Who's going to be RC Captain ?

Red devil

Visit site
Given that its only going to be a Ryder Cup tribute band, I love the idea of Bjorn Again. Ryder Cup is a non event now with players already barred. Maybe there will be a resolution in the civil war before it comes around, but it is the only sure casualty of the LIV venture so far.
I'm thinking that!
Anyone want to buy 2x weekly tickets?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Given that its only going to be a Ryder Cup tribute band, I love the idea of Bjorn Again. Ryder Cup is a non event now with players already barred. Maybe there will be a resolution in the civil war before it comes around, but it is the only sure casualty of the LIV venture so far.

the tribute band will still be watched by millions more than LIV on youtube mind

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There won't be any asterisk in my book.

Nor in mine, the teams are made up of the best available golfers at the time within the given criteria. No matter if some are excluded by tour choice etc, you still have the 2 best available teams. As for captain, I can see it being someone who has retired or at least moved to the seniors tour so there is no chance of another attempt to sign them up to LIV.

D

Deleted member 3432

Seems to be several well qualified on here that could do the job....?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think the Europe team has lost anybody they would or should have picked. Westwood, Poulter, Garcia, GMac, Casey, Stenson, Wiesberger.

Maybe Canter or Horsfield would have been a contender.

The US have lost Reed, Koepka, BdC, DJ, ...

evemccc

Visit site
Everyone who’s gone to LIV - on both sides of the Atlantic - is a has-been and nobody moves the needle - so it’s all-square basically and golf fans haven’t lost out

The Lion

Visit site
I like Donald, but agree with many on here he’d be ideal for the US in 2025, now the likes of Poults, GMac, Westy, Casey etc won’t be in the running.

For me Francesco Molinari. Yes it’s risky as he may be coming back into form, but he’s a popular player, it’s the first ever RC in Italy and he’s a big name. A stable and solid pair of hands at a tough time!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
World Tour probably has to wait until the dust settles. No need for a hasty appointment. A weeks notice is plenty, especially for one of the vice capains who will be already there - how many are there anyway, 12 or 14 ? Being generally minor over-the-hill, they are probably in the high risk category for defection though, so there is that risk.

D

Deleted member 15344

In what way is it a “non event” - it’s prob the biggest event behind the majors and will be again next year regardless of which players are on the LIV Tour - the big main players will still be there

I don't think Hernrik has sold his soul not for one minute....

Maybe Rory will take the captaincy on, I hope so as he has a habit of getting involved in things lately and him leading Europe to defeat sounds good to me. But something tells me Rory will be jumping shop soon also.

If taking a big pile of money instead of Captaining the Ryder Cup isn’t selling your soul then I’m not sure what is - good to see you’re still Rory’s number 1 fan

sunshine

Visit site

Total hyperbole.

I can’t see any Liv players that would have made the European team. Zero impact.

The US have lost a few, but most of them have been injured or out of form so quite likely they might not have made the team anyway. There is so much depth in US golf with a strong younger generation coming through, they will have a formidable team.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is it possible, that whoever Europe pick, LIV will then think it could be a good idea to offer that person silly money to play on LIV, with the offer only on the table in the period before the Ryder Cup?

I can imagine someone like Luke Donald agreeing to be Ryder Cup captain, and then LIV contacting Donald and offering him £100 million plus to join LIV. He is clearly not worth it based on his current playing abilities (well, no one is, but he isn't worth it relative to what others were paid). It seems like LIV would quite fancy those sorts of "dirty" tactics, and continuing to shaking up the golf world as we know it by stealing another Ryder Cup Captain.

You'd hope the next Ryder Cup captain would strictly say no to LIV, but given it will be someone who is not in the prime of their career, I can imagine LIV could be very attractive to many potential Captains at the stage they are in with their career.

If the above is at all considered a big concern in the Captain's pick, I actually wouldn't be against having an outside bet on McIlroy or Rahm being the next Captain.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it possible, that whoever Europe pick, LIV will then think it could be a good idea to offer that person silly money to play on LIV, with the offer only on the table in the period before the Ryder Cup?

I can imagine someone like Luke Donald agreeing to be Ryder Cup captain, and then LIV contacting Donald and offering him £100 million plus to join LIV. He is clearly not worth it based on his current playing abilities (well, no one is, but he isn't worth it relative to what others were paid). It seems like LIV would quite fancy those sorts of "dirty" tactics, and continuing to shaking up the golf world as we know it by stealing another Ryder Cup Captain.

You'd hope the next Ryder Cup captain would strictly say no to LIV, but given it will be someone who is not in the prime of their career, I can imagine LIV could be very attractive to many potential Captains at the stage they are in with their career.

If the above is at all considered a big concern in the Captain's pick, I actually wouldn't be against having an outside bet on McIlroy or Rahm being the next Captain.
I think after this debacle Ryder Cup Europe would very firmly cover their arse contractually on the next appointment. Put some watertight clauses in there saying they can sue the candidate if they also jump ship, or such-and-such. They're not going to get burned twice.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think after this debacle Ryder Cup Europe would very firmly cover their arse contractually on the next appointment. Put some watertight clauses in there saying they can sue the candidate if they also jump ship, or such-and-such. They're not going to get burned twice.
Probably. I wonder how appealing the Ryder Cup captain job would be to sign up to? Please be Ryder Cup Captain for us, but if you accept a huge amount of money after appointed, we will sue your ass. Very messy situation already.