Who's going to be RC Captain ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably. I wonder how appealing the Ryder Cup captain job would be to sign up to? Please be Ryder Cup Captain for us, but if you accept a huge amount of money after appointed, we will sue your ass. Very messy situation already.
Well, yeah. It would have to be someone who is staunchly against the LIV Tour, and someone who doesn't mind knowing they were a back-up option.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it possible, that whoever Europe pick, LIV will then think it could be a good idea to offer that person silly money to play on LIV, with the offer only on the table in the period before the Ryder Cup?

I can imagine someone like Luke Donald agreeing to be Ryder Cup captain, and then LIV contacting Donald and offering him £100 million plus to join LIV. He is clearly not worth it based on his current playing abilities (well, no one is, but he isn't worth it relative to what others were paid). It seems like LIV would quite fancy those sorts of "dirty" tactics, and continuing to shaking up the golf world as we know it by stealing another Ryder Cup Captain.

You'd hope the next Ryder Cup captain would strictly say no to LIV, but given it will be someone who is not in the prime of their career, I can imagine LIV could be very attractive to many potential Captains at the stage they are in with their career.

If the above is at all considered a big concern in the Captain's pick, I actually wouldn't be against having an outside bet on McIlroy or Rahm being the next Captain.

i don’t think there is ever going to be any level of scope for a current top level player to take on the role - needs to dedicate a lot of time away from the course

There will still be plenty if Europeans who believe the honour is bigger than the pay packet from LIV

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, yeah. It would have to be someone who is staunchly against the LIV Tour, and someone who doesn't mind knowing they were a back-up option.
Liverpoolphil could do it, based on that criteria

Haha, I posted this comment, and when I hit Post saw Liverpoolphil had beat me to it by responding. I'm good at this game.

Swango1980

Visit site
i don’t think there is ever going to be any level of scope for a current top level player to take on the role - needs to dedicate a lot of time away from the course

There will still be plenty if Europeans who believe the honour is bigger than the pay packet from LIV
There might well be, but who. I'm sure some people might have thought that about Stenson, which proved false. It is impossible to know, until that player receives and refuses a huge offer from LIV. Maybe there are some that have done so, just can't think of any off the top of my head.

sunshine

Visit site
I think after this debacle Ryder Cup Europe would very firmly cover their arse contractually on the next appointment. Put some watertight clauses in there saying they can sue the candidate if they also jump ship, or such-and-such. They're not going to get burned twice.

Sue them for what?

Sadly I think swango is right, and there’s not much the European tour can do about it. Liv has unlimited cash and and buy just about anyone.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I wonder if the Tournament Commitee pondered who would be Captain, before they took it off Stenson? Obviously like to think so, but who will take it on? Like Jacklin said - they won't be picking the best players - they'll be picking the players that are eligible.

Jon Rahm made his feelings pretty clear on the matter when discussing his mate Sergio.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many defections would it take for them to cancel it ?
At the moment Casey the only Euro that quite possibly would make the team who is ineligible. US team more likely the one that would render it a sham competition next year.
What top Euros are you still expecting or hopeful of getting Mel ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Wonder what ol' Samuel Ryder would have thought of all this. Meant to be professionals from different continents playing against each other. Not a pawn being used between rival businesses.
I always saw it as United States versus European. Regardless of what Tours they played their golf on. I think it is crazy that the Ryder Cup could be severely diminished based on the whole LIV issue. It could have been intriguing. How would pairs be picked. Keep Thomas and Spieth away from Bryson and Brooks in the pairs? McIlroy versus Bryson in singles. It could have been quite an entertaining event.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wonder what ol' Samuel Ryder would have thought of all this. Meant to be professionals from different continents playing against each other. Not a pawn being used between rival businesses.
Totally agree! This is why I thought it was petty for Ryder Cup Europe to remove Stenson. Why should it matter what tour they are on - I thought it was USA vs Europe not USA PGA tour members vs European PGA or European Tour members. In terms of the team selections as well - they might not pick up enough ranking points to qualify automatically by not playing on the requisite tours, but they should still be eligible for a wildcard pick.

Swango1980

Visit site
Totally agree! This is why I thought it was petty for Ryder Cup Europe to remove Stenson. Why should it matter what tour they are on - I thought it was USA vs Europe not USA PGA tour members vs European PGA or European Tour members. In terms of the team selections as well - they might not pick up enough ranking points to qualify automatically by not playing on the requisite tours, but they should still be eligible for a wildcard pick.
Exactly. It is not as if McIlroy could ever play on the US team because he is a member of the PGA Tour, or some American could come over and play on the European Tour, and represent Europe.

Springveldt

Visit site

Are there though? Outside of the younger guys like Rory, Rahm, Fitz etc who else wouldn't turn it down? Do you think if LIV offered Luke Donald £50M to join he would still want the Ryder Cup gig? It would probably need to be someone who isn't playing anymore and more than likely a past captain like McGinley, Faldo, Monty etc

As strange as it sounds maybe LIV has just made the Ryder Cup more competitive again. We just need LIV to sign a few more top American's like Cantlay, Burns, Berger and maybe a Cam Young as well to even out the depth of the teams a little.

