Who would you pick as Europe's wild cards?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well surprised that Rose was picked over Poulter so Rose will be a VC

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Pretty sure Harrington has ended up with the decision he didnt want to make and wouldve preferred Lowry to qualify automatically

For me Lowry and Garcia are certs and its close between Poulter and Rose. Poulter been better over the last 6 mths or so but fair play to Rose for his round today. Think he'll pick Poulter but wouldnt be shocked either way

Hope you rang the bookie first!

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure Harrington has ended up with the decision he didnt want to make and wouldve preferred Lowry to qualify automatically

For me Lowry and Garcia are certs and its close between Poulter and Rose. Poulter been better over the last 6 mths or so but fair play to Rose for his round today. Think he'll pick Poulter but wouldnt be shocked either way
You called it sir

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Europe’s team is terrible. One world class player in Rahm, one soon to be superstar on Hovland and a bunch of has beens, or never will be’s.

I think they will struggle to get 10 points.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Europe’s team is terrible. One world class player in Rahm, one soon to be superstar on Hovland and a bunch of has beens, or never will be’s.

I think they will struggle to get 10 points.

I am not sure Rory is a has-been just yet. Lowry has won more majors than Cantlay, Schauffele, Finau, English, and Berger.

Every US side has a much higher ranking set of players. Even in the Seve, Faldo and Langer days, the European lower order was way below the US lower order. Matchplay is a funny beast, otherwise we wouldn't have some of the results we have had in recent years.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Rose is ahead of both Garcia and Poulter in world rankings and two behind Lowery, Yet he is not in the team. I must be missing something.If he has not had a good year, what does it say of the other two

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Rose is ahead of both Garcia and Poulter in world rankings and two behind Lowery, Yet he is not in the team. I must be missing something.If he has not had a good year, what does it say of the other two
World rankings are over 2 years. Putting is a big factor in matchplay, which may be a factor.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not sure Rory is a has-been just yet. Lowry has won more majors than Cantlay, Schauffele, Finau, English, and Berger.

Every US side has a much higher ranking set of players. Even in the Seve, Faldo and Langer days, the European lower order was way below the US lower order. Matchplay is a funny beast, otherwise we wouldn't have some of the results we have had in recent years.

We can agree to disagree on Rory.

Of all the Europeans trying to play their way into the team this weekend an American who can’t get in the team beat them all.
They are obviously good players but not good enough. It’s rare to see any of them competing regularly in the big tournaments.

I’m well aware that the European team has been weaker in the most and won but I think there in for a heavy defeat this time.

Grizzly

Visit site
The World rankings wouldn't bother me - the fact is, standard US events are disproportionately weighted to European ones which influences this heavily. And I think he got the picks right for what it is worth, though he must have been gutted that Lowry missed out to Wiesberger and Westwood, because I doubt either would have got a pick. What would concern me is that Whistling Straits is Very ****ing Long, and, Rahm and Rory aside (oh, and Sergio... Statistically at least) there isn't a huge amount of length in the European team.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
World rankings are over 2 years. Putting is a big factor in matchplay, which may be a factor.
Might well be but Poulter has not moved anywhere in those two years and has consistently been behind Rose,

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We can agree to disagree on Rory.

Of all the Europeans trying to play their way into the team this weekend an American who can’t get in the team beat them all.
They are obviously good players but not good enough. It’s rare to see any of them competing regularly in the big tournaments.

I’m well aware that the European team has been weaker in the most and won but I think there in for a heavy defeat this time.

OK, you may be right, but we'll see.