Who's going to be RC Captain ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Why skip over it ? The football analogy has been used to justify the players moving to LiV ?

Is it not a case if Stenson wanting the best of both worlds ? Everything suited for him as opposed to what suits the ET Ryder Cup ?

Can you really not see why they wouldn’t want their captain to be involved in what’s essentially right now a rival Tour that’s threatening the ET ? Why on Earth would they allow their Captain to go off to the LiV tour ? The LIV events are at the same time as some ET events - surely the captain should be fully focused on that or the PGA event where some of his players will be playing ?

It’s not petty , it’s not silly - it’s very sensible to remove him from the captaincy - Stenson had a choice , and he picked the money ?, that’s his choice at the end of the day , but he and indeed all the others can’t have their cake on all sides of the fence , they make their choices knowing the potential consequences so it’s now up to them to live with them

And I suspect most of them have already that level of money to set themselves up .
So, it is OK for the Captain to play on the PGA Tour, a rival Tour to the European Tour, that holds events at the same time as ET events. And, your only justification is that is OK, some of his players will be playing there? I bet you wouldn't make that justification for LIV, if some of the best Europeans played on that and Stenson could have seen how they were playing.

That one paragraph screams of someone trying to carefully script an argument to completely back their point, and completely blind to the contradictions within it.

D

Deleted member 15344

So, it is OK for the Captain to play on the PGA Tour, a rival Tour to the European Tour, that holds events at the same time as ET events. And, your only justification is that is OK, some of his players will be playing there? I bet you wouldn't make that justification for LIV, if some of the best Europeans played on that and Stenson could have seen how they were playing.

That one paragraph screams of someone trying to carefully script an argument to completely back their point, and completely blind to the contradictions within it.

The PGA tour and ET have been working together for years ?‍♂️ They aren’t “rivals” - they are both established tours with a long standing relationship - I can’t recall the last time the PGA paid European players just to come and play their events ?

surely the difference is quite clear ?‍♂️ - players can still earn RC points playing on the PGA tour can’t they ?

There is no relationship between LIV Tour and any Tour apart from the Asian Tour

Do the ET and LIV work together ? Have I missed something?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The PGA tour and ET have been working together for years ?‍♂️ They aren’t “rivals” - they are both established tours with a long standing relationship
Hmmm.
The relationship between the US and European tour is very much one-way.
Rich country which executes its prisoners, wages various dubious oversees wars/insurrections entices Euro golfers with bigger paychecks?
There's not much moral highground in top level sports.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone who can’t see why the ET don’t want their captain playing on the LIV tour is being deliberately obtuse. Whether you’re against LIV or in favour of it, it’s pretty obvious and understandable why they’ve got rid of him.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hmmm.
Rich country which executes its prisoners, wages various dubious oversees wars/insurrections entices Euro golfers with bigger paychecks?

Just one small difference to point out

The PGA tour is not funded by the US government that executes its prisoners

The PGA tour don’t offer a European player £200mil just to come and play

LIV golf tour is funded directly by the Saudi Government who do execute prisoners etc

It’s just small subtle differences

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The PGA tour don’t offer a European player £200mil just to come and play
I'm not entirely sure why the payment model makes a difference. The PGA tour has entirely drained the Euro tour of talent over the years by offering more money. The mechanism hardly seems the stuff of schisms.
As for the PGA tour - it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It only makes moral judgements when it feels threatened by someone with more money.
If you think that any top level sport is anything other than washing of reputations for any of the sponsors, I have a bridge to sell you. Doesn't make it good. Doesn't mean I like it, but spare us the clutching of pearls.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not entirely sure why the payment model makes a difference. The PGA tour has entirely drained the Euro tour of talent over the years by offering more money. The mechanism hardly seems the stuff of schisms.
As for the PGA tour - it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It only makes moral judgements when it feels threatened by someone with more money.
If you think that any top level sport is anything other than washing of reputations for any of the sponsors, I have a bridge to sell you. Doesn't make it good. Doesn't mean I like it, but spare us the clutching of pearls.

I don’t think the PGA tours or indeed anyone is whiter than white - you mentioned about executing people etc within the US but that’s nothing to do with the PGA Tour - that’s the US government hence why I think it’s a key but subtle difference

As for the money - PGA tour players earn their money through performance- the better you play the more financially better you will be - LIV - good number of players can turn up be horrific and still be millionaires- another subtle difference

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The football analogy is interesting but I'd actually liken it more to the FA saying you can't play for England if you aren't playing in the Premier League.

Coincidentally a few of the top rugby nations do exactly this (England and New Zealand in particular are strict on this) whereby you cant play for your country unless you're plying your trade in your home league. They too have had similar threats of lawsuits due to restriction of free trades etc. I don't think anything ever came of them though.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don’t think the PGA tours or indeed anyone is whiter than white - you mentioned about executing people etc within the US but that’s nothing to do with the PGA Tour - that’s the US government hence why I think it’s a key but subtle difference

As for the money - PGA tour players earn their money through performance- the better you play the more financially better you will be - LIV - good number of players can turn up be horrific and still be millionaires- another subtle difference

Broadly agree, however would you agree that the PGA Tour PIP programme doesn't fit that model?

The Fed Ex play-offs could be viewed as twisting the model somewhat also - yes players need to have played a lot, and pretty well, to be there but there have been occasions where arguably the player who took the most cash wasn't the one who played the best on the tour for the year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Broadly agree, however would you agree that the PGA Tour PIP programme doesn't fit that model?

The Fed Ex play-offs could be viewed as twisting the model somewhat also - yes players need to have played a lot, and pretty well, to be there but there have been occasions where arguably the player who took the most cash wasn't the one who played the best on the tour for the year.

I think the PIP program is poor - that’s just a money grab and it’s not surprise who one of the persons demanding it was

sunshine

Visit site
Because it was total nonsense. Players are contracted exclusively to their clubs and play in competitions their club qualifies for. Whereas golfers play for themselves and have played whatever events suit them.

I'm not knocking any golfer for taking the deal and doing what's best for them. If someone offered me twice my wages and every Friday off I'd probably take it as well.

But the golfers are contracted to the ET or PGA Tour. So the Ryder Cup teams are only going to comprise contracted players.

sunshine

Visit site
The football analogy is interesting but I'd actually liken it more to the FA saying you can't play for England if you aren't playing in the Premier League.

Coincidentally a few of the top rugby nations do exactly this (England and New Zealand in particular are strict on this) whereby you cant play for your country unless you're plying your trade in your home league. They too have had similar threats of lawsuits due to restriction of free trades etc. I don't think anything ever came of them though.

This is an interesting point.
I think Liv golfers should be able to represent their country in open events eg the olympics.
I don’t see the Ryder Cup as the same, it’s a closed private event.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hmmm.
Touché