D

Deleted member 15344

Harry Kane wants to go to Arsenal because they will double his pay but he wants to also come back and play just CL for Spurs - do you think it would be petty for Spurs to say no ?

And the eligibility of who plays in either team is pretty clear for years now - the player needs to be a member of the ET , just being European doesn’t mean they are eligible , if someone isn’t a member of the ET then they don’t get picked - I’m sure you will all remember Casey cancelling his ET membership and Knox not being a member when the 2014/16 RC happened and neither could play

The PGA tour and ET tour are the ones that organise their event

Exactly. It is not as if McIlroy could ever play on the US team because he is a member of the PGA Tour, or some American could come over and play on the European Tour, and represent Europe.

But if he wasn’t a member of the ET ( as some Europeans are ) then he couldn’t be picked - its a known entity

Are there though? Outside of the younger guys like Rory, Rahm, Fitz etc who else wouldn't turn it down? Do you think if LIV offered Luke Donald £50M to join he would still want the Ryder Cup gig? It would probably need to be someone who isn't playing anymore and more than likely a past captain like McGinley, Faldo, Monty etc

As strange as it sounds maybe LIV has just made the Ryder Cup more competitive again. We just need LIV to sign a few more top American's like Cantlay, Burns, Berger and maybe a Cam Young as well to even out the depth of the teams a little.

yes I think Donald would turn it down just like Lawrie would , Bjorn , Molinari , Karlsson

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Harry Kane wants to go to Arsenal because they will double his pay but he wants to also come back and play just CL for Spurs - do you think it would be petty for Spurs to say no ?

And the eligibility of who plays in either team is pretty clear for years now - the player needs to be a member of the ET , just being European doesn’t mean they are eligible , if someone isn’t a member of the ET then they don’t get picked - I’m sure you will all remember Casey cancelling his ET membership and Knox not being a member when the 2014/16 RC happened and neither could play

But if he wasn’t a member of the ET ( as some Europeans are ) then he couldn’t be picked - its a known entity
Your football example is just ridiculous so we'll skip over that.

The reason Stenson and others are no longer a member of the ET is because they elected to revoke their membership out of pettiness. Otherwise they would have kept membership to both tours. I still think more will go over to LIV in the next year and the Ryder Cup will have to change their criteria, or face the prospect of a poor competition with 50% of the big names missing.

Springveldt

Visit site

yes I think Donald would turn it down just like Lawrie would , Bjorn , Molinari , Karlsson
You would hope they would but I don't think you can really say one way or the other if they are being offered £50M. That kind of money sets up their families for generations.

D

Deleted member 15344

Your football example is just ridiculous so we'll skip over that.

The reason Stenson and others are no longer a member of the ET is because they elected to revoke their membership out of pettiness. Otherwise they would have kept membership to both tours. I still think more will go over to LIV in the next year and the Ryder Cup will have to change their criteria, or face the prospect of a poor competition with 50% of the big names missing.

Why skip over it ? The football analogy has been used to justify the players moving to LiV ?

Is it not a case if Stenson wanting the best of both worlds ? Everything suited for him as opposed to what suits the ET Ryder Cup ?

Can you really not see why they wouldn’t want their captain to be involved in what’s essentially right now a rival Tour that’s threatening the ET ? Why on Earth would they allow their Captain to go off to the LiV tour ? The LIV events are at the same time as some ET events - surely the captain should be fully focused on that or the PGA event where some of his players will be playing ?

It’s not petty , it’s not silly - it’s very sensible to remove him from the captaincy - Stenson had a choice , and he picked the money ?, that’s his choice at the end of the day , but he and indeed all the others can’t have their cake on all sides of the fence , they make their choices knowing the potential consequences so it’s now up to them to live with them

You would hope they would but I don't think you can really say one way or the other if they are being offered £50M. That kind of money sets up their families for generations.

And I suspect most of them have already that level of money to set themselves up .

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My guess is that both the US and Euro tours will eventually have to just allow the LIV players to retain membership and everything will just carry on as normal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why skip over it ? The football analogy has been used to justify the players moving to LiV ?

Is it not a case if Stenson wanting the best of both worlds ? Everything suited for him as opposed to what suits the ET Ryder Cup ?

Can you really not see why they wouldn’t want their captain to be involved in what’s essentially right now a rival Tour that’s threatening the ET ? Why on Earth would they allow their Captain to go off to the LiV tour ? The LIV events are at the same time as some ET events - surely the captain should be fully focused on that or the PGA event where some of his players will be playing ?

It’s not petty , it’s not silly - it’s very sensible to remove him from the captaincy - Stenson had a choice , and he picked the money ?, that’s his choice at the end of the day , but he and indeed all the others can’t have their cake on all sides of the fence , they make their choices knowing the potential consequences so it’s now up to them to live with them

And I suspect most of them have already that level of money to set themselves up .
Because it was total nonsense. Players are contracted exclusively to their clubs and play in competitions their club qualifies for. Whereas golfers play for themselves and have played whatever events suit them.

The only thing threatening the ET tour is their own attitude at the moment. There's only what, ten LIV events a year?? The ET members who went over would have continued to play a good number of ET events, probably the same handful of events that they always played for the most part.

I'm not knocking any golfer for taking the deal and doing what's best for them. If someone offered me twice my wages and every Friday off I'd probably take it as well.