Who would you pick as Europe's wild cards?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It seems that Sergio Garcia and Ian Poulter will get the nod on Sunday night which leaves a few hopefuls

Assuming the team stays as it is who would you pick as the third and why? Or do you think Garcia/Poulter aren't locks?

Think I'd go with Henrik Stenson as back bang in form, easy to partner, good energy etc ahead of Justin Rose, Bob MacIntyre, Bernd Wiesberger, Victor Perez, anyone else

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe Wiesberger is next in the rankings so really it should be him. If not then I would go MacIntyre.

I'm not a fan of 'going for experience'. You go with who is playing well, who has played well.

I'm utterly sure that Garcia and Poulter will already have had the call to say they are in.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Viktor Hovland, he's young lad that's placed in the top 10 seven times this year in 24 events, currently sitting 10th in the race to Dubai and those above him are either American, already picked or no eligible to play the Ryder cup.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd take the Højgaard fella (both of them)

Swap them about to get a fresh one across the three days, Who's gonna know, they're already wearing the same kit!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Viktor Hovland, he's young lad that's placed in the top 10 seven times this year in 24 events, currently sitting 10th in the race to Dubai and those above him are either American, already picked or no eligible to play the Ryder cup.

He's def in already I think

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's def in already I think

Oh bugger he is isn't he - had to google the team sheet and overlooked him! Well I'd better rethink - Richard Brand then why not he's got experience and has been playing well recently.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Poults goes for sure. Would be some shout to leave Garcia out with his record.

There'll be some disappointed players. I'd love Lowry to go, amiable fella and hopefully his relationship with Harrington tips it in his favour..... plus, he'd be a decent partner and won't be bothered where you leave him round the greens. Rose might be a miss in the team, and funny enough I don't think you could go wrong having him, or Stenson, in the team. MacIntyre, Weisberger and Noren would be disappointed and maybe Harrington can justify leaving them out by going for experience. But I'd still go with Lowry!

D

Deleted member 15344

Poulter and Garcia will be in

If Lowry missed out because of Weisburger then it would be Lowry

If Lowry in then Justin Rose

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Justin rose isn’t picked I’ll be in shock. Decent showing a couple of weeks back and a proven Ryder cup performer

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why Garcia & Poulter are shoo-ins but Rose isn't. Not that I desperately want Rose in there as I don't think he's the player he was. I wouldn't take Garcia either to be honest, but I would take Poulter as he consistently raises his game for the Ryder Cup. I'm just not sure why Rose isn't being spoken in the same terms as the other two.

I think Wiesberger has been solid all year, and MacIntyre is a cracking golfer that would give you something a bit different to the team. So either of them would be good.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d take Rose, Garcia and Stenson
Pouter wouldn’t get my pick, other than as another assistant.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
How quickly could we make Patrick Reed a citizen of a European country?

Rose can't putt, Poulter just isn't that good. Make him a VC is they really want a hype man. Garcia has been playing well and his ball striking will do well round Whistling Straights.

Depending on where the cut falls. I'd take Bob and Lowery.

www.hiltonpark.net
Europe are in that tricky position where there big guns, Garcia, Rose, Poulter, Westwood are all on the slide and this may be one Ryder Cup too much. I'd take MacIntyre, I think he has the mental game for a comp like this and plenty of game.

Grizzly

Visit site
As I understand it, two of Lowry, Westwood and Wiesberger make up the nine?

I think it depends who misses out. Lowry is a good wind player, and would certainly be worth a pick. If its Westwood, much as I like the bloke, I don't think you should go with him, Garcia and Poulter as it is already an aging team. As others have said, MacIntyre seems a tough little sod and well made for matchplay.

D

Deleted member 1147

How quickly could we make Patrick Reed a citizen of a European country?

Rose can't putt, Poulter just isn't that good. Make him a VC is they really want a hype man. Garcia has been playing well and his ball striking will do well round Whistling Straights.

Depending on where the cut falls. I'd take Bob and Lowery.
Rose = 36th Strokes gained putting this season in the PGA tour