is very rare but it’s in the bag just incase.

Yeah I think if we were able to buy loft gaps we 'wanted' for irons then instead of 5-SW being 8 clubs with an average of 4.5 degree gapping as I have, I would be happy with an average 6.5 degree gapping and just need 6 iron clubs and not notice any missed gaps in my distances

Add putter, driver, FW & hybrid and only 10 clubs needed