New and some advice needed!

TigerTime

Visit site
Hi folks,

Will start with a little background if that's alright. I played for 2 years pretty consistently about 5 years ago. Was never a member of a club or had a handicap. I played with a package set and then upgraded over time by myself with a mix of second hand/new clubs. Never had a lesson, was never fitted. I'd shoot anywhere between 80-100 truthfully depending on how I was feeling physically/mentally. I've never been the fittest bloke but I'm probably 'below average' on the fitness scale. On a good day where I'm feeling fit and concentrating I'd do pretty well and hit low 80s. IIRC my lowest score was 80 on a par 72 but that was only ever once (also with a buggy - coincidence or saved energy?) I played with a good group of mates but after the second year they all slowly started tailing off from playing and eventually was left on my own. I played a few rounds on my own but it was never the same and eventually I stopped playing too. Sold all my clubs and sorta forgot about it. I've always retained an interest and last summer a couple of those lapsed mates started playing again, so I went onto facebook marketplace and bought a set for £30 (sports direct dunlop thing) just so I could play.They have stopped playing again but I've decided instead of giving up I'm going to keep on going. Work aside I have quite alot of free time so why not!

I've been hitting the driving range twice a week, playing once/twice a week (I just find a cheap tee time online). Actually quite enjoying playing on my own. It's helping me concentrate and if I duff one I'll just drop another and play it again. I plan on joining a club soon too. I've been using this cheap second hand set the whole time but I figure if I'm going to do this properly I should look at improving and of course newer clubs. I live fairly close to Scott Gourlays fitting studio and I've read good things so I got in touch and have booked in for a fitting. They are going to look at all my clubs and work out where I could improve first which sounds good to me. To be fair they also said if they feel I'd be better off getting lessons than newer clubs then they would say. So really looking forward to that, shame its a month away. Scoring wise since I resumed playing it's been a fairly mixed bag. Not quite hit the heights of a few years ago and even had a round of 100 in the mix but the more I play and practice I know I can get the scoring down again. I had two dropped shots on the 18th that round which took it to 100. Last 4 rounds have been 88-94-100-89. Fitness wise I'm actually less fit than I was years ago so I know I have alot of work to do there but that'll take time :p

Also want to add, I know alot of people play hybrids these days, but I have zero confidence in them, I actually prefer hitting the longer irons and I hit them fairly well.

I figure I'll need lessons if I want to seriously improve but wouldn't know where to start or if anyone wants to recommend someone in the Lothians that would be great. I'm going to keep active on the forum and look forward to participating in some discussions!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Visit site
Welcome back to the game. I don't know your age, but I think golf is the one sport where age isn't a major factor. Assuming you stay relatively healthy, you can play well into your 80s. I believe there are two important aspects to the game. One is to build a swing that is consistent enough to instill confidence. Knowing what you can and cannot do is imperative. The other aspect is course management. I've heard it said that a par made with a slice off the tee and a topped iron onto the green beats a bogey made by Tiger Woods. Granted we all want to play like the guys and girls we see on TV, but golf is a game of "how many"; not "how". My advice is focus on the short game. Chipping and putting strokes usually make up for half (if not more) of your score. Newer equipment and lessons will certainly help. However, one cannot buy a game. Lord knows I've tried. As Ben Hogan said "the answer is in the dirt" meaning practice made him better and that will work for you as well. Good luck and hang in there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be simply to invest in a few lessons now and get the basics right. From there you can look at updating your kit and in my opinion would then be in a better position in terms of a more consistent swing if you fancied getting a fit as Scott Gourlay

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree that you must practice what your pro identifies as nessesary.
You seem to have thought about it and having a fitting is very sensible.
Just a word of caution , if you are changing your swing depending on what your lessons throw up Wait.
Buying clubs now might be Great but they may not suit you in six months.
A quality half set of ebay will do to your specs.
A good fitter will see this if you explain it to him, maybe go back after time when your swing has settled down.
Good luck with this .
HoganMan is correct short game is key .
But an all round game is nice to have.
Just try to enjoy it.

TigerTime

Visit site
I have faith in the guys down at SGGT based on what I've read online and word of mouth. If they believe that lessons would be better for me at this stage I'm okay with that. I'd still love to see the data though, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

I do need different clubs, this cheap set I have is all over the place with different shafts,grips etc. I don't have to have 'new' if it is a second hand set that I create myself over time I know that would increase performance a little bit I'd be fine with that until I improved.

