Who's going to be RC Captain ?

D

Deleted member 3432

I appreciate that. But, I didn't want to create a huge list of all European Players inside the top 200 / 300 etc. I was simply listing the highest rank players, as they are the current players that could be most likely to make the team. Especially the top half of the team. Form between now and the Ryder Cup could mean some of the lower ranked players dropping into oblivion, while some others (or rookies) might fly into attention in the next year.

The point is, Europe's top players are more than likely going to be PGA Tour players, and hopefully any Captain can be in a position to get the best out of them, and let that flow through the rest of the team.

You need a USA PGA career player to get the best out our PGA Tour players?

How on earth did McGinley, Torrance or Monty captain winning teams considering how little golf they played over the pond?

Swango1980

Visit site
You need a USA PGA career player to get the best out our PGA Tour players?

How on earth did McGinley, Torrance or Monty captain winning teams considering how little golf they played over the pond?
They had a very high standing within the European team, given their past records as players. Just like Luke Donald.

However, back when they were captains, did many of Europe's top players not also play more in Europe anyway? I can't be bothered to go back and look at all player records, and see how often they played on each tour and when. But, I seem to remember the likes of Westwood, Donald, Poulter, Molinari, etc played a lot more of their golf in Europe. I'm sure Monty and McGinley had got to know all the best players on their teams through their years on the European Tour anyway? Sam Torrance was captain in 2002, and had players like Monty, Harrington, Clarke, Westwood, McGinley, Bjorn, etc. Where they not all playing most of their golf on the European Tour in those days anyway?

It is now 2022, with the Ryder Cup in 2023. Surely it is now a case that all Europe's top players, in the prime of their career, have pretty much been full-time PGA Tour players as soon as they came to prominence? That wasn't the case in most previous Ryder Cups.

D

Deleted member 3432

They had a very high standing within the European team, given their past records as players. Just like Luke Donald.

However, back when they were captains, did many of Europe's top players not also play more in Europe anyway? I can't be bothered to go back and look at all player records, and see how often they played on each tour and when. But, I seem to remember the likes of Westwood, Donald, Poulter, Molinari, etc played a lot more of their golf in Europe. I'm sure Monty and McGinley had got to know all the best players on their teams through their years on the European Tour anyway? Sam Torrance was captain in 2002, and had players like Monty, Harrington, Clarke, Westwood, McGinley, Bjorn, etc. Where they not all playing most of their golf on the European Tour in those days anyway?

It is now 2022, with the Ryder Cup in 2023. Surely it is now a case that all Europe's top players, in the prime of their career, have pretty much been full-time PGA Tour players as soon as they came to prominence? That wasn't the case in most previous Ryder Cups.

That last paragraph is an interesting one.

Maybe the Ryder Cup has run its course if its PGA Tour v PGA Tour?

Swango1980

Visit site
That last paragraph is an interesting one.

Maybe the Ryder Cup has run its course if its PGA Tour v PGA Tour?
This is a point I made a few weeks ago (not on this thread probably).

Not that it has run its course. Simply, I have never seen it as PGA Tour versus European Tour. I appreciate that it may have started that way. However, McIlroy is illegible for the US Team, and now US player could play all their golf on the European Tour and represent Europe. I know qualification requires a certain amount of appearances on each tour. However, I have always seen it as simply Europe versus USA.

In the same way if I was to watch Northern Ireland Football Team versus England. I still passionately support N Ireland, and don't see it as England v England just because most of the NI players play at English clubs.

D

Deleted member 3432

This is a point I made a few weeks ago (not on this thread probably).

Not that it has run its course. Simply, I have never seen it as PGA Tour versus European Tour. I appreciate that it may have started that way. However, McIlroy is illegible for the US Team, and now US player could play all their golf on the European Tour and represent Europe. I know qualification requires a certain amount of appearances on each tour. However, I have always seen it as simply Europe versus USA.

In the same way if I was to watch Northern Ireland Football Team versus England. I still passionately support N Ireland, and don't see it as England v England just because most of the NI players play at English clubs.

The Ryder Cup ensures the ET is financially viable, it's screwed without it.

It needs to stop the migration of its players to other tours or its revenue stream will go. Players are needing fewer and fewer appearances in a ET event to ensure qualifying for the team.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It needs to stop the migration of its players to other tours or its revenue stream will go. Players are needing fewer and fewer appearances in a ET event to ensure qualifying for the team.
They need to reverse this and also reduce the points given for Majors so that someone who basically doesn't play the tour can still rock up the Race to Dubai in the top 3. They need to value their product more, stop giving it away.

Swango1980

Visit site

The ET may need the Ryder Cup to an extent (although I'm sure the European Tour would exist without it, albeit with even lesser quality than it has now perhaps). However, the Ryder Cup does not need the European Tour, if fans still see it as a grudge match of USA versus Europe.

D

Deleted member 15344

The European Tour isn’t screwed without the Ryder Cup

For decades - since the early 90’s the players have been moving to play in the US

Since the move the European Team has gotten stronger and that’s reflected in the results since the mid 90’s - think unbeaten on home solid since

The Ryder Cup next year will be as successful as all the previous ones , missing a couple of players won’t make a difference the event is bigger than those that have left

But players will always move to look to play more events in the US - everything is set up there for them to move forward in their careers , it’s not going to change and the ET won’t force players not to leave

There will be a lot of young hungry players over the next 18 months fighting for RC places through the ET

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Growing up it always felt like the European tour vs the PGA, the dynamics have changed considerably the last few years though.
Good luck to Luke though, I think they are probably going to need it.

D

Deleted member 3432

The European Tour isn’t screwed without the Ryder Cup

For decades - since the early 90’s the players have been moving to play in the US

Since the move the European Team has gotten stronger and that’s reflected in the results since the mid 90’s - think unbeaten on home solid since

The Ryder Cup next year will be as successful as all the previous ones , missing a couple of players won’t make a difference the event is bigger than those that have left

But players will always move to look to play more events in the US - everything is set up there for them to move forward in their careers , it’s not going to change and the ET won’t force players not to leave

There will be a lot of young hungry players over the next 18 months fighting for RC places through the ET

The ET runs at a loss every non RC year. Home RC are what allows it to continue to operate.

The way the Tour is heading I see it becoming weaker and future Ryder Cups that are one sided affairs as they were before the introduction of Seve and a generation of talent that had hunger and desire to show the Americans who didn't want Seve et al playing on the US Tour just how good they were.