Nick Dougherty
Nigel Edwards
Jamie Elson
Michael Hoey
Graeme McDowell
Steven O'Hara
Marc Warren
Gary Wolstenholme
Richard McEvoy (no relation to non-playing captain)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The devil in me can’t help reading luke’s statements after his appointment and seeing him talk about the importance of ‘growing the game’ and being ‘part of a team’ etc… but making no mention of the 7 figure fee he’s just signed up for
(he’s gonna pocket about the same for this one gig as his total tour winnings for the last 5/6 years!) :devilish:

On a more serious note, Good luck to him though (y)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The devil in me can’t help reading luke’s statements after his appointment and seeing him talk about the importance of ‘growing the game’ and being ‘part of a team’ etc… but making no mention of the 7 figure fee he’s just signed up for
(he’s gonna pocket about the same for this one gig as his total tour winnings for the last 5/6 years!) :devilish:

On a more serious note, Good luck to him though (y)

And so he should, it’s an 18 month job not 3 days.

D

Deleted member 3432

Wonder how many of our potential team he actually knows?

Has he actually played in any European Tour events in the last 10 years?....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Expect to see him on the DP more from now on...
Plus..a fair few will have played over there recently..plus there's this thing called the internet..amazing what you can find on there;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

How many of the team will come from the ET? I don't mean the ones who leave in the US, come back and play a token amount, the ones who genuinely play most of their comps on it. Sadly, all too few.

I suppose part of the pay is to get him to come across and play more ET events to familiarise himself with more players who could well make the team this team around.

D

Deleted member 3432

Expect to see him on the DP more from now on...
Plus..a fair few will have played over there recently..plus there's this thing called the internet..amazing what you can find on there;)

He's not exactly supported the Tour though has he?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Personally I think a loyal ET stalwart who wants to stick it to the Yanks would have been a better appointment.

Appointed because he was a 'name' at one point in his career.

D

Deleted member 1147

Before Stenson was selected I read quotes/statements from Bjorn, Harrington & Montgomerie, all suggesting that they thought Donald would make a good captain.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Personally I think a loyal ET stalwart who wants to stick it to the Yanks would have been a better appointment.

I don't think any of the top guys support the ET any more, that ship has sailed. They do the minimum but no more.

A good number of stalwarts of the team, all really too old now but definite captain material, have left for LIV and so the market for future captains has definitely opened wide up. Maybe we will see a move towards ET based captains going forwards? I hope so, I'd like that. It would be a reward for sticking with the tour. After all, it is supposed to be PGA tour v ET isn't it?

Swango1980

Visit site

Europe's top golfers (not on LIV, that I am aware of):

3. McIlroy
5. Rahm
9. Hovland
10. Fitzpatrick
24. Lowry
26. Fleetwood
27. Hatton
35. Pieters
36. Power
52. Rose
53. Noren
60. Meronk

I'm guessing most of the guys will be on the PGA Tour, and Donald will know the biggest players very well. That is going to be key, as he'll want to get the best out of them. Could backfire if someone came in, that didn't know the top players as well, and was unable to get the best out of them. Basically, he is going to want those top 5 or 6 players to feel great about themselves and how they play within that team, so knowing them personally is key. However, I've no doubt he will spend a lot of time over the next year mixing in with the European Tour, and getting to know some of the emerging players coming from there.

D

Deleted member 3432

Europe's top golfers (not on LIV, that I am aware of):

3. McIlroy
5. Rahm
9. Hovland
10. Fitzpatrick
24. Lowry
26. Fleetwood
27. Hatton
35. Pieters
36. Power
52. Rose
53. Noren
60. Meronk

I'm guessing most of the guys will be on the PGA Tour, and Donald will know the biggest players very well. That is going to be key, as he'll want to get the best out of them. Could backfire if someone came in, that didn't know the top players as well, and was unable to get the best out of them. Basically, he is going to want those top 5 or 6 players to feel great about themselves and how they play within that team, so knowing them personally is key. However, I've no doubt he will spend a lot of time over the next year mixing in with the European Tour, and getting to know some of the emerging players coming from there.

European team qualification is not usually World Ranking based, just a part of it.

Interesting that Power only joined ET in March....?????

Swango1980

Visit site
European team qualification is not usually World Ranking based, just a part of it.

Interesting that Power only joined ET in March....?????
I appreciate that. But, I didn't want to create a huge list of all European Players inside the top 200 / 300 etc. I was simply listing the highest rank players, as they are the current players that could be most likely to make the team. Especially the top half of the team. Form between now and the Ryder Cup could mean some of the lower ranked players dropping into oblivion, while some others (or rookies) might fly into attention in the next year.

The point is, Europe's top players are more than likely going to be PGA Tour players, and hopefully any Captain can be in a position to get the best out of them, and let that flow through the rest of the team.