Who is still moaning?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just can’t see why anyone would refuse a polite request if the player asks.
People have said they would refuse point blank but are happy to look in the rough for 3mins for a ball.
I just don’t get it.
Just manners imo.

Going back to the original post I replied to, the individual who posted it and the scenario he posted, I would 100% refuse to tend the flag for that individual in that scenario as I know he's doing it just to be awkward. He's engaging in gamesmanship and therefore gets an appropriate response IMO.

I would not point blank refuse to tend the flag for anyone/everyone in any/all scenarios even though in my view it's daft as if you are so far away you can't see the hole then having it's tended is pointless.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even with ready golf not sure I've seen a significant pace of play improvement. People from distance going first and then a decision as to in and out with in's going next. Still not quick but at least we know where we are. Definitely no-one tending

Out of interest, and apologise for harking on about this but in a stroke play event (assuming that includes stableford) if a player asks for the flag to be attended do the other PP's have any right or standing to ignore the request?
I don’t think it’s in the rules so yes they can say no.
It’s a etiquette thing I would say.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going back to the original post I replied to, the individual who posted it and the scenario he posted, I would 100% refuse to tend the flag for that individual in that scenario as I know he's doing it just to be awkward. He's engaging in gamesmanship and therefore gets an appropriate response IMO.

I would not point blank refuse to tend the flag for anyone/everyone in any/all scenarios even though in my view its daft as if you are so far away you can't see the hole then having it's tended is pointless.
Do you play tiered greens you don’t have to be very far away not to see the hole.
As far as gamesmanship goes I try not to get involved with that .but if my op wants to I can do it if I want to.
Played in the scratch league for a long time and seen most things.
But I always thought it put me off trying to be clever when not necessary and let my golf do the talking.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you play tiered greens you don’t have to be very far away not to see the hole.
As far as gamesmanship goes I try not to get involved with that .but if my op wants to I can do it if I want to.
Played in the scratch league for a long time and seen most things.
But I always thought it put me off trying to be clever when not necessary and let my golf do the talking.

I'm actually very similar, I almost never engage in any sort of gamesmanship but sometimes it is a necessary evil for certain individuals. As you say, best not to go overboard so as not to affect your own golf but the odd bit here and there is required from time to time to let others know you know what they're up to.

Yes I do play on tiered greens but as someone who is happy to have the flag in as well as out, I'm happy with the change as I much prefer it not to be tended in those scenarios. I always found the 2 shot penalty rule daft and I'm glad it's gone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t think it’s in the rules so yes they can say no.
It’s a etiquette thing I would say.
We have several tiered greens and several with big contours and so there is a chance if a ball is heading to the hole it may do so especially downhill or down a tier, at pace. As a result I can see a case of having it attended as I'd be too far away to see the hole with the flag out and it would be likely to hot the flag at pace and stay out if its on line. I'd be pretty miffed if a PP said no in that scenario to the point if I was being overly petty not look for their balls and start timing their searches. I know two wrongs and all that but for the very few occasions these days a flag is asked to be attended I wouldn't consider an unreasonable request

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have several tiered greens and several with big contours and so there is a chance if a ball is heading to the hole it may do so especially downhill or down a tier, at pace. As a result I can see a case of having it attended as I'd be too far away to see the hole with the flag out and it would be likely to hot the flag at pace and stay out if its on line. I'd be pretty miffed if a PP said no in that scenario to the point if I was being overly petty not look for their balls and start timing their searches. I know two wrongs and all that but for the very few occasions these days a flag is asked to be attended I wouldn't consider an unreasonable request
Yes it’s not to much to ask imo

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Im sorry, its just bonkers, the only reason to have it tended was to avoid th very slight chance of a 2 shot pen.
That problem no longer exists, I would never ask someone to tend the flag. Its a waste of both our times.

User20204

Visit site
Never once seen this nonsense that appears to be happening south of Hadrian's wall.

Agreed, never yet seen anyone subsequently ask for the flag to be reinstated after it has been removed. In my experience, almost everyone now putts with the flag in up until they get in close, say within 10 feet, outside that distance it's not even asked.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never once seen this nonsense that appears to be happening south of Hadrian's wall.
Has your pace of play over the whole field been quicker.?
Ours has stayed the same .
We waited on almost every shot on Saturday and 4.05 hrs 4bbb on a shortened course was painful.
Some people just won’t go quicker no matter what you say to them, they have skin like Rhinos.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Agreed, never yet seen anyone subsequently ask for the flag to be reinstated after it has been removed. In my experience, almost everyone now putts with the flag in up until they get in close, say within 10 feet, outside that distance it's not even asked.
Same here, I'm happy to keep it in all the time, but once it's out in not going to ask to have it put back in.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Initially I thought I'd never like, nor get used to, putting with the flag in. Now I prefer it in. But if someone wants it out, fair enough - and it then stays out.

Not noticed any change in pace of play - but then I never previously encountered any real hokey-cokey with the flag which supposedly caused delays.Who were those supposed culprits, I just don't know?

Yes, have noticed damage to holes - generally by people trying to flick the ball out the hole with the stick. If the flag is carefully lifted, then the ball picked out, no real issue. But too many people try the "flick" - which does cause problems.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has your pace of play over the whole field been quicker.?
Ours has stayed the same .
We waited on almost every shot on Saturday and 4.05 hrs 4bbb on a shortened course was painful.
Some people just won’t go quicker no matter what you say to them, they have skin like Rhinos.

To be honest I find 9/10 times are quicker. However on Sunday when a lot of winter league ties were out the pace of play was dreadfully slow.

I would certainly say the amount of farting about in medals has decreased and you keep moving more freely now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which seems to be the case every where, yet before the rule came in, on here there were many who said it'll be like the hokey cokey, but that just hasn't transpired in reality.
There were the hokey Kokey games at first but players have got used to it now.
It’s 50/50 at my place in or out.
But almost all are sensible about it now.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've not really noticed any difference other than more holes being damaged. Have always left it in when playing on my own, mostly in when playing golf with Mrs Wedge, or Wedge Junior, however when playing in our swindle, a fair few of the lads still want it out, and have half lifted it out before asking whether I want it left in, at which point I'm mostly "yeah, out's fine" to save having them put it back in etc. The only time I really will take it out for myself is shorter putts in comps.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Im sorry, its just bonkers, the only reason to have it tended was to avoid th very slight chance of a 2 shot pen.
That problem no longer exists, I would never ask someone to tend the flag. Its a waste of both our times.

I disagree. On a downhill putt where the ball will invariably travel faster I think there is more chance of it hitting a flag and staying out and so for that reason alone I'd want it attended so if I had hit it on line it had a chance to hit all of the hole and drop or at least hit the hole and slow down. I get the fact we use to attend for the penalty rule but although it is rare to ask for a flag to be attended it could still be an option and one I'd still do for a PP and expect a return of that courtesy.