Short game in particular is dreadful, I used to just use a 52 degree wedge for everything around the green and I really need to learn the different type of shots to play there and how to play them correctly with different clubs. Maybe a wedge fitting is all I need just now and after lessons I can take a look at woods and irons next year. Can get the wedge fitting and get practicing around the greens. My putting I'd say is okay. I very rarely 3-putt. Most are 2 or 1.

Thanks for all your advice, have taken on board.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have faith in the guys down at SGGT based on what I've read online and word of mouth. If they believe that lessons would be better for me at this stage I'm okay with that. I'd still love to see the data though, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

I do need different clubs, this cheap set I have is all over the place with different shafts,grips etc. I don't have to have 'new' if it is a second hand set that I create myself over time I know that would increase performance a little bit I'd be fine with that until I improved.

Short game in particular is dreadful, I used to just use a 52 degree wedge for everything around the green and I really need to learn the different type of shots to play there and how to play them correctly with different clubs. Maybe a wedge fitting is all I need just now and after lessons I can take a look at woods and irons next year. Can get the wedge fitting and get practicing around the greens. My putting I'd say is okay. I very rarely 3-putt. Most are 2 or 1.

Thanks for all your advice, have taken on board.

Short game is key and you have to be able to play an array of shots from the high one to the low running chip. I would get short games lessons early on and discuss things like bounce with the pro dependent on your chipping action and the type of course you play (links, parkland etc)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi folks,

Will start with a little background if that's alright. I played for 2 years pretty consistently about 5 years ago. Was never a member of a club or had a handicap. I played with a package set and then upgraded over time by myself with a mix of second hand/new clubs. Never had a lesson, was never fitted. I'd shoot anywhere between 80-100 truthfully depending on how I was feeling physically/mentally. I've never been the fittest bloke but I'm probably 'below average' on the fitness scale. On a good day where I'm feeling fit and concentrating I'd do pretty well and hit low 80s. IIRC my lowest score was 80 on a par 72 but that was only ever once (also with a buggy - coincidence or saved energy?) I played with a good group of mates but after the second year they all slowly started tailing off from playing and eventually was left on my own. I played a few rounds on my own but it was never the same and eventually I stopped playing too. Sold all my clubs and sorta forgot about it. I've always retained an interest and last summer a couple of those lapsed mates started playing again, so I went onto facebook marketplace and bought a set for £30 (sports direct dunlop thing) just so I could play.They have stopped playing again but I've decided instead of giving up I'm going to keep on going. Work aside I have quite alot of free time so why not!

I've been hitting the driving range twice a week, playing once/twice a week (I just find a cheap tee time online). Actually quite enjoying playing on my own. It's helping me concentrate and if I duff one I'll just drop another and play it again. I plan on joining a club soon too. I've been using this cheap second hand set the whole time but I figure if I'm going to do this properly I should look at improving and of course newer clubs. I live fairly close to Scott Gourlays fitting studio and I've read good things so I got in touch and have booked in for a fitting. They are going to look at all my clubs and work out where I could improve first which sounds good to me. To be fair they also said if they feel I'd be better off getting lessons than newer clubs then they would say. So really looking forward to that, shame its a month away. Scoring wise since I resumed playing it's been a fairly mixed bag. Not quite hit the heights of a few years ago and even had a round of 100 in the mix but the more I play and practice I know I can get the scoring down again. I had two dropped shots on the 18th that round which took it to 100. Last 4 rounds have been 88-94-100-89. Fitness wise I'm actually less fit than I was years ago so I know I have alot of work to do there but that'll take time :p

Also want to add, I know alot of people play hybrids these days, but I have zero confidence in them, I actually prefer hitting the longer irons and I hit them fairly well.

I figure I'll need lessons if I want to seriously improve but wouldn't know where to start or if anyone wants to recommend someone in the Lothians that would be great. I'm going to keep active on the forum and look forward to participating in some discussions!

Cheers.

That's great GG,

Clubs wise, I'd say getting a fitting and new shineys is not the best use of any cash you have. Problem with fitting is you buy current model stuff... £400 for a Driver, £130 for a wedge, £900 for irons etc. So the prices add up quickly and before you know it, £2,000 has been spanked and you're still taking 3 shots to duff it into the front bunker.

I'd 100% say that second hand gear is the way to go. Regular / neutral kit and put it in the bag and just play. I'd hope that Scott Gourlay would point you in this direction and let you try some 2nd hand gear, rather than pricing up hundreds of pounds worth of stuff that imo, would be overkill at this stage.

