Who is still moaning?

User20204

Visit site
I know most greenkeepers aren't to happy about it due to the holes getting damaged. I've personally pulled the pin with the ball still in a number of times.

Why anyone would still want the flag tended is a bit strange, I certainly wouldn't be tending it for anyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never heard anyone asking for it tended. I leave it in for most of my putts, there are occasional ones I take it out for - usually 3-4 footers with a bit of break because I feel better about those with it out of the way for some reason. That may only be three of four putts per round anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know most greenkeepers aren't to happy about it due to the holes getting damaged. I've personally pulled the pin with the ball still in a number of times.

Why anyone would still want the flag tended is a bit strange, I certainly wouldn't be tending it for anyone.

You see - if I was playing with you and asked you to attend the flag then I'd expect you to respect my wishes and do so without question - as I would do if I were so asked.

That I can't recall the last time I asked for the flag to be attended - or heard anyone request so - is neither here nor there.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All seems good at my place, there is only ever someone wanting it out on short ones, but at that range everyone seems to agree. So once its out its out, none of this in and out business. We usually have the same group of guys that play in the mornings, so everyone gets to know each others preference.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Along with ready golf has increased speed of play for most, but still some really slow players out there unfortunately. Seem to have no regard for anyone else on the course.:(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Along with ready golf has increased speed of play for most, but still some really slow players out there unfortunately. Seem to have no regard for anyone else on the course.:(
I think those people will always be around regardless of what the rest of us do to try and speed things up.
I bet they're the ones doing 25 in a 40 limit as well.....

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Def speeds things up and I think as the year moved on, more and more people were keeping it in at all times.

Problems - as others have said, damage to holes with people pulling the pin after holing out. In reality, this is as bad as not replacing divots or repairing pitch marks and unfortunately there will be people who continue to do it and cause undue wear and tear on the course.

Other, more important one, is elevated greens. You can see the top of the flag but not necessarily the people - will likely be very few greens where they probably would have a taller flag (our 12th is one). Previously you could have confidence that if the flag was in, you were ok to go - perhaps needs a bell or a horn.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They should extend it to all balls remain in the hole and last one to putt out gets all of them (unless playing gimmees, of course).

It saves a lot more traffic of feet around the hole.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
We’ve had several emails from the club reminding people not to pull the flag with the ball still in. Think it might be working as I haven’t seen anybody do it for a while.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Def speeds things up and I think as the year moved on, more and more people were keeping it in at all times.

Problems - as others have said, damage to holes with people pulling the pin after holing out. In reality, this is as bad as not replacing divots or repairing pitch marks and unfortunately there will be people who continue to do it and cause undue wear and tear on the course.

Other, more important one, is elevated greens. You can see the top of the flag but not necessarily the people - will likely be very few greens where they probably would have a taller flag (our 12th is one). Previously you could have confidence that if the flag was in, you were ok to go - perhaps needs a bell or a horn.

Cracking hole your 12th (well the whole course is cracking). Really tough - all uphill and standing over 2nd shot I found it hard to position the green in my head. Back when I were a lad I'd be playing driver - 2w. :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I probably have the flag out 85% of the time

Two reasons - bounce out and why reduce the target from a little over 4 inches to under 2 inches. With our flagsticks the target is not much bigger than a ball.

The thing that takes the most time with some I pay with they refuse to play first even when on a totally different line if they are the closest to the hole and what the flag left in.

It all works very well if those that want the flag left in go first.

D

Deleted member 15344

I still wouldn't tend it either. Absolutely no requirement.
It would either be in or out but certainly not tended.

Here we go again

I would expect as it’s within the rules to be allowed to have the flag tended that I would expect golfers to follow etiquette and respect others wishes on the golf course

If someone would like the pin tended then I would hope people would carry out that wish regardless of people’s own beliefs.

I saw it happen in the Solhiem Cup and also seen it happen on tour events - so until it’s now longer allowed there is no acceptable reason for you both to refuse a polite request