Absolutely get lessons, they will yield far better value than new clubs and a bank of 10 lessons over the autumn / winter will probably cost the same as a new driver.

TigerTime

Visit site
That's great GG,

Clubs wise, I'd say getting a fitting and new shineys is not the best use of any cash you have. Problem with fitting is you buy current model stuff... £400 for a Driver, £130 for a wedge, £900 for irons etc. So the prices add up quickly and before you know it, £2,000 has been spanked and you're still taking 3 shots to duff it into the front bunker.

I'd 100% say that second hand gear is the way to go. Regular / neutral kit and put it in the bag and just play. I'd hope that Scott Gourlay would point you in this direction and let you try some 2nd hand gear, rather than pricing up hundreds of pounds worth of stuff that imo, would be overkill at this stage.

Absolutely get lessons, they will yield far better value than new clubs and a bank of 10 lessons over the autumn / winter will probably cost the same as a new driver.

Yeah, I am leaning towards this now. I'm still gonna go along to the fitting and see what they say, and so I get the data. Curious to see it, and also I'll keep a record of it so I can compare in say a years time. By all accounts I have confidence that SGGT would point me in the right direction whether that be lessons, second hand etc.

I'm looking into lessons, would you recommend short game lessons first?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I am leaning towards this now. I'm still gonna go along to the fitting and see what they say, and so I get the data. Curious to see it, and also I'll keep a record of it so I can compare in say a years time. By all accounts I have confidence that SGGT would point me in the right direction whether that be lessons, second hand etc.

I'm looking into lessons, would you recommend short game lessons first?

I'd say think of it as 3 sections - full swing, short game and putting.

People do tend to be preoccupied with Driving and it can be soul destroying if you aren't getting the ball in play and are in fear of swinging the driver - especially if you are playing medals. But if you are comfortable that this area is too destructive, then definitely ask a coach to help you with other areas.

A good coach will give you the basics with the full swing, in terms of grip, ball position, posture etc.
Short game is probably the best area to help with scoring and it should not be ignored but if you are prepared to commit to a coach at a range (or with a sim) and go for 5 or 6 lessons, I would imagine you will be pleasantly surprised in the results and how quickly you can 'raise your floor' in terms of scoring.

Short game at the range I feel is ok, but there's no substitute for getting time on turf, hitting to real greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd say think of it as 3 sections - full swing, short game and putting.

People do tend to be preoccupied with Driving and it can be soul destroying if you aren't getting the ball in play and are in fear of swinging the driver - especially if you are playing medals. But if you are comfortable that this area is too destructive, then definitely ask a coach to help you with other areas.

A good coach will give you the basics with the full swing, in terms of grip, ball position, posture etc.
Short game is probably the best area to help with scoring and it should not be ignored but if you are prepared to commit to a coach at a range (or with a sim) and go for 5 or 6 lessons, I would imagine you will be pleasantly surprised in the results and how quickly you can 'raise your floor' in terms of scoring.

Short game at the range I feel is ok, but there's no substitute for getting time on turf, hitting to real greens.

I think you make some good points. Especially the last sentence. I think it's so important to learn to play different shots and experiment with bad lies and working out what you can and can't do.

TigerTime

Visit site
Well, thanks folks.

I've decided to reschedule the fitting for the new year, and have contacted a local pro for lessons, beginning on Saturday with a 2 hour game assessment lesson and introduction.

Since I'm not being fitted, I'll now be looking for a bag and a 3 wheel trolley. Just have a pencil bag which is utterly horrendous to carry around. Not bothered about branding with this just want it to look nice. I like the Titleist Cart 14 so something along those lines would be cool if anyone has any recommendations?

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well, thanks folks.

I've decided to reschedule the fitting for the new year, and have contacted a local pro for lessons, beginning on Saturday with a 2 hour game assessment lesson and introduction.

Since I'm not being fitted, I'll now be looking for a bag and a 3 wheel trolley. Just have a pencil bag which is utterly horrendous to carry around. Not bothered about branding with this just want it to look nice. I like the Titleist Cart 14 so something along those lines would be cool if anyone has any recommendations?

I think you're being wise. Over here in the US most all fittings equip one with the current models. Since most OEMs introduce their latest and greatest in January or February I always recommend against fittings in the Fall or early Winter. You can probably find a bag and trolley online that won't be that expensive. As far as clubs go your instructor can take a look at what you have an recommend adding or subtracting clubs that don't fit your swing.